Torpedo's 29G Planted Native Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Aquascaper = Artist

PTrader: (104/100%)
Torpedo's 29G Planted Native Tank

I decided to go a cheap route and make my 29 gallon a native tank. I am using all materials from the wild. Plants and Fish too.

I picked up a few weeks back some plants from a local marshland. I had them planted in my 10g tank and they are doing good. I decided to take some of the sms with the topsoil mixed in already from my 75g rescape and use it as an underlayment. I capped it off with sms. I didn't want to buy anything for the tank.

I am using a hob marineland bio wheel 350.
No heater
45w pc shop light

I have 5 baby bluegill and 3 huge mystery snails.. and I mean huge... bigger than a golf ball!

I planted the small red foreground plant that I found. It has stayed small and mostly red. the new growth has been green with some red to it also. I picked up a few more plants today to finish it up. I didn't take alot of time to scape it so no laughing.
The middle piece of driftwood was picked up from the same marsh and the others I had. The rock came from the same place.

here are some pictures.

monster snails if you look close. this is the left side

left middle back

right middle back

middle. this plant has been growing great and staying low. I have no idea what it is.. but I like it! if you look in the middle you can see one of the bluegill

here is a fts.

fishys!

in the center you can see some small grass.. it was growing completely submersed. there is also a narrow leaf version of the small foreground. I will be watching to see how it ends up.

another fts

let me know what you think!

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 01:55 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
That looks cool! Hopefully the snails won't eat the plants. What are you going to do with the bg when they get bigger?

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Very cool idea. I have been watching your posts on these plants figuring I can find some as well, being that we're both hoosiers. I hope they continue to do well for you. They look awesome. When the bluegill get big enough, you could always fillet them and fry them.

Steve
Victor Pimp #34

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Aquascaper = Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwatkins10 View Post
That looks cool! Hopefully the snails won't eat the plants. What are you going to do with the bg when they get bigger?
I will take them back to the pond where they were trapped. The guy I work with has a pond and got them for me. He said just bring them back, eat em.. whatever you want. I will just release them back and get more! The snails weren't eating the plants in the smaller tank so I hope the trend continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfire99 View Post
Very cool idea. I have been watching your posts on these plants figuring I can find some as well, being that we're both hoosiers. I hope they continue to do well for you. They look awesome. When the bluegill get big enough, you could always fillet them and fry them.
I did get extra of the plants.. just start looking in marshlands and small lakes by you. I hope that they keep growing nicely.. but we will see.

I need to do a water change and try to get the water less cloudy.

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
looks awesome. i really want to see updates for this one. i am planning a natives tank fr this summer and i will be able to get out for snorkeling when the water warms a little more and the wild plants grow some more.

i'm not sure, but i think that arrowhead-leaved plant in the background might be Peltandra virginica. this plant might need to have its leaves up above the water surface. did you find it growing like that underwater?

i'm sure you are exercising good discretion, but remember that it's generally a no-no to release stuff back into the wild after keeping them in captivity. if it is just a garden pond to which you refer then i suppose it wouldn't matter too much.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
looks awesome. i really want to see updates for this one. i am planning a natives tank fr this summer and i will be able to get out for snorkeling when the water warms a little more and the wild plants grow some more.

i'm not sure, but i think that arrowhead-leaved plant in the background might be Peltandra virginica. this plant might need to have its leaves up above the water surface. did you find it growing like that underwater?

i'm sure you are exercising good discretion, but remember that it's generally a no-no to release stuff back into the wild after keeping them in captivity. if it is just a garden pond to which you refer then i suppose it wouldn't matter too much.
Is that still true if the entire tank is native and otherwise sterile when set up? Seems like it would be okay then especially if it's a small or private pond. I have access to several very small ponds and was considering a couple of crappie or largemouth bass in a fairly large tank. I wouldn't release them if/when they outgrew the tank, I really would eat them. I am planning some snorkeling/diving as well when the water warms some more. A friend has a small Honda engine powered air pump setup that allows me to dive, which I do several times a year in various small ponds and lakes, primarily studying fish behavior, but will be looking out for plants now as well.

Steve
Victor Pimp #34
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
i think that a garden pond would be ok as long as it doesn't communicate with a natural body of water. it is a pretty common practice to exchange fish between aquariums and little ponds. a lot of people who keep livebearers start colonies outside in the summer because they grow and reproduce so much better in more natural conditions.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Aquascaper = Artist

I picked up the plants from a marshland and the bluegill from a guy I work with. the pond where the fish came from was a private pond and he has no issues with me dumping them back in. he will just trap me more of the small ones.

the tank looks alot better today.. clearer and the plants have perked up.

the larger green leaved plant was growing completely submerged but I do know the leaves stay on top. the water level was up and they were under. Hopefully they will grow taller.. if not.. they will come out!

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey Ken, how are the bluegill reacting in the tank? Do they freak out and bash into the glass when you approach the tank? I kept some years ago, and it took them weeks to adapt to the tank.

Steve
Victor Pimp #34
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Aquascaper = Artist

absolutely not.. surprisingly. they stay out in the open now in a small school. I gathered some small worms from the yard (under rocks) and they chowed down! I thought that they would be more skittish but they aren't at all. I will take more pictures and get some of them up with they fish being normal.

Ken

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode