Voozle's 55G Journal | Update 7.9.09 (56K Warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Voozle's 55G Journal | Update 7.9.09 (56K Warning)

Howdy, this thread will be a journal of my progress with my first venture into the world of "high tech" planted tanks. This aquarium is the culmination of everything I've learned about planted tanks - mostly right here on TPT - over the course of the past few months. Equipment gathering began in late '08, and setup and hardscape design began in early April.

Equipment
55 gallon aquarium
Rena XP2 canister filter
Satellite 260W lighting fixture
Flourite Dark substrate
Generic Play Sand
Koralia 2 powerhead
SuMo CO2 system

Lighting and Fertilization
110W for 8 hours; AGA 8000K bulbs.
Additional 130W for 4 hours; SunPaq Dual-Daylight bulbs.
Fertilization with the EI dosing method.

Intended Fauna
red cherry shrimp, Neocaridina heteropoda
Otocinclus sp.
12-20 green neon tetra, Paracheirodon simulans
2 kribensis, Pelvicachromis pulcher
6 odessa barb, Puntius ticto
6 dwarf chain loach, Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki

Current Flora
Anubius barteri
Bolbitis heudelotii
Didiplis diandra
Elatine triandra
Limnophila aromatica
Ludwigia brevipes
Ludwigia repens var. arcuata
Microsorum pteropus var. Phillipine
Pogostemon erectum
Pogostemon helferi
Rotala colorata

The small floating container houses a few rainbow shrimp from my established 29 gallon tank; they're "testing the water" before I add any fish/RCS. The odessas, kribensis, and otos will be moving up from my established 29 gallon tank. I'm looking to add Fissidens fonatas, stargrass, and more downoi, and I would love suggestions for other plants, particularly stems or plants that can be maintained at medium (6-10") height. Any advice or suggestions on my intended stocking for the tank would also be appreciated.

I purchased the driftwood from Badcopnofishtank, and all the plants from several members of TPT via the Swap and Shop forum.

Last edited by Voozle; 07-17-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)
Great start Voozle! I love your hardscape! Looks really awesome. I can't wait to see what this evolves into.

*Kristin*
Planted tanks:40g breeder, 20g long, 29g
38g Reef tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 12:29 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
Very nice, looking forward to updates! If you want some plants let me know in the chat.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
nice! we will look forward to updates for this one.

it might be a good idea to get some more plants in there soon so that it can start to take shape more quickly--although it already looks great and you have a fine hardscape--and to get the upper hand on algae. you can acquire very high quality plants in generous quantities in the TPT Swap & Shop forum.

hey have a look at this tank:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...-125ltr-3.html
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey, thanks so much to the three of you for all the encouragement! I've seen your tanks, and the kind words mean a lot coming from such experienced aquascapists.

Hydrophyte, I'm working on gathering plants at the moment, and all of them that haven't been transplanted from my own tanks have been ordered on the TPT Swap and Shop; several were purchased from JustOneMore. I added some blyxa japonica today, but I'm lacking ideas for mid-ground plants. The tank you linked to is really well done, I like the effect of covering the middle ground with many medium-sized anubius.

I'm currently looking for specific plant suggestions, mainly bright reds and those of medium height. Any information or ideas you could contribute would be much appreciated, and in the mean time I'll keep my eye on these boards. Thanks again.

Last edited by Voozle; 07-07-2009 at 11:40 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 05:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
THUMBS UP VOOZLE! looks great.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Very nice. No DW on the left?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
I love it. I like that it is not the same on both sides. Can't wait to see it fill in.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks very much, I'll be posting an update sometime this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
Very nice. No DW on the left?
The original intention was for the left side to consist of bold, jutting rocks, but the zebra rock didn't break into pieces that looked particularly dramatic. I think I still prefer it without - it looks less uniform - but regardless the driftwood makes the right side very difficult to plant and trim; I wouldn't want that difficult to apply for the entire tank.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Picture Update 7.9.09

Intended to post this a week ago, when the pictures were taken, but I've been busy. The tank is coming along, growth is a little slower than I would like, but dosing has been irregular. This is now resolved, and hopefully the growth rate will pick up. Several stems have been added, and the Elatine triandra has been removed due to it being a complete nuisance.

Since May I have fully stocked the tank, first adding red cherry shrimp and then moving over the inhabitants of my 29 gallon tank. Five otos, six odessa barbs, two khuli loaches, and a kribensis pair; all settled in quickly and seem much happier since the upgrade; the loaches in particular are much more active. I've also purchased about two dozen green neon tetras and four dwarf chain loaches. The tetras were purchased in two orders, and I may be removing several as I'm unhappy with their numbers since adding the second group.

Unfortunately, the Pelvicachromis pulcher made short work of the RCS. On the bright side, the pair have mated successfully and the tank is home to approximately 40 kribensis fry. Both parents took extremely good care of them during the first two weeks, at which point the pair began to fight (during the weekly WC). The father has not been allowed near the babies since, but the mother is rearing them alone just as aptly. I've noticed no loss in numbers, and the barbs have more or less ignored them. A few of the fry are visible in the photo of their mother.

I would like to add a couple more dwarf chain loaches, and find a good home for about half of the tetras. My short term goals with the scape are to replace the large anubius with needle leaf java fern, and find a new carpet/foreground plant - I'm considering glosso. Thanks very much for taking the time to look; any comments or advice are, as always, much appreciated.

Voozle

Last edited by Voozle; 02-25-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Photos removed
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
Great Job!

Looks like you have some very happy fish!

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/94%)
Very nice man, what were the dimensions on the tank? Sharp looking fish too! I may have some HM(see my journal) that I may get rid of..... :P

GLA Fanboy*

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 12:52 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
i like it! great work w/ the wood.

What would Honey Badger do?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 06:42 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thumbs up

Just came across your tank. it's amazing man.... love it!! My intentions were somewhat similar, but never imagined anything that resembles yours... lol. quick question, I'm tryn to find branchy lookin driftwood like da one's you've got. where did you get them, or if you made them, how?! what type of tree branch??? and it's been bout 4 months since your last update.... I'm sure everyone will love to see some newer pics. thnx

Planted in progress w/ Angels, Gouramis, & Neons "
" update: German Blue Ram!! & Yo Yo Loach
20 Gallon full of Guppies, and Tiger Barbs (Relocated to save my Neons)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode