klibs' 75 gallon high tech (4th reboot) - The Planted Tank Forum
 80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 159 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
klibs' 75 gallon high tech (4th reboot)

***I will be updating this first post with specs / general details as the setup evolves***

Current Status:
Whatever

Most Recent Pic (6/30/2017):

Learning from all of my research has made me GREATLY appreciate those of you who took time to keep detailed journals on how you accomplished great tanks so I will try to do the same. If this journal one day helps someone model a great looking tank I will be happy.

Current Hardware:
  • 75 Gallon tank
  • Apex Controller (pH / temp probes)
  • 2 x EHEIM 2217
  • Koralia 425
  • Koralia 240
  • 10 lb CO2 tank (Apex controlled for failsafe)
  • Griggs style DIY PVC reactor for CO2 inline with one of the 2217 cans
  • 2 x Build My LED Dutch XB
  • Black Diamond Blasting Sand

Current Flora:
  • Needle & Narrow Leaf Java Fern
  • Fissidens Fox
  • Crypt wendtii bronze
  • Anubias nana & petite
  • AR Mini
  • Rotala Colorata
  • Ludwigia Red
  • Ludwigia Arcuata
  • Moneywort
  • Blyxa Japonica
  • Staurogyne Repens
  • Lobelia Cardinalis (not the small version?)
  • Marsilea Crenata (i think)
  • Glossostigma Elatinoides
  • Bacopa sp Japan
  • Bacopa Colorata
  • Staurogyne Bihar
  • Ludwigia sp Ruben (not sure? kind of like rotala macandra?)

Current Fauna:
  • Bloodfin Tetra x6
  • Pearl Gourami x3
  • Ottos x6
  • Pepper corys x6
  • Cardinal tetra x12
    More to come!!!

6/30/2017

5/8/2017

4/9/2017

1/18/2017

11/5/2016

9/29/2016

9/20/2016

9/13/2016

2/15/2016

2/6/2016

9/2/2015

8/13/2015

6/8/2015

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by klibs; 07-01-2017 at 03:44 AM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 159 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hold for future posts

Last edited by klibs; 09-27-2016 at 03:41 PM. Reason: backup
post #3 of 159 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hold for future posts

post #4 of 159 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 10:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Dang, that's a large tank for such small stocking. Any future plans or do you like it that way?

post #5 of 159 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
Dang, that's a large tank for such small stocking. Any future plans or do you like it that way?
Nah - I will load up with a variety eventually. right now I am going to keep it simple while things settle in.

Also going to get a ton more rummys eventually

post #6 of 159 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Awesome! I couldn't settle on a single school, and rummys are hard to find locally. My LFS says they are unpopular outside of the planted tank community, so they don't stock them often. Any larger fish planned?

Also, waiting on these photos. I'm excited. If I recall correctly, you helped me immensely when I started my tank.

post #7 of 159 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 06:09 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
How many bags of the black diamond sand have you used and what is your sub straight depth. I am setting up my 75g with black diamond and was going to go with the medium 20-40 grit and was guestimating 3-4 50lb bags would put me somewhere in the range of 3" depth, am I correct?
post #8 of 159 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'd say 4 would be a good start. I used 5 on my 75g, but hada larger slope towards the back. klibs may have a more uniform substrate though.

post #9 of 159 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalaxR View Post
How many bags of the black diamond sand have you used and what is your sub straight depth. I am setting up my 75g with black diamond and was going to go with the medium 20-40 grit and was guestimating 3-4 50lb bags would put me somewhere in the range of 3" depth, am I correct?
3x 50lb bags was perfect for me. Got pretty solid depth. (2" +)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
Awesome! I couldn't settle on a single school, and rummys are hard to find locally. My LFS says they are unpopular outside of the planted tank community, so they don't stock them often. Any larger fish planned?

Also, waiting on these photos. I'm excited. If I recall correctly, you helped me immensely when I started my tank.
Nope!
Rummys all the way! Gonna keep the black skirt tetra in there though - he deserves to stay and is a pretty funny "centerpiece" fish to have. Have a handful of ottos too. rummy's are very fragile when you first get them but once they are accustomed to your tank they will not die - very easy to keep once they survive acclimation. I got a few locally but they are extremely hard to find. Had pretty good success ordering a bunch on liveaquaria. I will be getting a lot more in the (hopefully near) future.

Anyways...

Total redo was a COMPLETE success. Lost 0 fish. They were angry being in quarantine for a day but they got RED once they were in their new home for a few hours. They're loving it right now - eating like the animals they are.

Finished planting out my hair grass. It took me OVER 10 HOURS to plant all of this. I swear if it does not fill in I will be so mad I might quit the hobby. Looking good so far... Going to keep things nice and easy on the ferts and closely monitor my N/P and make sure the tank is squeaky clean. Can't start off on the wrong foot.

In the next month or so I am looking to diversify the plants in the mid / background and order a larger variety. We'll see what we end up with. Definitely going to keep some of my blyxa but it will be replaced with different plants eventually. Keeping it stocked up tight with plants to make sure I can hit the tank with good amounts of light. Also ignore the hideous rotala stems. Once they start filling in I will keep them trimmed up pretty (hopefully lol)

Latest pic (2 days after setup - I will take a much less terrible pic eventually):

Last edited by klibs; 06-09-2015 at 12:08 AM. Reason: yerp
post #10 of 159 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 05:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/80%)
Nice clean setup. I love the simple tanks.

-Mikey G
post #11 of 159 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 03:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I'm excited to follow along with the one. Keep up the good work!
post #12 of 159 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Actually going to give an update... Been slacking on this

STILL struggling to get my DHG carpeted the way I want it. Trimming my L Arcuata / L Brevipes so they grow nice and compact which is why there is a lack of a background right now. Rotala is doing well but again it is still a work in progress. Things are really beginning to fill in now. In another two months we should be looking nice.

The plan is to phase out a good amount of the blyxa in favor of the ludwigia. I want it to be purely a midground plant and take up less real estate. Also need to trim and begin to propagate the AR mini. Not seeing the best growth out of that one... A fresh start would probably help it out.

Pics:

post #13 of 159 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 04:45 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Hey Klibs, looking good man!

post #14 of 159 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 01:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Beef up that school!
post #15 of 159 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevets9333 View Post
Beef up that school!
Steve dude I have no luck with rummys. Going to switch to harlequin rasboras soon...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode