20 Gallon Riparium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
20 Gallon Riparium

i am setting up another new riparium. this one is going into a 20G High (24" wide X 12" deep X 16" tall).

this is the the smallest size that i have successfully used for ripariums: it is difficult to hide the planting hardware in a smaller tank. the height of this tank is just enough to accommodate short/medium statured plants.

i am not a wild fan of blue backgrounds for aquariums, but wish to try one for this display. it might go well with the plants that i am using.

this paint should dry to a somewhat darker, more subdued color. here is the jar with color on lid.

these "paint pods" are pretty handy. they are supposed to sell like samples and they are just a few bucks each. you can get a very wide selection of colors without having to wait for mixing or buy in a larger quantity. there is about a cup of paint in there.

i don't have any single prevailing theme in mind for planting this one. in the emersed area i intend to just use a few hardy low/moderate light plants, such as the following:
  • Cryptocoryne wendtii
  • C. lutea
  • Spathiphyllum sp. "peace lily"
  • Bacopa monnieri
  • Hemigraphis sp.

in order to accommodate the humidity requirements of the crypts, the tank will be mostly covered with a glass canopy.

i am going to use just a couple-three crypts in the underwater portion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
awesome! it'll be cool to see how this one turns out. i've always wanted to try a riparium, but my hand at growing emersed plants isn't exactly the best ever...

*subscribed.*

Wilson
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!

, last updated 1/14
post #3 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 01:09 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
I am definitely interested in watching the development of one of these beauties!

-Chris

post #4 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 01:23 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
I'm also interested to see how this one turns out. Your larger tanks are beautiful, but I hadn't realized such small tanks could be used effectively as ripariums. I am in the process of emptying a 29 gallon, so maybe this in an option, after all. Looking forward to updates!
post #5 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i'm shooting more pictures. i hope to have more up later tonight.
post #6 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

this is as far as i got tonight.

here it is with sand, gravel, rocks and 5.7 inches of water. this is a smaller space, but it should work well for a simple design. i have a whole sequence of pictures leading up to this. i hope to post tomorrow.
post #7 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

ok, here is the whole sequence, beginning with the empty tank.

i used the golden ratio as a guide for determining depth of water. this consistently produces a pleasing result. to find the dividing line that would separate the underwater and above water portions i first measured between the bottom of the top plastic frame and the top of the bottom plastic frame, finding a distance of 14.4". by multiplying this number by .6, (rounded down from the golden ratio conjugate, .618033...) i determined that the above water area would be 8.64" tall. so, the water should fill the bottom 5.75" of the tank.

here is the tank with a quick and simple hardscape. i have found that it is easy to situate rounded river rocks in a nice arrangement. i also used the golden section for the hardscape, placing the largest rock approximately along this line.

the sand substrate is also an inexpensive, easy to work with material--white pool filter sand. it is important to use light-colored substrates in planted ripariums. the emersed plants can begin to throw a lot of shade as they grow and darken the underwater area. light colors reflect light and brighten the underwater area.

lastly, a layer of light-colored, rounded pebbles tops the sand. these little stones help to blend the larger rocks and sand layer and they also help to obscure fallen roots, leaves and other detritus that would otherwise be conspicuous on the white sand.

...next, live plants!
post #8 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Hemigraphis sp should be awesome. I planted these outdoors in a little water container this year and they popped the surface two weeks ago. For such a "vertical" stem, they are actually so full of character.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it here.

post #9 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

which Hemigraphis do you have? i have some 'Red Equator' and also repanda. Hemigraphis are easy plants, although they can grow leggy. it is helpful that they grow rather slowly, unlike many stem plants. repanda gets pretty nice white blossoms.
post #10 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Hemigraphis traian

post #11 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

oh you had some of that in your emersed setup. i quote your picture here i hope ou don't mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
A little update. Going to be redoing alot of these containers over the next few weeks so will post some more extensive pics later.

Ludwigia glandulosa (has a beautiful magenta color, grows so much faster emersed then submersed)
Hygrophila polysperma (notice how it creeps along the bottom, shows its true form as to why its a noxious weed)
Hemigraphis traian (I think)
that is a neat little plant. do you think that it is a pretty easy grower? i remember seeing somewhere that there was some doubt as to whether that one is an actual Hemigraphis, or something else.

the Polygonum 'Kawagoneum' that Crispino sent to me is doing really really well as an emergent and i might consider adding it too. however, it's difficult to manage more than a couple of soft stem plants in a riparium because they tend to flop over. i generally try to have the setup dominated by sturdier rosette plants.
post #12 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i got plants in there tonight and took a number of pictures as i worked. here is a scratch shot.

this will shape up as i get more midground plants in there. i'll try to enter a post with descriptions tomorrow night.
post #13 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 07:56 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
This tank is shaping up quicker than I thought that it would. Good job so far

-Chris

post #14 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

thanks. i used almost full-sized plants, so it was easy to fill it in.

i need to add a few more emersed things and also some underwater plants, then fish.
post #15 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
good job, i like it! you know what would be pretty cool in here? you should throw in some red root floaters! then you could see the blossoms and the nice roots really well.

Wilson

- As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!

, last updated 1/14

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode