First planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
First planted tank

I've been lurking since March-ish?

I started a 10 gallon planted tank, with 5 red cherry shrimp, a piece of mopani with java fern growing on it, some java moss, dwarf hairgrass, a marimo moss ball and some bladder snails that snuck in with my plants.

It's since been upgraded to a 20 gallon when I managed to fix a pesky sealing problem with it. (Resealing the whole thing, letting it cure, cycling) I use a play-sand substrate and keep the temp around 74ish (Lowering it just a bit for my moss, I had it sitting on the higher side of 70 for a while and it went yellowish and I read on here it's because the water was too warm) I dose with 1ml fertilizer / 1ml CO2 twice a week with flourish/flourish excel on Tuesday/Saturday (The java fern was going getting black spots and melting, since dosing its turned a darker green and the black is receding on the leafs that were less covered) and I do 20% water changes every Tuesday. Since the I started the tank the original population of 5 (3 female, 2 male) has been bumped up by at least 20ish after 2 of them carried their eggs full term! (Hard to count them all still, they've barely got any color yet)

Anyways, I just figured since today was a water change day, and I was adding some new things to the tank, I'd start one of these journals.

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/F5hvY

(The new residents are the crab and the assassin snail ^^ )

Last edited by CanadianNerd; 06-10-2015 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 05:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

Welcome to the forum. Hope we can answer your questions and you will find plenty information here. You seem to have a good setup-up for learning and seeing what goes. Aquarium plants have somewhat of a steep learning curver. Lucky for you, there are some sure ways to grow a certain plant, so you do not have to know every detail of what happens (yet).

What is your fertilizer ? And what light are you using ? Seems pink.

You can embed photos to your post so they are easier to see. Like this
[IMG]***http://i.imgur.com/7wpF8PS.jpg***[/IMG]
Remove the *** and you have :

PS Almost missed the crab
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

I'm using SeaChem Flourish and I'm not entirely sure about the bulb. I was actually looking into replacing it (It came with the 10 gallon but I've since lost the packaging) but from what I can tell the fixture is 16", I'm not too sure what I should be looking at in terms of a replacement though.

Thanks for the tip! And, I'm thinking if it does well in the tank I might buy a few more. apparently they like little groups? I love the idea of having shrimp, crabs, and snails maintaining an aquatic garden. ^^

Also: I forgot to mention, in this picture:

that thing in the back is a piece of glass from a picture frame with moss on it, and a layer of netting glued over it. I tried to think of something that wouldn't look silly against glass and didn't have to be permanent, so why not just use more glass?! :P

Last edited by CanadianNerd; 06-12-2015 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Just cleaned the tank again, parameters are normal, trimmed the dhg and it started sending out runners like nuts the last few days. Re-did the moss wall and moved it over and made a nice little landing for some moss growth when it starts.

Pics:

Of the two females who have had eggs hatch already, one has 'saddled' up

and the other is berried! (Sorry for the potato quality)

Pictures of the fry (they're little)

(Recolored green)

I'm thinking of picking up a few more of those micro crabs, they're pretty cool to watch (when it isn't being shy and hiding)

Last edited by CanadianNerd; 06-16-2015 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Spelling

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode