Baton Rouge has the worst new-tank-starter water eva! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Baton Rouge has the worst new-tank-starter water eva!

Hello fanatics!

I just registered with PT.net today and wanted to say HELLO! (insert celebration here). My 10g tank is about a month old with the hardiest inhabitants I could find in my area. I started with cherry barbs but eventually switched to zebra danios with a few otos and cory cats in the mix. Currently i've got 9 zebras, 1 female cherry barb, some plant stow-away snails, and 2 ottos still alive >_<. I've chosen anubias nana and dwarf microsword as my first plants (tried to go with java moss but could not find it in my area). I've got a rena heater (mounted sideways, don't tell), a marineland penguin 150, penguin 550 power head on night timer, red sea CO2 bio system on day timer, and a current single power compact 40watt bulb/moon light LED on alternating 12-hour day/night timer. My PH is 8.0 down from 8.4 when i started after adding CO2, a piece of driftwood, and cycling the tank. I've got some eheim torf/peat pellets i'm debating adding depending on how the CO2 settles in (i just added it yesterday). Right now I have an algae outbreak that I am guessing is BBA, fuzz algae, or Staghorn.

I'm wondering if I can blame my beginner tank failures on my home towns water, or, am i trying to do too much too soon. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
The ship is cool but anything but natural looking, so i would loose that to begin with. and when i started off I had some troubles with micro sword you should find some easy stem plants to start with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Turn on, Tune in, Drop out" Dr. Timothy Leary

WOODSTOCK 40 Years!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Too much light for too long. 40 watts for 12 hours?

Try 7 hours to start with until you manage the algae situation.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

the ship was a cave-in to my childhood desires to have an aquarium. i'll take it out when i see the anubias doing better. I agree the lighting is too much and will be setting my timer to two 5 hour day light + CO2 periods with a 2 hour break in the middle and a 12 hour night cycle.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:28 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
Way to much light and lighting period. You didnt mention what ferts your using. You will continue to have these problems until you balance out the co2, lighting, and ferts.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:37 AM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECIAL||PLANS View Post
the ship was a cave-in to my childhood desires to have an aquarium. i'll take it out when i see the anubias doing better. I agree the lighting is too much and will be setting my timer to two 5 hour day light + CO2 periods with a 2 hour break in the middle and a 12 hour night cycle.
I would try to not make things complicated and just go with a 7 or 8 hour photoperiod. You can bump it up as you go along. Give the tank some time to settle in.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

As for ferts, I got some flourish tabs from Seachem and the liquid Flourish but have no added any of that yet. I spread three flourish tabs around the tank at equal spacing a couple days ago and will set the day/night timer to a seven hour period as recommended.

I am very concerned my CO2 is not working. I cant see any bubbles coming out the Red Sea CO2 bio system but do feel a current when placing my hand in front. Will re-evaluated in a couple days.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 02:16 AM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
I think you should see bubbles if I'm not mistaken.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)
I like the ship, I think it's cute. People take this hobby to seriously, sometimes there needs to be a tank with a sunken pirate ship in there.

Echoing all the 6-7 hour lighting period comments though.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I read something that said chlorinated water can kill the yeast. Is this the likely culprit why I don't see any CO2 production?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)
nope, I use straight tap water for my DIY CO2

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 03:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
Tap water wont make a difference. But the temperature it was will. If it was to warm more than 110+ it will kill the yeast and to cold will take things longer to get going. I would shoot for around 90 when adding the water. A little warmer than room temperature.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Okay. Sounds like i need to reset timers and be patient. I've got some nutrients on wish list at foster&smith that i'll order when i get some more money, but for now will be patient with the timer changes and re-post after a few days.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
your algae problem reflects your co2 situation. Both BBA nad staghorn florish under unstable Co2 and also when a new tank is cycling. Try tofix the CO2 problem and maintain a stable 10-20 ppm and it should be ok. And keep cleaning the algae manually for now. Or you can employ some SAE. They are known to eat both BBA and staghorn.

Reducing the photo period will harm more than help. It will deter plant metabolism more than helping much with the algae. IMO it can be safely kept at regular 10 hrs (unless you have green water issue as well).

good luck!

Patience is the name of the game.

|
|
|
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 04:14 PM
Algae Grower

In addition to what everyone has already said. I would re home the danios, they really need more swimming room than a 10g.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode