10 gal yellow shrimp tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (53/100%)
10 gal yellow shrimp tank

Ok, this is the first time that I am doing a journal. I am using my old 10 gal tank and am giving it a face lift. The tank had ucky multi-shades blue gravel. I have completely tossed them and replaced with AS II substrait. This is the first time that I am using this substrait . I liked that fact that there was no need to rinse and dry before use. However, planting in this was something else. It was like planting in a
whole bunch of balls. It took some time to get the plants in and to get them to stay. I have always used Flourite sand for my substraits in my other tanks and find that planting is so much easier than AS II.
I plan on having this tank house my yellow shrimps and eventually some CRS.
The rocks I got from Hipuks and the branch was leftover from a branch package that I got from Badcopnofishtank. The plants that I am using are HC, Crypt Wendtii Brown, Cardinal Plant (that will be replaced by some anubias), and some sort of narrow leaf crypt/sword Ė I donít know which it is.

Tank before revamping

My hardscaping

An hour after planting (still cloudy) (taken from my phone)

3 days later - added hornroot and moss

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #304
Victor Pimp #21
55gal planted, Eheim 2215,2-65w coralife 6700k cf,flourite w/super naturals tahitian moon sand, EI dosing, Angles, Ottos, Neon Tetras, SAE, Yoyo Loach
35gal high planted, Eheim 2215, 1-96w coralife6700k cf, flourite sand, RCS
2 - 10gal planted shrimp tanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
layout is nice. attaching the moss to the dw instead of the leaving it loose might work better.

have u planted the HC? I can barely see any in the FG.

Patience is the name of the game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes, the HC is planted, I didn't have much available so I planted it very sparcely. I planted it in the front and middle of the tank. But it will be awhile before it starts to really grow out, but I'm patient. The moss is not staying on the driftwood, It went there on it's own.
I'm trying to get my hands on some UG to plant in between the rocks. So far no one seems to have any to spare.

Eheim Pimp #304
Victor Pimp #21
55gal planted, Eheim 2215,2-65w coralife 6700k cf,flourite w/super naturals tahitian moon sand, EI dosing, Angles, Ottos, Neon Tetras, SAE, Yoyo Loach

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to snoz0r
i'll be keeping an eye out on this... i plan on doing yellow shrimp in my tank as well with an assortment of fish.

click above for my tank journal - Eheim Pimp Club #357 - SunSun Pimp #3
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, after Ten+ years of service, my tank sprung it's first leak. The good news is that it is 2 inches from the top (way better than getting it on the bottom). So naturally I lowered that water line and it's sitting just below the leak. I need to get to the pet store later this weekend and get it fixed

Eheim Pimp #304
Victor Pimp #21
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Tank looks awesome. I hope the leak gets fixed.

30g planted tank

Eheim pimp #360! The circle pimp! Eheim classic 2215

Bloodworms, it's whats for dinner.

My rams:

1 balloon belly gold ram.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

well, I placed the silicone sealant on the outside of the tank and I'm hopeing that it fixes the leak. I'm now waiting for the 24 hour period for it to dry and then the 48 hours before I fill it up with water. In the mean time, my crypts are going through the "crypt melt" stage and have all melted. Hopefully by the time the tank is cycled, I'll have it looking decent again.

Eheim Pimp #304
Victor Pimp #21
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I wanted to get some shrimp. I'm gonna try what you did with the rocks there

My PSP mod:

My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I try to do something different with each of my tanks. I have another 10 gal shrimp tank where the plants and rocks are only on one side and the branches reach towards the othe side. And I have a nano that the plants are all in the center. My bigger tanks all look like jungles. I have alloud the plants to grow where ever and to grow out of control. I have not decided on what I'll do with those yet.

Eheim Pimp #304
Victor Pimp #21
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, the tank is filled to the top again and no leaks.
The tank is still cycling.
Water prams is
Ammomia - 4.0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5.0
Ph - 6.0 (all my other thaks are 7.4 - AS II really does bring the ph down)

My crypts are starting to show signs of recovery from the "crypt melt". HC show growth also in new leaves. Got my hands on some UG - thanks to skewlboy. He came to the rescue and answered my cry for help in locating UG in the SNS section. That should come in sometime this week (I hope). The UG will be going in the right back corner where the Cardinal Plant is.

This is week #2 in cycleing the tank. With the Ammonia going down and the Nitrate going up... Hopefully by next week or the week after, the tank will be finally cycled.

Eheim Pimp #304
Victor Pimp #21
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

update... Still cycling the tank. I have added an Eheim 2213 onto the tank along with the HOB. I will be removing the HOB in a few weeks. The Eheim is a bit too powerful for this tank and is lifting the moss up, but it isn't disturbing the substrait.

I have taken the cardinal plant out and replaced it with UG. I have no idea how to plant UG so I basically broke it off in clumps and tried to sick it into the substrait. Hopefully it will take root. I've read that it takes months before it actually starts to grow in a new aquarium. We will see...
I did my first wc on this tank yesterday and did a 50% wc. I've tested the ammonia this morning and it is at 2.0. We are getting there.

Eheim Pimp #304
Victor Pimp #21
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

new update. Still cycling... Hopeng that we will be done by next week. water prams are..
gh 4
kh 0
ph 6.4
ammonia 1.0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10

Crypts are bouncing back fine and the HC is growing in good, it hasn't started spreading yet but it has nice green leaves. 99% of my UG has melted away. That was $30 down the drain. Now I have to re-think on what I want to put on the right back corner. In the mean time I have a cat that seems to think that the fish tank has better tasting water than the water bowl. I need to get my hands on an all glass top for the tank. But that will have to wait until I get back from vacation... need to save all my pennies for the vacation...This hobby sure sucks up all your extra cash and fast!

Things to do on this tank still..
upgrade the lighting
get a clear glass top
get a paintball co2 setup
add shrimp
find a plant for the back right corner

Eheim Pimp #304
Victor Pimp #21
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah! Today is the day! Ammonia measured 0. Time for the big move! Acculimated the shrimp (14 yellows) for 2 hours before I placed them into the tank. They are going from hard water to soft. Shrimps seem to be fine but there is a strong flow in the tank from the Eheim 2213, but I'm hopeing that they will get use to it in time. I still have not figured out what I will put in the back right corner. Any suggestions on a low forground plant is welcomed.
Re-scaped my daughters 30 gal yesterday. They had a ceramic barel and 4 plastic plants in their tank and nothing else (except for fish). Pretty pathatic looking. I have been itching to do something to the tank for over 6 months now. I had gone over there last month for a baptism...sat there looking at the tank all day and by the time I came home, I had decided that I was going to re-do their tank wether they like it or not.
It actually looks good now. I grabbed my extra rocks that I had laying around and grabbed plants from my various tanks. Bought new lighting for the tank and some Manzanita wood.. Lucky for me, They actually like it a lot better now. I had showed up with a few minutes warning to them. I did not want to do too much to the tank because they seem to like the "sparse" look since they had the tank for 9 months with only 4 plants in it, So I went very light in my decorating - aiming for giving the tank 'Character' instead. I'm thinking about adding a few branches on the right side also.. But this is the way I had left it yesterday..

Eheim Pimp #304
Victor Pimp #21
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Any idea why the UG melted? I've never grown it, so I dont know how tempermental it is.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think that it was because the tank was not cycled yet. From my understanding (after it melted) that it does not like Ammonia, and it needs co2. I've never grown it either and this was my first try.

Eheim Pimp #304
Victor Pimp #21

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode