New tank - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
strangewaters's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: torranca,ca
Posts: 547
New tank

Getting the new tank set up.not sure of the exact but around 50-60 gallon tank. Plan on doing co2. Led lighting. Painted the back, looks so much better that way. And in the future a canister filter maybe lily pipes. Waiting on osmocote pills and plants to come in. Getting a few Luwigia brevipes, Ludwigia red, Rotala Colorata, Rotala Vietnam, Rotala Magenta, Rotala Green, Rotala H ra aka Gia Lai, Rotala Rotundifolia and Bacopas from another member here. Looking for a nice foreground low light plant. Open to suggestions. I say low light because i didnt pay much for this led. Got it off evilbay. Well get back at me with some tips maybe grooming tips for my plants.





Hope this post comes out right

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
strangewaters is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
strangewaters's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: torranca,ca
Posts: 547
Powerhead helping filter up the flake food i put in to help the cycling

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
strangewaters is offline  
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
strangewaters's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: torranca,ca
Posts: 547
And its diy co2 with yeast for now till i get me some citric acid

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
strangewaters is offline  
 
post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
strangewaters's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: torranca,ca
Posts: 547
Oh and if anyone would feel the need to give a RAOK ill gladly appreciate it

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
strangewaters is offline  
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
strangewaters's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: torranca,ca
Posts: 547


Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
strangewaters is offline  
post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 620
I've seen crypt parva carpets that look cool.I'm not certain how much your powerhead/water bottle/rag thing will work. It seems like it would help take up some dust in the tank, but if you leave it in there, it will become a bio-filter. There may be a mini-cycle that takes place when you pull it out.
loach guy is offline  
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
strangewaters's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: torranca,ca
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by loach guy View Post
I've seen crypt parva carpets that look cool.I'm not certain how much your powerhead/water bottle/rag thing will work. It seems like it would help take up some dust in the tank, but if you leave it in there, it will become a bio-filter. There may be a mini-cycle that takes place when you pull it out.
yeah i think i was in the middle of a cycle when i emptied the tank out to start over. so same Hob filter and i squeezed out another older filter i had running before to help it along on this new cycle. the powerhead i was basically playing with last night trying different set ups. put a water bottle on the intake part and cut the bottom of the bottle off and had it sit barely below the water to use as a skimmer to get the oils out. hoping my plants come in tomorrow
strangewaters is offline  
post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangewaters View Post
yeah i think i was in the middle of a cycle when i emptied the tank out to start over. so same Hob filter and i squeezed out another older filter i had running before to help it along on this new cycle. the powerhead i was basically playing with last night trying different set ups. put a water bottle on the intake part and cut the bottom of the bottle off and had it sit barely below the water to use as a skimmer to get the oils out. hoping my plants come in tomorrow
That's a good idea for a tank that's starting out.
loach guy is offline  
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
strangewaters's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: torranca,ca
Posts: 547
So no plants today. I think tomorrow for sure. I already placed dividers in my substrate so I can keep which ever foreground plant I get from spreading where I don't want it to. Got my anubias sitting in my 20 gallon tank for now and some old stems that are half way still alive sitting in a container with the water the plants were first in. Will post pics
strangewaters is offline  
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
strangewaters's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: torranca,ca
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangewaters View Post
So no plants today. I think tomorrow for sure. I already placed dividers in my substrate so I can keep which ever foreground plant I get from spreading where I don't want it to. Got my anubias sitting in my 20 gallon tank for now and some old stems that are half way still alive sitting in a container with the water the plants were first in. Will post pics
Right side


Left side


Arranged to look like a tunnel


Another shot/see my little friend there?


Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
strangewaters is offline  
post #11 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
strangewaters's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: torranca,ca
Posts: 547
My anubias


This was the tank i set up to hold all the fish while i redid the other tank









Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
strangewaters is offline  
post #12 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 09:49 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 62
Clearing your water.

Putting a piece of this 50 micron material in your filter will clear even the super-fine dust from Fluorite Substrate out of the water.

http://www.bigalspets.com/pure-flo-5...d-18-x-30.html

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...53&pcatid=4353

---Mark13
Mark13 is offline  
post #13 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 09:58 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
goodbytes's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Fort Myers, Florida
Posts: 1,106
You're going to want to move that filter intake up a couple of inches as at the slightest disturbance it will pull sand up into the impeller which is bad news. I'm not sure how those Emperor filters are set up but if you can remove a section, saw off a length of it, or slide it further up that would be advisable.
goodbytes is offline  
post #14 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
strangewaters's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: torranca,ca
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbytes View Post
You're going to want to move that filter intake up a couple of inches as at the slightest disturbance it will pull sand up into the impeller which is bad news. I'm not sure how those Emperor filters are set up but if you can remove a section, saw off a length of it, or slide it further up that would be advisable.
Yeah it has an extention piece i can remove. As of now the black diamond substrate stays put and i rinsed it off so its pretty good. I did have a little dip under the intake so it wouldnt suck the substrate up but i did slide the filter over

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
strangewaters is offline  
post #15 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
strangewaters's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: torranca,ca
Posts: 547
Plants came in. There waiting for me at home. And i think my diy co2 set up i got off ebay showed up and the replacement powerhead they sent me. Came broken. Just wish my planting tongs or tweezers came also. Oh well

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
strangewaters is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome