Sunfires 42 Hex - second planted tank - Updated 8/16 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Sunfires 42 Hex - second planted tank - Updated 8/16

Since I have been making some slow progress on this I thought I'd go ahead and begin a journal. An old Oceanic 42 gallon hex that's been sitting empty for a couple of years. 2 x 24W 6500K PC lighting in a DIY hood, XP3 canister filter, Griggs style DIY CO2 reactor,Victor 2 stage regulator, Fabco inline needle valve, Hydor 200 Watt inline heater and Aqua 15W UV. Substrate is SMS charcoal base with 1-1.5" of fluorite cap. Rock is petrified wood. I'm thinking this might be a Rainbow tank and maybe add some shrimp if they are compatible. Anyone that keeps the 2 as tankmates with success please chime in. I'll dose macro/micro solutions made from dry ferts.

Here's the tank:

Hardscape front view. The large piece of petrified wood creates a cool terrace and was the reason I went this way on the hardscape. It's more than a foot long 4" thick, 2-6" front to back and shaped a bit like a boomerang.

Right side:

Left side:

The substrate in the front is only about 1" deep and will not be planted. The back terrace is about 5" deep. Plant list will hopefully include Bacopa Caroliniana, Rotala Vietnam, Sunset Hygro, Hygro Compact, Dwarf Hairgrass if I have enough light, some Blyxa, Subwassertang, and Downoi again if I have enough light. I'm reading mixed messages on the hairgrass and Downoi so anyone with experience again please chime in.

Here's a diagram of the plant location plans. I'm hoping to create some height on the left side and left rear corner tapering down to the right. I'd appreciate any feedback on the plant selection with the lowlight the tank has and also it's location realtive to the other plants and my plan for the look. I also plan to glue some Anubias to the wood, especially along the right side of the large piece where it stairsteps up.

Steve
Victor Pimp #34

Last edited by sunfire99; 08-16-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Looks like you have a great start there. I have red cherry shrimp in the 55 with the smaller rainbows. There are plenty of hiding places for them, and so far it looks like they are getting along fine.

Tim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can't wait to see it! Going for a more dutch-style with this tank? I had one question with the depth of this tank, are you sure you have enough light over it?

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trallen44 View Post
Looks like you have a great start there. I have red cherry shrimp in the 55 with the smaller rainbows. There are plenty of hiding places for them, and so far it looks like they are getting along fine.
Thanks Tim. I thought maybe you were keeping both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rion View Post
Can't wait to see it! Going for a more dutch-style with this tank? I had one question with the depth of this tank, are you sure you have enough light over it?
Thanks for the comments. I'm excited about this tank but I'm not really sure what the style would be called. As for the lighting, no I'm not sure it's enough but others have success on even less light. I think the better question is what plants can I keep with this light. Of the ones I have planned, I'm pretty sure about all except the Hairgrass and Downoi.

Steve
Victor Pimp #34
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Hairgrass became a PITA for me. Best of luck with it and glad to see your finding a way to deal with your MTD.

Multiple Tank Disease

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
It's a disease now? I though it was just a disorder... Anyways the lights may surprise us and with the right amount of CO2 it could be fine. Good luck, I hope all grows well.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
Hairgrass became a PITA for me. Best of luck with it and glad to see your finding a way to deal with your MTD.

Multiple Tank Disease
lol MTD definitely has a new hold on me. I am concerned about the hairgrass from a maintenance perspective also. I just can't think of the right type of low growing low light plant for that area. I guess I could spread it all out and eliminate the hairgrass patch. I have no experience with Subwassertang either but it seems to fit my need for lighting, etc.

Steve
Victor Pimp #34
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
this looks like a good plan. that tank has lots of space for the plants to grow up into for all to admire.

oh my gosh! it's a disease!? i worried when my doctor told me i had multiple tank syndrome. can i get a prescription to treat MTD?
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
oh my gosh! it's a disease!? i worried when my doctor told me i had multiple tank syndrome. can i get a prescription to treat MTD?
It is called more tanks and more fish up to the point when the wife is just about ready to kill you, then you need just one less tank and you are good to go! LMAO

Tim

post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rion View Post
It's a disease now? I though it was just a disorder... Anyways the lights may surprise us and with the right amount of CO2 it could be fine. Good luck, I hope all grows well.
Quote:
this looks like a good plan. that tank has lots of space for the plants to grow up into for all to admire.

I think the only treatment is more tanks. I know Hydrophyte already has the "cure" with those retro tanks, which I now want one of.

Steve
Victor Pimp #34
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
but there is no patch or gum for this addiction it just keeps getting worse.

"Turn on, Tune in, Drop out" Dr. Timothy Leary

WOODSTOCK 40 Years!
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
Quote:

there is no cure. More tanks just keeps the symptoms in check but never cures it...does it

Patience is the name of the game.

|
|
|
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I figured I would see some water by now!

Tim

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trallen44 View Post
I figured I would see some water by now!
Nope. Still waiting on some equipment. I bought a brand new XP3 on Ebay for $96 and the Aqua UV classic used for $16 also on Ebay. Still waiting on those items and I then can at least finish the plumbing and fill the tank. I also need to get another CO2 tank purchased, but will use the spare tank from the other system for now.

Steve
Victor Pimp #34
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:11 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I keep Australian rainbow's with ghost shrimp, and one of the rainbow's engulfed the shrimp whole! On the other hand I have seen them live side-by-side.

What kind of rainbow's do you want?

BTW, nice tank!

30g planted tank

Eheim pimp #360! The circle pimp! Eheim classic 2215

Bloodworms, it's whats for dinner.

My rams:

1 balloon belly gold ram.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode