A place for my progress... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
A place for my progress...

Well after many years of fishkeeping I have ventured over to the planted side.... I am new to the board (reader for a long time but haven't posted much). I welcome any suggestion and any help is much appreciated.

Tank Info and Equipment:
125G Tank (72" X 18" X 22")
2 X 96W PC from AH Supply
RENA XP3 External Filter
10 lb Co2
Electronic Regulator from Aquariumplants.com
External Co2 Reactor with ph probe holder
Milwaukee PH controller
4 Blue Lunar lights

Plants:
Java Fern
Anacharis
Cabomba Furcata
Ludwigia Repens
Sunset Hygro
A few I don't know the names of...haha

Fish:
25 Cardinal Tetras
10 Rosy Barbs
8 Harlequin Rasboras
2 Kuhli Loaches
3 Clown Loaches
5 Blue Gouramis
10 Assorted Guppies
1 Rubber Lipped Plecostamus
6 Bala Sharks

I am still in the starting phase and trying to figure out what I can grow. I have started to develop a layout but nothing is ever final. The driftwood on the left side is going to be replaced with Manzanita branches instead of those huge chunks. Let me know what you guys think...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2980.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	13580  

Name:	IMG_2990.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	13581  

Name:	IMG_2970.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	13582  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
I think that you need to do is keep getting plants from bsmith782. That is a failsafe at setting up a stunning tank!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

I agree! Thanks again! I will post some new photos tonight with all the new stuff...

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks great!

I love the egeria densa in the back. I didn't know it looked like that in a big group.

Bala sharks are finally in a big enough tank! props to you!

Hey are your rosy barbs bothering plants? I heard they can nibble plants sometimes. I was planning on getting some because they are one of my favorites. Never kept em with plants and my barbs got eaten by a bigger fish...

And finally, the plant in front of the small piece of wood is some kind of moss, (kind of stating the obvious) but a closer inspection would reveal the species.

My tank sucks now

Fraternity of Dirt # 22
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Seds: I got the rosy barbs just for eating the BBA. They have not bothered any of my other plants and have done a very good job of cleaning up the BBA. That moss is just java moss but i have removed that piece of wood and transferred it to one of my 58G tanks. I am trying to rid the 125G of java moss but that stuff is everywhere. I fear I will never be able to get rid of it completely...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I know what you mean, but my moss problem is caused by goldfish chewing away at the stuff. They don't swallow it but they sure love pulling it off the rocks. I had a hand sized patch of stringy moss growing but when I took my tank divider down, it was gone within a day. It is all over in the filter. I tried to salvage what I could but my efforts were futile.

I used staples to good effect with Java moss in my tropical tank. Otherwise I can't get it to stay. Too bad they will rust eventually, or it would be 100% safe.

Good to know about the rosy barbs.

My tank sucks now

Fraternity of Dirt # 22
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Updated photos...one week later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3005.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	13635  

Name:	IMG_3025.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	13636  

Name:	IMG_3018.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	13637  

Name:	IMG_3021.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	13638  

Name:	IMG_3023.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	13639  

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 03:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
hmm shame it doesnt look like that anymore after today

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 04:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Lets see the progress.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

Geoff has much better photos but here are some teaser pics...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3144.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	13960  

Name:	IMG_3148.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	13961  

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 04:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

That is looking great. Any new additions (plant wise)?

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

just some dwarf sag. It should start to fill in the middle of the tank quite nicely.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
Mkay here are a couple. i took a bunch and i havent gone thru them all but where what we got.

What we started with

Finished the canopy, matches the stand/tank really well

Finished tank scape, after the water cleared ( i did a good job didnt i?!? haha :P )

And the WHOLE reason he wanted this tank where its at and presented/setup like it is, so while chilling out here this is our view

tank looks absolutly killer from the pool/patio area. i think the tank will be doing exactly what he wants it to be doing. Should look even better when the dwarg sag fills in the center and we add some rock scaping to it

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
wow! that is really nice. sometimes i don't like tanks viewable from front and back, but this looks really successful--great lighting.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

That looks excellent!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode