48" rimless iwagumi - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
48" rimless iwagumi

Hello everyone,

This is my first real planted tank aside from tampering in tiny tanks to learn the ropes. The tank is 48"x15"x15" with 1/2" thick glass. The rest of the specs are as follows:

Filter: Eheim 2028
Lighting: TEK 2x54w T5HO 6500k
Heater: Hydor 200w inline
Substrate: ADA Amazonia II (32L)
Hardscape: Zebra Rock (~80lbs)
CO2: 5lb canister w/ JBJ Regulator and 1.37" diffuser at 3 bps
Flora: HC with Glossotigma as a accent around large rock periphery. The back wall has Dwarf MicroSword.

The tank has two mounds where the angular rocks jut outward. The left is a bit higher. The middle of the tank is the low point, as well as the front of the tank. It creates a sort of river delta or valley. The front substrate is about 2" deep and the rear is at about 3.5"-4" deep, although the angle of the photos don't really do it justice.

I will plan to add livestock VERY soon as the cycling is nearing its end...

Front elevation

Left

Middle

Right

**The stems are not going to be in there long term. Nor is the second CO2 diffuser on the back wall; they are just placed for assistance until the 20 gallon rimless goes active. I also have 17mm lily pipes and clear tubing just waiting for me to put them on...

blair

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by blair; 06-20-2010 at 04:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 05:52 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Is this the same tank that is in your other thread? It looks great. I would suggest adjusting the spraybar to make less surface agitation so that your co2 stays inside your water

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, I didn't think of that. I'll fix the spray bar tomorrow or just put my lily pipe on. Yes, it is the same tank, just rescaped a tiny bit (changed a few rocks out for others and shrunk two via chiseling) from the aquascaping thread. Just figured it was time to move it here...

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
should look crazy cool when water clears and bottom is coverd in carpet
of green. ...........
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ldk59
Blair,
Tank is looking good! I agree that's it will be awesome one the carpet fills in...

Are you planning on taking it with you when you relocate?

Larry
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
diggin the hardscape. love it!

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 02:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
impressive. those rocks must weigh a ton. i wish that the big one in the left foreground were positioned in a little bit more to the right, but that's just me.

this will look great with the carpet.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks everyone! The growth is starting to explode... at least for the glosso but the HC is only slowly making a gain. The stems I put in there are also growing nicely and sending off root shoots all over. My new Aqua Soil Amazonia arrived today for my 60-P knock-off and I will remove them after the cycle is done for this new tank.

I decided to bring over 5 gallons of established tank water to continue to help it cycle a bit more. All of the 'coco puffs' from my eheim 2213 were put in the 2028 (only filled half a tray) to also give it a bacteria boost. Sadly, it continues to read a solid 1 ppm ammonia. Hopefully it cycles soon!

The water is super clear now

Last edited by blair; 06-20-2010 at 04:32 AM.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tank has some new citizens. I purchased some stellar shrimp from kangshiang. I now have 15 S to SS Crystal Red Shrimp and 15 S to SS Crytstal Black Shrimp I'll post some photos soon. Oh, and it now has 3 Otos.

Arriving later this week are 50 Neon Green Tetras from Invertz Factory.

I am having a bit of trouble with green string algae of all things... It is clinging to my HC in the middle of the tank, very low growing and nearly impossible to remove. I have been stopping my filter for 15 minutes a day, targeting the patch with excel, and then starting it back up a few minutes after I let that sink on top of it. I have been trying to keep the dose of excel at what would be recommended daily... but I am not sure if I can safely increase it a bit to combat this pest ?

Thanks for all the kind words. And yes, this tank and my other two (20 and 25 gallon rimless, starting ASAP) will be going to U of M this fall with me for grad school. My tiny studio apartment will pretty much be wall to wall water

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
I'm looking forward to the new pics of your tank growth and especially the green neon tetras. Can you let me know how well they school in your tank and if you have any jumpers?

I'd be careful with how much Excel you overdose. I think roybot73 recently killed off most of the fish in his 60-P this way.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)
Looks good over all. Just some minor thoughts/constructive criticism: I think the Iwagumi concept is very much based on an almost Zen-like almost severe simplicity and a careful "balance" of the elements used. I think you have a few too many rocks and in a much too haphazard placement to really be called an "Iwagumi". If by Iwagumi you simnply mean simple and less cluttered vs. a big ol' stem-filled planted tank then you do have that. Personally I'd prefer to see less rocks and see them more to one side than the other. It would be more "harmonious"!

Just some thoughts. You can tell me to go to hell if you want....

---------
My tank:

My Photography Website (my other hobby)

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
The algae can easily be controlled by a 3 day blackout and then adjust that CO2. Maybe 2x a week, 1/3 to 1/2 the water changed.

Too many rocks for the idea and essence, nice tank size!

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Rich815 - You make a great point. I have been trying to figure out what needs to be removed and I think the idea of one preferential side is much better. I will need to consider how to do it and keep the odd ratio and groupings. I now have 32 shrimp roaming around that need to be considered as well when I tackle it.

All my tanks will be torn down in 3 months time anyways for a rescape when I move, but I'd love to handle this sooner...

Tom - Thanks for the suggestion. I will do the blackout ASAP. I agree about the rocks.

Is there an area to look at examples in the iwagumi niche? I know Creative Aquascape Union has some great tanks, but they are more often driftwood based... very few purely rock scapes. Any pointers for where to look?

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Tank looks nice.

I know in the past I googled "Japanese rock garden arrangement rules" or something to that extent and came up with some good information.

I like the rock!
-Andrew
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I really like this setup, but I agree with the others that you could stand to lose a few rocks. I like the idea of having the focal point more on one side, I would lose all the large rocks on the right. as for the algae, with all that light you really need to have the co2 cranked. a shorter photoperiod would probably help a lot. A blackout will get rid of the algae, but it will come back quick if the problem is still there. I would try to get the algae under control first. and try a google image search for iwagumi. lots of awesome pic's

I know enough to know that I don't know anything

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode