Rocky Mountain Inspired Iwagumi (lots of pics) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rocky Mountain Inspired Iwagumi (lots of pics)

Well, this may be the most delayed journal ever but I'm finally getting around to posting my first experience with a high tech "iwagumi" style tank. Ive always admired those simple scapes with a nice lush carpet and rocks all coming together to look like mountains jutting out of a green meadow. So me and my brother decided to set one up in the living room and model it after the jagged and dramatic rocky mountains that we love so much. And as it turns out i had all the hardware to set up a nice high tech 20l just sitting around collecting dust

I decided this would be the perfect time to try a dry start as well, there seems to be a lot more interest growing plants or at least starting tanks like this these days.

Anyways enough rambling now for the good stuff...

20L
Aquasoil Amazonia
Finnex Fugeray 24" and a Current Satellite + 24" (best of both worlds lol)
5lb CO2 w/ GLA's Supreme reg via cerges reactor
Eheim 2215
Hydor Inline heater
Bluelab Trimeter
Full EI with extra K, Fe and Excel dosing
HC Cuba

So lucky for me all i had to buy for this tank was the HC and the Aquasoil the rest has been recycled from other ventures.

I started with 7 little cups of Tropica's tissue cultured HC Cuba and i was very impressed with the quality of the plants. I have never went tissue cultured before and I'll never go back haha.

Heres pretty much the first planting, maybe a couple days after.

And a couple days later, starting to recover and grow.

Growing well but its hard to keep the tank warm enough so its a lot slower than what i had expected.

Flooded.

Once the HC acclimated to being under water it has exploded, temps were definitely stunting growth.

Tweaking CO2, growth is probably 4x what i was previous to flooding.

About 1 months time flooded now, compared to about 2 months dry start. Time for the first trim

Now from my experience the dry start was great for getting the plants to root but if you cant keep the temps around 80+ then you'll get faster growth once you flood and crank the CO2. Keep in mind this only applies to HC, many other plants seem to enjoy the lower temps.

So now I've done a big mow down and removed a smaller rock from the scape and heres how it sits now, pretty pleased with the turn out.

Anyways there's my first carpet attempt, what do ya think??

I need some fish suggestions too, something hardy...lots of CO2

Last edited by shambhalove.; 06-10-2015 at 04:13 PM. Reason: pic warning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 04:30 PM
Planted Member

Loooks good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 04:35 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I like it, nice job!!!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 04:37 PM
dru
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Great pearling shots
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 04:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
first carpet attempt? wow, great job! as for fish suggestion, rummynose tetra always my favorite schooling fish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shambhalove. View Post

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks all!!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks great! I definitely concur with Rummy-Nose Tetra idea. You could always do a bunch of exotic looking shrimp!

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would go with a couple of schools of micro fish, although many prefer some shaded area so may not work in such a well lit open tank. Would have to research a few.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ya I was leaning towards something a bit smaller but your right there's not really anywhere to hide out and the current is pretty strong. I don't really wanna mix tap and ro but I may have to if I add fish since my tap comes out at 8-8.2 and the aquasoil brings it down in the tank to around 6.5.

Here's under the hood for those techy folks
Attached Images

Last edited by shambhalove.; 06-10-2015 at 03:44 PM. Reason: resize
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'd go with the smallest fish you can find, green neons come to mind. I'd also add a couple otos and a colony of shrimp (RCS are cheap) and let them breed like crazy. I'd probably just leave it as a shrimp tank to be perfectly honest. They are a ton of fun to watch.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'd love to keep it just cherries but they arent going to do well with all the CO2 and ferts. I dropped about 20 or so ramshorns in about a week ago and I can already see pitting in their shells, a few have died already so we'll see how they adapt.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 04:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's a tight carpet. I would do some CPD's.
Also check out https://www.facebook.com/skashrimps for some planted tank goodies. He's an ADA carrier down in Calgary.

||
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 05:08 AM
Planted Member

Looks good!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 01:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think CPD's would look great but due to the lack of cover and intense light, I could only imagine their anxiety level they'd have. They're already shy in a heavily planted tank as it is.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode