New tank and new to the forum... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New tank and new to the forum...

... but not to aquariums.

Had a couple of 10 gallons in grade school. A 55 gallon in high school and college. Added a 20 gallon after that... Kept the 55 until about 5 years ago, gave it to a friend, and replaced it with a new 30 gallon cube.

Have had many different fish over the years, and have recently decided I would really like to try live plants after lurking here for some time now.

So the current situation is as follows:

30 gallon Oceanic cube and stand glass top
Two 15w strip lights
Magnum 250 HOT filter
Aquaclear 150w heater

(7) longfin white clouds
(1) redtail shark
(1) common snail - remains from a failed live plant attempt years ago

Obligatory pics:

Yea... It's a plastic plant, but I've never been happy with the look of any of them, and rock-only aquariums bore me.

The last thing I needed was a second aquarium, but this past week I stumbled into a pet store that was closing a location, ( I went to purchase more fish food.) and they were marking things down like crazy.

I brought home a biocube 8, new in the box, for $49. I just couldn't pass it up.

Not sure what to do with it yet, so I have been lurking here, and looking for ideas. Considering some changes to the 30 cube now also...

Last edited by aquavette; 05-11-2009 at 04:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 06:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Welcome to PT!

Nice looking tank regardless of the plastic plant, lol. The layout is simple and promising if you're going to take up real 'scaping. To be honest, that is the only fake plant I've ever thought looks kinda good, used a lot of it in my old chameleon cage.

We have the BioCube 29, too (which is almost the same tank as your OC30), but is a reef tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish
Welcome to PT

IMO even though the plastic plant doesn't looks to bad I think you should get some real plants. Java fern or Anubias on driftwood would look awesome in there but thatís just my opinion
And you will definitely find some ideas and inspiration on here.
Can't wait to see what the changes you will do to your 30 cube

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental illness."

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Algae Grower

Welcome to PT!

A Biocube 8 for $49? That is a great deal!

Options are endless, with some DIY CO2 and a decent soil there is a lot you can grow. That size would make a great shrimp tank.

Make sure you check the light that came with the biocube, you will probably have to switch it, it believe it comes with a combo actinic 10k bulb, switch it to 6700k or straight 10k. The actinic will cause problems in a freshwater tank.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bploeg View Post
Welcome to PT!

A Biocube 8 for $49? That is a great deal!

Options are endless, with some DIY CO2 and a decent soil there is a lot you can grow. That size would make a great shrimp tank.

Make sure you check the light that came with the biocube, you will probably have to switch it, it believe it comes with a combo actinic 10k bulb, switch it to 6700k or straight 10k. The actinic will cause problems in a freshwater tank.
Yup. 49 bucks. Hard to believe.

The tank was new and still in plastic, but the box had been opened, and was missing one ballast. I took a chance and scooped it up.

One e-mail to Oceanic thru their website, and the next morning I got a call and an e-mail. I explained the situation, and that I had no way of knowing if the ballast had been "borrowed" by the retailer, or was simply missing.

Nick at Oceanic said it was no problem, and sent out a new ballast via UPS, a new instruction sheet, and even a new 18w 10k bulb once I explained that I was going Freshwater!!! All at no charge!

I would highly recommend Oceanic based on that kind of customer service.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
Welcome to PT!

Nice looking tank regardless of the plastic plant, lol. The layout is simple and promising if you're going to take up real 'scaping. To be honest, that is the only fake plant I've ever thought looks kinda good, used a lot of it in my old chameleon cage.

We have the BioCube 29, too (which is almost the same tank as your OC30), but is a reef tank.
It was a hanging Bamboo plant for a terrrium. Thinned and shortened, it was the only thing I could find that looked satisfactory.

I like the minimalist look. Maybe a smaller version of this in the 8 gallon with a real plant, since it has more suitable lighting. I was thinking:
(1) piece of driftwood
(1) "feature" plant
and maybe a short "carpet" of something
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I prefer the minimalist look, too. But I've also had a bout of "collectoristis", it's hard to avoid when you first discover the power of the swap and shop forum.

I was up way too late last night, thought I read your Oceanic was a 30gl, and forgot my BioCube is an Oceanic, lol. Anyway, just in case there was a little confusion coming from my last post. The right thing to say would've been, I also have a Biocube, it's a 29gl reef.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
I prefer the minimalist look, too. But I've also had a bout of "collectoristis", it's hard to avoid when you first discover the power of the swap and shop forum.

I was up way too late last night, thought I read your Oceanic was a 30gl, and forgot my BioCube is an Oceanic, lol. Anyway, just in case there was a little confusion coming from my last post. The right thing to say would've been, I also have a Biocube, it's a 29gl reef.
No confusion at all.

I like the low tech idea, and the 65 looks great. How deep is that tank?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks, I think it's 24".

I see where my confusion started, your 30 cube is an OC, too. Too many beers last night.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Still have no idea what to do for a stand for the biocube yet, but if anyone has set one of these up as planted feel free to chime in.

Not sure what the heck I'm going to do with it yet, but it will have dual 18w 10k lights, and be completely "stock".
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Does this sound crazy?

Considering tearing down the 30 cube, and using the bio 8 as a temporary home for my few fish while I do the following:

Purchase a product similar to this:

And adhere it to the inside back glass of the tank with silicone. To avoid grout issues of any kind, I would just use a black silicone to "grout" between the stones.

A very "man-made" look, which I would like, and it seems simple enough to do.

Thoughts? Recommendations on the proper silicone?

Last edited by aquavette; 12-04-2009 at 06:20 AM. Reason: determined that a tear-down was too much trouble...
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Progress? Hard to say, but it is on a stand now, and after leak testing for several months... I threw in some left over gravel from long ago, and picked up a few plants. (Potted.)

Anubias Nana (1)
Cryptocoryne Lutea (2)

Not an ideal setup, and not sure what is next, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Considering running only (1) 18w lamp, and dosing with Excel to avoid Co2 at this time. (Based on what I have read here.)

Stand courtesy of Ikea, and cheaper than the factory model. Looks nice, real sturdy, and matches the finish better than the photos show. Pardon the tape "door pull". Wasn't fond of the hardware included.

Pics:

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 06:36 AM
Planted Member

Looks good i love oceanic setups!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (89/100%)
Great looking cube tank and a heck of a deal on the little biocube. Those 30g cubes are a great size and very versatile. I need to click out of this thread before I get the Oceanic cube fever..

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Current look:

One less plant, new gravel, and small piece of driftwood.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode