10 gallon/First planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
10 gallon/First planted tank

[IMG][/IMG]
This is my first planted tank that i have done. Looking forward to the journey.

Equipment:
standard 10 gallon tank
hydor inline heater
SunSun canister filter
Current Satellite LED

Substrate:
Fluval Stratum Soil

Fish:
4 barbs (to help cycle tank)
school of neon tetras (once tank is cycled)

Inverts:
crystal red shrimp (do not have yet)

Plants:
Have one stem plant don't know name
more to come soon

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 10:06 PM
Algae Grower

Nice First setup! seems like your off to a good start.

One thing I quickly noticed is that You placed your substrate equally everywhere in the tank. I would Recommand adding more substrate to the tank(Really slowly to avoid clouding the tank) and create a slope starting from the back going downwards to the front. Using this technique adds more depth to the aquascape when viewing the tank.

My .02 cents

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano-Nater View Post
Nice First setup! seems like your off to a good start.

One thing I quickly noticed is that You placed your substrate equally everywhere in the tank. I would Recommand adding more substrate to the tank(Really slowly to avoid clouding the tank) and create a slope starting from the back going downwards to the front. Using this technique adds more depth to the aquascape when viewing the tank.

My .02 cents
thanks..i agree it is really flat. i was even looking at it today thinking it needed more in the back..i appreciate your 2 cents.

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ians_tank View Post
thanks..i agree it is really flat. i was even looking at it today thinking it needed more in the back..i appreciate your 2 cents.
How about making some holes for rocks and pushing some of the substrate over them?

Perhaps this thread will give you some inspiration.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was thinking of using the Fluval mini Co2 20 system that uses disposable cartridges, but feel that it will rack up cost quick because of buying cartridges every so often. Has anyone used this system on a 10gallon tank before?
I was think of using AP1 CO2 booster, AP1 root tabs, and maybe Flourish Excel instead of getting a CO2 kit.
Any opinions?
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
I was thinking of using the Fluval mini Co2 20 system that uses disposable cartridges, but feel that it will rack up cost quick because of buying cartridges every so often. Has anyone used this system on a 10gallon tank before?
I tried it for a few weeks in my 10g. A royal PITA! You have to open and close the valve everyday. I keep it for emergencies. You can get the Co2 cartridges they use for bikes to save on the costs.

I upgraded to the Aquatek Mini Paintball Regulator (http://www.amazon.com/AQUATEK-OF-CALIFORNIA-Regulator-Mini/dp/B008TJCPSY) and couldn't be happier. 1 5lb tank has lasted me about 5 months now and still going. I have it on a timer and disperse it w/ an Elite Mini Underwater Filter, which provides terrific water movement.

Welcome aboard and good luck!

post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemacnyc View Post
I tried it for a few weeks in my 10g. A royal PITA! You have to open and close the valve everyday. I keep it for emergencies. You can get the Co2 cartridges they use for bikes to save on the costs.

I upgraded to the Aquatek Mini Paintball Regulator (Amazon.com : AQUATEK CO2 Regulator Mini : Paintball Regulator : Pet Supplies) and couldn't be happier. 1 5lb tank has lasted me about 5 months now and still going. I have it on a timer and disperse it w/ an Elite Mini Underwater Filter, which provides terrific water movement.

Welcome aboard and good luck!
thank you for the advice and the link.
I think I will be trying Flourish Excel and AP1 CO2 booster for awhile to see how it goes. Im trying to keep this build budgeted.

Bump: *Update* (kinda)
went to lfs for a water test to see how the water parameters are after 14 days of cycling. Found out all the ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite are just starting to build up and advised to just let the tank sit for another 4 weeks before getting the water parameters checked again.
forgot how long it took to cycle a freshwater tank because my last tank was a saltwater tank which cycled fairly fast. haven't had a freshwater tank in over a year, so looks like i forgot how long it takes to cycle a fw tank.
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I think I will be trying Flourish Excel and AP1 CO2 booster for awhile to see how it goes. Im trying to keep this build budgeted.

Bump: *Update* (kinda)
went to lfs for a water test to see how the water parameters are after 14 days of cycling. Found out all the ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite are just starting to build up and advised to just let the tank sit for another 4 weeks before getting the water parameters checked again.
forgot how long it took to cycle a freshwater tank because my last tank was a saltwater tank which cycled fairly fast. haven't had a freshwater tank in over a year, so looks like i forgot how long it takes to cycle a fw tank.
Adding stem plants will speed up the cycle.

Excel alternative Metricide or Cidex. Not cidex odt. Excel has 1.5% Glut. A quart is approx $25 at fleebay At dealmed.com 1 gallon $18.20. shipping $9.99 (1.5 x container)/ cidex glut% = glut (1.5% * 100ml)/2.5%. 300ml of 2.5%(Metricide 28) + 200ml water = 500ml bottle

Here is a cheap pressurized system under $100.

Last edited by Hilde; 07-08-2015 at 02:19 AM. Reason: link deleted
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post

Excel alternative Metricide or Cidex. Not cidex odt. Excel has 1.5% Glut. A quart is approx $25 at fleebay At dealmed.com 1 gallon $18.20. shipping $9.99 (1.5 x container)/ cidex glut% = glut (1.5% * 100ml)/2.5%. 300ml of 2.5%(Metricide 28) + 200ml water = 500ml bottle
Calculator

Thanks for the info!

Do you know if its bad to start dosing co2 booster and ferts before the tank is fully cycled? will it mess anything up?

The stem plant i have in the tank now is starting to have a lot of its leaves falling off so i was wondering if i can start adding the co2 booster and ferts without them screwing up the cycling process.
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post

Calculator

Thank you for the info!
Do you know if i start dosing co2 booster and ferts if it will mess up the cycling of the tank?
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the info
do you know if dosing ferts and co2 booster will screw up the cycling of the tank?
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 11:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
thanks for the info
do you know if dosing ferts and co2 booster will screw up the cycling of the tank?
It won't
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

**Update**
Bought Flourish Excel and API CO2 booster to dose the tank with
Got a new plant: Hygrophila difformis

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

*Update*
Its been about 12 day since i got the Hygrophila difformis and started dosing CO2 booster and Flourish. I have seen great growth with this plant and my other plant the red in the top leaves has stayed.

Will i be able to grow dwarf baby tears by dosing and have it carpet? or does it need a co2 system?
Also does anyone have any suggestion on any background plants to get? Any other suggestions regarding the scaping of the tank?

[IMG][/IMG]

[/IMG]
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Will i be able to grow dwarf baby tears by dosing and have it carpet? or does it need a co2 system?

Also does anyone have any suggestion on any background plants to get? Any other suggestions regarding the scaping of the tank?
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis or Marsilea Minuta would definitely grow in your tank. I have not had any luck with baby tears without injecting Co2.

Corkscrew vals would look nice. For more ideas check out rah-bops tank here.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode