75 gallon...de-rimmed and re scaped:) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
75 gallon...de-rimmed and re scaped:)

well this weekend sure was a long one...i started with an old 75 gal that was in terrible shape, i stripped it down, re siliconed it, plugged the bulkheads and set it up with two canisters. one rena xp3, and one rena xp2 running trough the co2 reactor i built the stand and left it open on the bottom with rgb leds to illuminate the equipmenti had a t5 fixture that id built with parts from old ones but the whole scape and lighting situation was mediocre at best...so this weekend i tore everything down, de rimmed the aquarium, did some more trim on the stand, got a set of kessil a150s, and set it back up how i wished i wouldve done it the first time (with a 3/4" tube sneaking up the back corner as an overflow so i can have it on a constant drip water change. the equipment is:
1x rena xp3
1x rena xp2
1x aquamedic co2 reactor
1x aquaeon heater
2x kessil a150 amazon sun
1x ro unit with only the carbon blocks hooked up to do the water change

the flora are:
needle leaf java fern
java fern
java fern windelov
java moss
flame moss
anubias barteri
anubias nana
anubias nana petite
hygro compacta
hygro polysperma sunset
hygro pinnatifida
bobitis heudelotii
bolbitis heteroclita
ammania gracillis
crypt balansae
whatever the brown crypt is
crinum thaianum

tha fauna are:
20x cardinal tetra
6x phantom tetra
1x american flagfish
2x hillstream loaches
1x lonely cherry barb
1x dwarf synodontis cat
6x otocinclus
9x amano shrimp
1x cherry shrimp

it was just filled last night and here it is today, along with some water test and stand pics...
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1433809401770.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	483089

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1433809439401.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	483097

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1433809466277.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	483105

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1433809494595.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	483113

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1433809521367.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	483121
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 12:32 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
You are a brave soul. How much can you see the glass flexing?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

only a couple mm. should be within tolerance for any rimless, i hope i looked at builders charts and the majority of rimless tanks that dimension are being built with 8-9 mm glass...mine is about 9.5 so as long as my silicone skills are up to par it should be fine

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
Eek! Id be worried, the bottom trim on my 75 cracked in half over the winter. I only found one place that will sell replacement trim. I'd love to have mine rimless but yeah, not trying to risk 75gallons on my floor, even if it is my basement.. From what i read the rimless 75's were using 3/4" glass, around 19-20mm thick. Mine is about what yours is, around 9mm.. I hope it stays together for you.

Will be awhile until I can set mine back up so I'll follow yours in the meantime ^^ The hardscape looks awesome!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

SunSun Pimp # 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngel View Post
Eek! Id be worried, the bottom trim on my 75 cracked in half over the winter. I only found one place that will sell replacement trim. I'd love to have mine rimless but yeah, not trying to risk 75gallons on my floor, even if it is my basement.. From what i read the rimless 75's were using 3/4" glass, around 19-20mm thick. Mine is about what yours is, around 9mm.. I hope it stays together for you.

Will be awhile until I can set mine back up so I'll follow yours in the meantime ^^ The hardscape looks awesome!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
thanks! i did leave the bottom on though, thats why i put the extra trim around the top of the stand, so it wouldnt show
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

old 75g tanks i would be willing to risk as they have 3/8-1/2" glass where new tanks are piss pore with thin glass, i just derimmed a 33long and it has 3/8" glass and let me tell you it has no flex compared to my new 40B which flexes 1/4in from side to middle of the tank, so after deciding to go with these two tanks I ROAKed it to a kid for his bearded dragon with my old stand and helped him build a canopy for his uv lights

Bump: what it was [IMG][/IMG]
to what it became [IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
had it sit outside for a week to check my seams since it was a reptile tank, with a screen lid , funny thing was my cows thought it was there new water holding tank. found them drinking out of it daily

, 33g retired
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 11:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
That is some killer driftwood and the tank looks great. As long as the tank holds up, it is turning out great! Plans to add doors to the stand? Maybe paint the light rack thing? Just an opinion here, but I would have gone with gooseneck metal stands for the kessels over the larger wooden hanger. I think it would make the top more appealing.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
That is some killer driftwood and the tank looks great. As long as the tank holds up, it is turning out great! Plans to add doors to the stand? Maybe paint the light rack thing? Just an opinion here, but I would have gone with gooseneck metal stands for the kessels over the larger wooden hanger. I think it would make the top more appealing.
the plan is to finish out the light rack like i did the stand, will all the seams and holes filled and paint it black...i like a bar there because im also a huge fan of moonlights and doors might be in the future, i love seeing the cabinets with those leds under there so if i build any they will probabaly be glass
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Very different taste than me, but I can respect that! Glass doors are tricky. I'd almost suggest plexy glass. You can easily silicone hardware to the glass, but drilling small holes in glass (near the edges to boot) for hardware can be tricky. Just a heads up! I did plexy glass doors on my entertainment system and they look top notch.

Just to show you what I mean:

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 04:14 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
You are a brave soul. How much can you see the glass flexing?
Haha I said this before I started reading the thread! It was weird saying it out loud and then reading it as someones comment.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

here is the 33long with my plants from my 40B while the 75g I am building is cycling

, 33g retired

Last edited by rebelbuck1993; 06-09-2015 at 04:56 PM. Reason: .
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

id like to take a poll on what to stock as far as bigger fish go...i want to do something a little bigger since i have a little more room with this scape than i did before, ive never been a fan of rainbows or congo tetras in the past but im thinking either one might look good in this tank...with my current stock how many can i get away with to keep the bio load low and give my fish plenty of room, but still have enough of the new fish for them to get along and be healthy...does anyone have alot of experience with either and which one would make the cardinals school more often?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ive also added some leds to the back rim to backlight the tank...it makes for a pretty cool sunset

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1434300327630.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	485441
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 08:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezachammer View Post
id like to take a poll on what to stock as far as bigger fish go...i want to do something a little bigger since i have a little more room with this scape than i did before, ive never been a fan of rainbows or congo tetras in the past but im thinking either one might look good in this tank...with my current stock how many can i get away with to keep the bio load low and give my fish plenty of room, but still have enough of the new fish for them to get along and be healthy...does anyone have alot of experience with either and which one would make the cardinals school more often?
I've got 7 Congo Tetras in my 75 gallon South American tank. It took them a while to get comfortable, but now they are awesome. Occasionally they will scare the Bloodfins into a tight group and then take turns charging in. It's really fun to watch and keeps the Bloodfins in a pretty nice school most of the time. They show no aggression to one another, but they do play tag in the morning for an hour or so. I've also had Rainbows. I much prefer the looks and personality of the Congo's

That tank really tied the room together
Fraternity of Dirt
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech
Member #13

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
I've got 7 Congo Tetras in my 75 gallon South American tank. It took them a while to get comfortable, but now they are awesome. Occasionally they will scare the Bloodfins into a tight group and then take turns charging in. It's really fun to watch and keeps the Bloodfins in a pretty nice school most of the time. They show no aggression to one another, but they do play tag in the morning for an hour or so. I've also had Rainbows. I much prefer the looks and personality of the Congo's
good call on the congos...i ended up buying some last night before i even read this. this is their first day in the tank and theyre already out being active and eating like crazy, i started with three because im always nervous about stocking too fast, but ill probably get another three in the next few days

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode