Tank Journal #2 New Low Tech 10g Betta Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank Journal #2 New Low Tech 10g Betta Tank

Well folks as the title says this is my Second tank. (and my wife said my last)

Going low tech this time around (and sticking with it)

Here is the breakdown on the tank

Equipment
10 gallon kit tank
Fluval U2
Cheapo heater that came with last 10 gallon kit
Marineland Hidden LED Strip Light

Substrate
3 inches substrate of VERY WELL rinsed CaribSea FloraMax
Osmocote Plus under the substrate

Hardscape
2 pieces of Malaysian Driftwood (Boiled for about an hour each)

Flora
Anubius Nana
Windelof Java fern
Anacharis (forgot that excel melts it so it may not live) (oops)
1 Marimo Moss Ball

Fauna
1 Half moon Betta
9 Neon Tetras and
2 assassin snails

So this little tank has given me some troubles to start with but it seems to be going better.

First I used 50% of the water out of my existing 10 gallon planted tank in an effort to kick start the cycle. This turned out to be a bad idea because my tank looked like I poured a gallon of milk in it for about 2 1/2 days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6YM8nmWroo

So after using something to clarify the water, and putting in some fine filter floss, The water cleared up quite nicely. But then I found a new issue. There was some white funk growing on my roots and leaves of my Windelof Java fern.

It wasn't on the Anubius Nana or on the driftwood so I wasn't sure what it was. I got in there and did another 50% water change and rubbed the funk off of the roots and leaves and now its starting to look a lot better.

Here are pictures of the tank and its inhabitants

Odd thing about these two pictures. It is exactly the same fish but he looks Orange in one picture and Blood Red in another. First one taken with a Cell Phone and the other with my DSLR (the first one is actually truer in color)

I know currently the light isn't adequate enough for the tank (even at low light) but I am going to be putting my Current USA Satellite Plus on the tank once my Satellite Plus Pro comes for my Hi-Tech tank.

Below is the same tank with what will be its new light (in about a week)

This tank will be a non-CO2 tank so I am going to keep it very very simple but I would still love suggestions on plants to put in the tank that would look good and thrive in a non-CO2 environment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Torn down 10/2018

Current Build

Last edited by MEandYouPhoto; 06-08-2015 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Repaired Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
http://www.aqadvisor.com/
Not enough filter for that bio-load.
The first thread in the "Low Tech" section of the forum has plants that can go in there
but look them up so you won't put any that get too big. Amazon Sword for example can get 24" tall.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
http://www.aqadvisor.com/
Not enough filter for that bio-load.
The first thread in the "Low Tech" section of the forum has plants that can go in there
but look them up so you won't put any that get too big. Amazon Sword for example can get 24" tall.
Raymond I am not sure which filter you selected but I ran the numbers

It says I am doing fine with this filter

It did say that Assassin Snails and Male Betta's are not compatible but so far I have not found any information to support this as all AqAdvisor says is

"Warning: Betta [Male] is not recommended to be with Assassin Snail - further research is highly recommended."

Torn down 10/2018

Current Build

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have a feeling that since they limited it to a male Betta it's related to fin length and that further suggest it will be eaten.
My two 10g tanks present me/w problems getting plants that(I think) are size compatible to the tank. Stem types are the most obvious problem...too tall. I limit myself on the number and the lease limits the size BTW on these tanks.
Actually...they say..."you are not allowed to have a tank over 10g".
I know I didn't hear anything in that statement about a number restriction on them
but who knows how they feel about it. LOL...

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
I have a feeling that since they limited it to a male Betta it's related to fin length and that further suggest it will be eaten.
My two 10g tanks present me/w problems getting plants that(I think) are size compatible to the tank. Stem types are the most obvious problem...too tall. I limit myself on the number and the lease limits the size BTW on these tanks.
Actually...they say..."you are not allowed to have a tank over 10g".
I know I didn't hear anything in that statement about a number restriction on them
but who knows how they feel about it. LOL...
lol I wish I could find you a loophole for your tank size but if it literally does say "you are not allowed to have a tank over 10g" then I believe that by using the phrase "a tank" they limit you to one and only one. lol

I would be super sad if my Betta died from the assassin snails in the tank but of the inhabitants of the tank the Assassin snails are at the bottom of the priority list lol.

Torn down 10/2018

Current Build
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Stem types are the most obvious problem...too tall.
You can have stem plants. You just have to prune them to keep them in porpotion.
Myriophyllum mattogrossense is a stem plant with small leaves. I have it in a 20g which is the same height as a 10g tank.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 12:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

QUOTE=MEandYouPhoto;7949153]There was some white funk growing on my roots and leaves of my Windelof Java fern.
[/QUOTE]

It is a fungus which usually grows on new wood or in new aquariums. It tends to go away on its own and it's mostly harmless. You did the right thing to remove most of it during a water change. In my case it grew where there was not enough water flow.

Very nice Betta. I like how he has a blue shine at some angles. It looks longer than mine, hmm. How does it go along with the neon tetras?

Keep us updated.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
You can have stem plants. You just have to prune them to keep them in porpotion.
Myriophyllum mattogrossense is a stem plant with small leaves. I have it in a 20g which is the same height as a 10g tank.
Thanks for the heads up. I will have to keep an eye out for that plant once I get my light switched over from the other tank. It should provide medium light.

Can you tell me however will it thrive without CO2? I do not plan on putting CO2 in this tank.

Thanks

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukydaf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEandYouPhoto View Post
There was some white funk growing on my roots and leaves of my Windelof Java fern.
It is a fungus which usually grows on new wood or in new aquariums. It tends to go away on its own and it's mostly harmless. You did the right thing to remove most of it during a water change. In my case it grew where there was not enough water flow.

Very nice Betta. I like how he has a blue shine at some angles. It looks longer than mine, hmm. How does it go along with the neon tetras?

Keep us updated.
I have had no issues with the Betta and the Neon Tetras. The Betta spends its time in the top half of the tank and the Neon Tetras spend their time in the bottom half of the tank (Swimming against the current)

The blue you mentioned was the exact reason I picked him up at the LFS. I saw him and just went WOW!

Torn down 10/2018

Current Build

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode