My 54 liter (14g) tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 54 liter (14g) tank

Tank size: 54 ltr (14.2 g) (24"x12"x12")
Set-up date: Oct 2006
Filter: Eheim 2008 internal sponge filter
Heater: 50w glass.
Gravel: River brown gravel, 1-2mm, 2" deep, Latrite bottom layer.
Lights: x2 - 13 watt compact flourecents (DIY canopy)
Fertilizer: none- except for fish food & waste.
Parameters: KH 6-7 dgh, pH 7.6 to 7.9

This tank I inheirited from a friend, back in Oct 2006. After searching the internet for information on how to do a water change and general care of the fish, I was hooked! My friend had put some live plants in there, but none seem to be surviving. I did some reading on the internet on plant care, and found that I would have to replace the 8w light and possibly the gravel. The 8w light was already a DIY job, but a bad one. I had 2 - 13w light fixtures lying around, some wood and black paint. Next, I set out to replace the gravel and background.

** This is how the tank looked when I started:

** Changed the gravel and built a new DIY light canopy, still unpainted. The back ground would make an interesting, DIY baground thread. It's made of paper mache, in 3D and painted. It sits on the outside of the tank:

** This is a much later picture, but it shows the painted canopy best, and some of my landscaping attempts:

** FTS 24 Mar 09, female guppies only. Fry are growing, starting to get too crowded.. trouble ahead:

Plant list: Anubias barteri, Anubias nana, Bacopa aquatica, Cryptocoryne walkeri, Cryptocoryne x willisii, Microsorum pteropus (Java fern), Nomaphila agustifolia, Taxiphyllum barbieri (Java Moss).

Cheers!

Oscar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Male Guppies, Dwarf Shrimp, Ramshorn snails. (since Mar 07)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in storage (Oct 06 - Jul 09)

QT (since Jan 09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
I like the wood in the first pic and the gravel is better. The last pic things look like they are growing real well.
Are you planning on staying El Natural or adding Excel for growth?

75g, pair of gold rams , ABN, 1 adult 2 young discus, 2oto's, 6ADF's, 3 anglefish. 96w 6700k-light 6hrs raised, No C02, Excel, EI dry macro's and micro's, Eheim 2126, 18w UV, 2 Nano 270 powerhead. wall of bubbles for more O2 for such a deep tank.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Actually, this tank has been El Natural since Mar 07, when I bought my Rio 125 (30g). I use Easy-Carbo, which is the equivalent of Excel here in Europe, but I only use it on the 30g. This tank (14g) gets none of that, not even Fertz. I must say, this tank has amazed me, after being sort of neglected it has turned into a hazel free tank. The 2-13w bulbs are about 2 years old now and it gets a 20% wc every 3 or 4 weeks and still no algae problems. Oh, and it currently houses 30 female guppies. I must mention, this tank (14g) is in a back room at my place of work. Sadly, I may have to give it up, since I'm selling the buisness and I don't have any room for it in my tiny apartment.

Oscar

QT (since Jan 09)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Maybe you can give it to some one, but that would be a shame! I love reading about a success in El Natural. I really want to try it and convert my 45g. I have to start up the 67g first for I have discus and they need clean water all the time. I am not sure if there are large fluxes in the water so I would not risk them.
Good luck selling the business.
Maybe it can go on your ice box at home :-)
Nice Tanks!

75g, pair of gold rams , ABN, 1 adult 2 young discus, 2oto's, 6ADF's, 3 anglefish. 96w 6700k-light 6hrs raised, No C02, Excel, EI dry macro's and micro's, Eheim 2126, 18w UV, 2 Nano 270 powerhead. wall of bubbles for more O2 for such a deep tank.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalview View Post
Maybe you can give it to some one, but that would be a shame!
Yeah, but it looks like that's what I'm going to have to do. Gona try to hang on to some of the equipment if I can.

Quote:
Good luck selling the business.
Thanks!

Quote:
Maybe it can go on your ice box at home :-)
Nice Tanks!
Thanks,
LOL.. if I can only get rid of one of my book cases.. hhhmmm? no no, no more outlets available, darn...!

Oscar

QT (since Jan 09)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode