36 Gallon Bow Front - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
36 Gallon Bow Front

Going to try my best to keep up with this journal on my new to me 36 Gallon bow front.

I acquired this tank and decided I would dirt it and go for low light / low tech (no c02 / no dosing for now). I picked up a nice bag of miracle grow organic potting soil from Lowes. I sifted the dirt into 5 gallon bucket using a kitchen strainer.

I also picked up some national geographic black sand from Petsmart to use for a cap. I have about 1 1/2 inches of dirt and another 1 1/2 inches of black sand cap.

I planted my vals, s. repens, and wendtii green in the tank.

The tank came with a Marineland Penguin 200 so I went ahead and ordered an AquaClear 70 and picked up a Sat+ from Amazon. Once the AC came in I started dosing Stability that I picked up from petsmart.

I did run into an issue and had an outbreak of algae and some white fungus on the cap. I decided to cut the lights off on the tank until the algae and fungus was gone. I had been poking the substrate daily and noticed plenty of bubbles releasing.

I picked up some limo window tint from Advance Auto and cut it to fit the back of the tank. Best decision I ever made. I can see the inside of the tank from the backside but the window light no longer bleeds into the tank. I can't see through it looking through the front.

After about a week of poking the substrate and testing the water parameters daily once I had 0 nitrites and 0 ammonia I placed 9 tetras and a couple guppies into the tank. Since adding them I've transferred my albino bristle nose pleco, her driftwood, and 7 peppered cory catfish into the tank. I also picked up a Windelov Java fern for the piece of driftwood.

The tank no longer is releasing ammonia bubbles but I did notice a spike in ammonia. I noticed my ammonia was going up into the 0.25 / 0.5 range. So I've been doing water changes about every other day. The substrate was also leeching into the water making it have a yellowish tint. This has since stopped.

I stopped dosing Stability after following the week long instructions but yesterday I noticed my nitrates were 5PPM, I tested twice because I was surprised by it and each time the tests came back purple, yikes! My ammonia was still around 0.50 PPM. I did a water change and will test today to see what my levels are at.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
55 Gallon Freshwater Aquarium
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

36 Gallon Bow Front / Dirted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Picture of some Cory's

Shot of the tank with Wisteria + limo tint background.

55 Gallon Freshwater Aquarium

36 Gallon Bow Front / Dirted

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode