Goldfish Fort. Algae scrubber really working well! (page 3) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Goldfish Fort. Algae scrubber really working well! (page 3)

UPDATE: All is done. Ready for the fish move.

The molding around the bottom makes all the difference in the world.

UPDATE: Hood is done. It has been painted but I did not get a proper Picture of it all painted.

#1. I made a frame that outlined the tank, return line, and Overflow box with some plastic molding.

#2.
I I lined the back and sides in 1 X 8. Cutting and dremeling the left side for the Overflow box was fun.

#3.
I discovered the light that i use for the goldfish tank will fit perfectly and give me 2.1 WPG!

#4.
Added this lovely door and made sure the light fit.

#5: Sanded, sealed the seams, primed & painted it all. Currently drying.

UPDATE: Plumbing is done!

Fail safe durso stand pipe:
Stops it from sucking in too much air and making noise. If the water is rising too fast (which it shouldn't unless there is a problem) the water covers the ends of the blue air tubes. The air tubes normally stop it from siphoning down water at a rate of 1500 GPH by allowing air in which breaks the siphon. However if the water rises too far the tubes get covered and the air is blocked. Thus it siphons really fast and flushes the box.

Bubble & Water Brake:
I call it the "splash box". 1.5" pipe enters the top of the 3" pipe. that pipe has holes in the sides. at the end there is a cap. the mixture of water and anti-spihone air smashes into that and slows down from its 3' fall. from there it goes down to a reduced 2" and then 1.5" pipe and ball valve (submerged). Extra air and water go out the 2" split which is not submerged. Any extra, extra air goes out the blue tube. It is much quieter than just letting a pipe dangle above the sump water surface and stops mostly all pressure from falling water. It also stops all the air bubbles rising up from making he top of the water look like a hot tub with the jets on.

Anti-siphon return pipe:
Air is let in the top and stops it form siphoning. Still needs a spray bar or something.

Algae scrubber:
This sheet of glass, which will soon have a rough plastic surface, will be blasted with 4 CFL (of 400w equivalence) lights through 0.5" of water. Thus a lot of light for a 19" X 12" area. it will get light for 18 hours a day while the main lights are off. Basically it will be a culturing spot for algae of all sorts. This well fed fast growing well light algae home will help turn NO3 and PO4? into something that is easily scraped off into the trash can every week. and out compete any algae growing anywhere else in the tank.

OLD: My goldfish tank used to be stunning and such. But all buy 1 of my huge goldfish died suddenly and I got real discouraged a while ago. Now I am tired of it looking bad in its self sustaining over grown with plants look. So I am gonna upgrade their home.

Current look. The original giant goldfish and a newer black oranda friend.

DIY Prototype/temporary till other home is made Algae scrubber for viability testing

I am tanking an old tank (55 gallon) and making it into a sump or sorts.
I made some Filter material boxes.
Some PVC board (expensive stuff) with stainless screws and siliconeed seams. Then some mesh clamped and cilioned in palce by more PVC board.

Does anyone know the viability of a DSB for freshwater?
If It is good I have prepared a place for one in the sump.
I made this bag of window screen. I cut it right so I could over lap a part and then just slide silicone over it while tapped to a cardboardbox. It worked well. Very strong & almost seamless.

Pictures of DSB area.

It will be flush to the glass when filled.

Done with the sump.

Last edited by CardBoardBoxProcessor; 06-22-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just got an Email that my heavy duty metal shelving has been shipped and will arrive on friday.

OVERKILL! Stand (I don't know what size tank I will get 75 - 120 so better safe than sorry.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 06:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)
That is a huuugggeee goldfish, nice.

Good for you for upgrading your tank, intresting DIY too, any reason why you decided to use half the tank for a sump instead of just getting a big HOB?

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

He is actually bigger but at that angel he looks small.

here i will add better pictures.

I am using a 55 gallon cause I have a spare. i am using that real open shelving and a large sump for extra water as well as openness. one real drive to overhaul my tanks and move them into the basement is the canister filters and not open enough. I wanna be able to get to the filters easier. HOBs are hard to do that to and canisters get water all over when something goes wrong or you need to open them.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
How old is your big fish. I saw one the size of my fist for $35 mine is an inch and $2.89. So your two fish will have how much room to swim in got kind of lost when mentioning the sump.

75g, pair of gold rams , ABN, 1 adult 2 young discus, 2oto's, 6ADF's, 3 anglefish. 96w 6700k-light 6hrs raised, No C02, Excel, EI dry macro's and micro's, Eheim 2126, 18w UV, 2 Nano 270 powerhead. wall of bubbles for more O2 for such a deep tank.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

He is probably 3 years old.

I am not sure. I am going to get something between 75 and 120. It depends which is the biggest for the buck.

for example, once upon a wonderful time 75 gallons were $100 at petsmart and 120's were like $130. Obviously the 120 held more water for less money.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Craigs list and Freecycle have had good buys or free tanks. Just have to ask for tank only for super cheap or free.

75g, pair of gold rams , ABN, 1 adult 2 young discus, 2oto's, 6ADF's, 3 anglefish. 96w 6700k-light 6hrs raised, No C02, Excel, EI dry macro's and micro's, Eheim 2126, 18w UV, 2 Nano 270 powerhead. wall of bubbles for more O2 for such a deep tank.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Maybe you could keep Riccia in your "sump". I think theres too many nutrients from the goldfish, hence all the algae.

My cousin has a quite impressive goldfish tank. It has several large rocks in the back that slope downwards towards the front, and they are covered with anubias and java fern. The goldfish have spawned several times. Maybe you could try something like that for your aqua scape.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

lol. I will wait till the overhaul to worry about algae.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got my shelving and built it. I am water proofing the plywood and painted the algae scrubber bin.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I ordered my Over flow box and my pump. Now I have three pumps. Hopefully the store will take this useless mag drive 2 back and this 4extra 300 GPH over flow box I bought can be used for something else.

I learned my lesson on buying before I have researched correctly.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
That looks great. I can't wait to see the final product. My 10 gallon is getting tricked out. Check out my journal. It's in the link below.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My PSP mod:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I anti-photo degradation painted my tub & cut the pieces for the scrubber.

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I scrapped my original Algae scrubber design and came up with an in sump all flow version. Just some simple old used up test bulbs.

Here is the light. I made it all today in one sitting.

post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got a 75E gallon tank. Dunno what the E is... it is a bit more than 75 I think cause it is 21" high instead of 20" like the regular 75 gallon.

everything fits well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode