Adventures in aquascaping a 25h (56K) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Adventures in aquascaping a 25h (56K)

I just got pressurized co2 set up which was the final piece to my aquarium puzzle and just bought a new camera (nikon d60 for those interested) so I thought I was do a quick rescape and start a little journal on here.

Once upon a time it looked like this. That poor fish looks so lonely

Here's how we started off today. Nothing much going on here. The stargrass is out of control on the right side, but the plants are alive. Always good.

My surgery station (as I call it) all set up and ready to do some work

Ohhhh... shiny new co2! Notice the fancy mechanism I'm using to secure it to the stand.

Most everything yanked out and I added a fancy new rock. I didn't want to risk moving the crypt so it stays front and center. I'll have to move it sometime though. It's growing fastlike.

Mostly planted. The front right section bordered by rocks is going to be a grassy area if I can get those plants to grow. Hell, I don't even remeber what type of carpet plant I have... sigh.

I love my frogbit

Obligatory FTS

So there you have it. Good progress for a couple hours work. I'm no great aquascaper, but I have fun doing it. Now I just have to wait for the plants to grow a bit and cover up some of that nasty equipment.

More to come...

Last edited by zspoelstra; 06-04-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 01:14 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
How did I miss this journal?!? You are so creative! I am looking forward to updates on this one.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just a quick update. My plants are all looking better now that I've tweaked my fertilizer amounts, except the rotala rotundifolia which just looks horrible at the moment. The algae has also come on a bit and I'm not yet sure if it's circulation, co2, or nutrient related. I've been tweaking a lot of different things lately and should probably let it settle for a bit and start changing small things one at a time.

And now... onto the pictures!

--------------

The ludwigia repens is looking a lot healthier since I changed the fertilizer amounts. The algae in the background is also looking good

My bacopa caroliniana looks pretty bad, but within the last few days the new growth has a whole new look to it. Maybe that's a sign I'm doing something right

The Elite Mini diffusion method is apparently a good place to grow algae. Who knew?

And of course... the FTS

That's it for now.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 07:44 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
just wondering, have you done the airstone mod on the mini? it makes a huge difference. also I would lose the sponge on the mini and put it lower in the tank. the closer to the bottom the better.

I know enough to know that I don't know anything
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Planted Member

if you want to keep using your elite to diffuse, I strongly suggest you remove the sponge and just adjust the flow rate according to the flow you desire. That is how I do it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartak View Post
just wondering, have you done the airstone mod on the mini? it makes a huge difference. also I would lose the sponge on the mini and put it lower in the tank. the closer to the bottom the better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishar View Post
if you want to keep using your elite to diffuse, I strongly suggest you remove the sponge and just adjust the flow rate according to the flow you desire. That is how I do it.
I have done the airstone mod and it does make quite a difference. Does the sponge not really matter? I was under the impression it was helping in some way. Although, it does appear to only be helping grow algae at this point

Thanks for the info!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
what do you have for lights?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Turn on, Tune in, Drop out" Dr. Timothy Leary

WOODSTOCK 40 Years!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtkid View Post
what do you have for lights?
I guess I should have given some stats about the tank in the first post. Well, no time like the present so here goes...

Equipment
25g tall SeaClear acrylic tank
65w Coralife Aqualight
Rena Filstar XP2 canister filter
10lb co2 w/ Primo regulator from GLA (fantastic btw)
Hagen Elite Mini for co2 diffusion
30lbs Eco-complete substrate

Flora
heteranthera zosterifolia
limnobium laevigatum
rotala rotundifolia
marsilea minuta
ludwigia repens
bacopa caroliniana
cryptocoryne wendtii (red)
echinodorus amazonicus (narrow leaf)

Fauna
1 Dwarf Neon Rainbow Fish
4 Otos
8 Neon Tetras
Some random snails that hitchhiked in

Not sure if I left anything out of there, but that's basically what I've got.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode