LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to timme278
tim's 20g tank :)

well.... ive been wanting to do this tank for about 6 months now

but here we go

my plannes for the tank is plants plant and some more plants, allong with some crystal shrimp & endlers

and due to a over the top mum, this is the bigest tank she would let me get & i think im going to have to go for a dreaded internal filter for the time being which suckssss

the tank is a 24"(long)x15"(high)x12"(deep) clearseal tank

and now for the billions of pictures....
the tank, sorry for it being blury

old camping mat for the base, i think polestirine looks horrible

£40 worth sand

a twig in my sand, almost like they just dug the sand up from their garden...

how dirty it was after an hour of washing the 2 bags (did it separatly in a 1.5gallon pot)

i found this peice of "redmoor wood" on ebay, tape measure to show its size

what you think of the driftwood placement?

sadly, not much will change in the next week or so, as i get payed thrusdays and then have to await for the postman to bring my lighting unit & plants

thanks guys and girls. critism, good and bad would be nice

tim

Last edited by timme278; 05-31-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 05:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
So far so good. I'm a little concerned over this "internal filter" you mention. They never look good.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 05:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Love that wood!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyNYC View Post
So far so good. I'm a little concerned over this "internal filter" you mention. They never look good.
yeh i know:/ im going to try put it as low as i can and cover it with plants so its invisible, or ill just ignore mum and ordewr a filter from internet lol

post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, I decided I didnít like the slope at the end of the tank as it looked realy fake and im going for the o naturell look. So I found the rest of the sand I didnít use, washed it and plopped it into the tank for some rescaping

My aquascaping tool of choise

The tank now

The sand depth at the front, will this be okay for growing hc cuba?

The depth on the hill in the back right hand corner

And here is an awful photoshop but this is my planting plan ish

Green Ė hc cuba
Red Ė flame moss on driftwood (get it, flame, red lol)
Yellow - Nesaea pedicellata and a bushy plant, hoping you can help with the busy plant? I donít want combodia carrolina (how ever its spelt) because I find that most of the leaves melt off and im left scouping up leaves ever 10 seconds and left with a bare steam....

Thankyou peopleeee

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 05:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
I'm growing HC with 1" substrate in one tank, and 1.5" in another. It's more than adequate for it to latch onto.
One thing I'm not sure of though, is how effective the sand is for growing a carpet plant like that. It'll work, but I know plants with small thin roots like HC work good with porous, clay substrates that the roots can latch into and cling hold to. I'm literally unable to lift any of the carpet I have in either tank with regular Flourite or Eco-Complete without tons of substrate coming along with it.
Also, if you want a carpet that big, go for the dry start method. IME, let it start emmersed for about 3 or 4 weeks. The root system will grow and be strong and well developed, you won't notice TONS of growth but the important part will be established.
After that month or so, flood the tank, get the rest of your plants in and for the method to be most effective dose ferts and add Co2 either DIY or pressurized. If its anything like mine and others, growth of the HC after flooding will be explosive. For that month you could avoid having to use the internal filter and save up for a nice canister filter.

For the back corner, if it was a smaller tank I'd suggest some HM, but I don't know how well that'd work in a 20. I'd personally suggest a plant between the driftwood and the HC, maybe some hairgrass or something that will stay below that branch shooting out from the driftwood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i think the saving for a canister is the best idea ive heard yet & with the diy co2, im all up for trying it, just dont want it to explode in my room or for it to pump too much into my tank and fish & shrimp die due to too much co2 and i can order my lighting unit tomorow so ill order some hc cuba as well and get that going for a good few weeks & whilst thats getting rooted out, ill be saving my wages for a canister and lily pipes

without adding co2 could i just fert...
seachem flourish
seachem flourish nitrogen
seachem flourish phosphorus
seachem flourish postassium

because i dont feel ready for co2 & it would be my luck it would explode

thanks rrrrramos, and btw, im a huge fan of your 2.5 nano

edit:
got a tad bored so thought id waste some time doing another awful photoshop...
i know it will look completly different and without the red drawing (i couldnt find a suitable flame moss picture...

i still cant help but wonder what could go at the back behind the driftwood

and i feel it needs something in the empty corner, might try some hairgrass but your thoughts are welcome as usual and will help me LOTS

Last edited by timme278; 06-03-2009 at 04:22 PM.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

The chances of it exploding are pretty slim. I've had mine going in tons of different sized containers for the past 6 months and the only problem I ran into was accidentally leaving a gas separator connected to the tank overnight without the Co2 even hooked up to it. If its a big enough worry just put it in a 5gal bucket with a lid on top. But you're really more likely for it to blow the diffuser off the end of the tube than it to build up enough pressure to explode the thing.

And don't forget the Excel in there! Seachem is a little pricey but should be fine.

|

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

oh i didnt think excel was okay with crystal shrimp?

anyone else for ideas what to put with the Nesaea pedicellata at the back behind the driftwood? i want a bushy plant but wont melt like comboda carrolina

thankyou

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timme278 View Post
oh i didnt think excel was okay with crystal shrimp?

anyone else for ideas what to put with the Nesaea pedicellata at the back behind the driftwood? i want a bushy plant but wont melt like comboda carrolina

thankyou
My brother has been dosing the recommended amount of excel in his shrimp tank. They seem to be fine... just don't over dose it

Eheim Pimp #430

post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i might be temped to try excel or easycarbo on my 3 gallon tank and have 2 crystal shrimp in their and see how it goes :/

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
hey timme! lets see... in this kind of tank, i think you should plant a bunch of HM in front of the driftwood, and maybe some blyxa japonica behind it. Nesaea gets pretty leggy, so i don't think you'll be all that satisfied with it, even once its acclimated and grown in. (btw the other plant is Cabomba caroliniana. although cabombas never melt, so i'm not sure what plant you are talking about. It's probably because you don't have CO2 or high enough lighting. Cambodia is a country, not a plant, :P)

CO2 is much more important to plants than fertilizers. don't even bother fertilizing unless you have high light and CO2 already set up, you'll just get a TON of algae.

Also, i am trying to grow HC cuba in about 1" of substrate, and i really wish i had more. If i were you, i'd move that up to 1.5" or 2".

Wilson

- As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!

, last updated 1/14
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ooooo i like the Blyxa japonica idea looks quite nice and it only grows to 15cm
but i think the hm would grow to high and wouldnt be able to see the driftwood, after all the driftwood is only 9" high at the highest point, the bit bit sticking out is only 5" high

and i would like to have it deeper at the front but another bag of sand is £20, ill see how the money funds go

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

What will you be doing about lighting? I just skimmed the thread and didn't see anything about it. HM will stay pretty short in high light, It actually started carpeting in my brothers 20g that had a ton of light over it.
I'll always recommend Blyxa, its one of my favorite plants, but it can be a PITA to start off with sometimes. Once you get it growing right though, it can make the scape.
For that back corner, I think once a plant has been decided on for behind the driftwood, you should either use the same thing on the opposite side, or pick something that contrasts well with it.

|

post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

sorry, the lighting is 2x24 watt t5ho lighting
which i orderd last night so should be here within the next couple of days

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode