ADA 60-P Nature Aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA 60-P Nature Aquarium

Hello everyone, I am new here and this is my first post

I am brand new to planted aquariums, and hope to learn as much as possible here. I am not new to aquariums though, I have kept reef aquariums for several years. I just recently became VERY interested in planted aquariums. I spend much of my time looking at Japanese style aquariums (both fresh and saltwater), and these systems really inspire me.

So here are the specs of the system that I plan on setting up. Please feel free to advise me in my selections.

Aquarium: ADA 60-P
Stand: ADA Metal Garden Stand
Filtration: ADA Super Jet ES-600 Filtration System
Filtration Components: Lily Pipe Outflow and Inflow
Filtration Media: ADA NA Carbon, ADA BIO-RIO, Palm Net, Tormaline-F
Lighting: ADA Solar I (150 watt Metal Halide (GREEN))
CO2: ADA CO2 Advanced System
CO2 Components: ADA Pollen Glass Beetle Diffuser, ADA Glass Bubble Counter, ADA Carbochon Ruby Regulator

I know that I have decided on some pricy equipment, but I like to buy quality the first time. I have the same practice in my saltwater hobby (I have Elos Systems, and use Elos products almost exclusively) Plus I really like the clean modern design of the ADA products. I currently have the tank in my fish room, and am in the process of ordering the other parts.

Please let me know if this sounds like a quality setup, that will be as easy to maintain as possible.

Thanks

~Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

I do have a question about the CO2 system. How long to these CO2 cartridges last?

~Michael
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
got posted before finished. read next post instead

Patience is the name of the game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Last edited by malaybiswas; 05-08-2009 at 03:14 PM. Reason: got posted before finished. read next post instead

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
Since I live so close to AF in Frisco, I am almost a weekly visitor there. As such I not only have a chance to look and feel the ADA products, first hand, I also get a chance to see their professional setups and get their recommendation (and they don't always recommend ADA products). I have a good rapport with the owner and the crew, so the advice I get is not what an every customer would get from a LFS.

This information is the basis for the next part, my recommendation

1. Filtration - ADA is good, but for the same price Eheim and other brands can provide more options without compromising quality

2. ADA co2 system is meant for desktop aquariums. The cartridge will hardly last for a week in a 60-P, so you would need a constant supply and they are not cheap. Also, the KIT only works with ADA cartridges so if you ever plan to change your co2 setup, no part of the KIt can be reused

3. I am a big fan of LED lighting, and since I have a couple now, I can confidently say that they are as good or better than MW with much less power consumption.

Here is a product that can be considered for the same price range of ADA Solar I
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...9&pcatid=18689

or this one (double price though and too funky for a hobbyst)
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...3&pcatid=20393

Patience is the name of the game.

|
|
|
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help!

Now I have a few questions about lighting. I am leaning toward the Solar I (150w HQI).

What are the advantages of Metal Halide Lighting over planted aquariums?
I know they run hot, and I know that they use more power than Other lighting options.

THanks

~Michael
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_cb_125 View Post
I do have a question about the CO2 system. How long to these CO2 cartridges last?

~Michael
Quote:
Thanks for all the help!

Now I have a few questions about lighting. I am leaning toward the Solar I (150w HQI).

What are the advantages of Metal Halide Lighting over planted aquariums?
I know they run hot, and I know that they use more power than Other lighting options.

THanks

~Michael

First of all great choice in equipment. I own several of those items and have upgraded some of hte others.

1- Don't waste your cash on the ADA Advacned System. If you want the ADA go with the ADA Speed Regulator and a polished 5lb aluminum CO2 tank. You would need the following to go with the ADA:

ADA Speed Regulator- will come with a brass adaptor to connect it to the US CGA fittings.
ADA EL Valve- Solenoid Vlave well worth the cash
ADA Ball Valve- Make simple maintence easy
Couple of Check valves- get a couple of ADA Grey parts sets they are cheap and give stuff to work with
ADA Presure Proof tubing- will need this before the grey silicone tubing
ADA Bubble counter
ADA diffuser of choice
ADA Drop Checker.

2- ADA ES-600 Filtration system- sweet toy and definitely heavy duty. I owuld get the one that comes with the Lily Pipes

3- MH looks awesome over a planted tank. You can get great shimmers in the water and the color of the bulb is nice. LEDs will give the same effect but if your going to buy quality equipment may as well get the ADA if you got the cash.

I own an all ADA setup you cna see it in my thread. I just upgraded from the Advanced CO2 system to the ADA Speed Regulator and from an Eheim Canister to the ES-600.

Not many of us are willing to go all ADA due to cost restraints. I keep a Mini M and it is great.

Craig

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'm guessing by your choice of products, when you say you like Japanese style aquariums you mean you saw some of Takashi Amano's aquariums and caught the bug? If so, welcome to the club! Not sure how much time you have spent looking around this site but you can save A LOT of money and achieve the same beauty without using exclusive ADA products (some are worth it, some maybe not). Not saying your stuff aint beautiful, Craigthor. I'm currently drooling over your superjet (does that make you the first non-ADA representative to own one?). Or are you now officially considered an ADA representative? Anyway, it might be worthwhile to take a look around and see what others are doing. If not, your going to have an amazing setup that will cost you an arm and leg. Don't forget all the extra essentials you have to buy like:

Substrate: ADA Amazonia I (actually worth it), Powersand, etc...
Ferts: ADA line
Hardscape: ADA stone/wood
etc...

(Continues drooling over Craigthor's filter)

10g- future shrimp wonderland/breeder

29g- in progress

A Pimp Named Eheim 350
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by amano101 View Post
I'm guessing by your choice of products, when you say you like Japanese style aquariums you mean you saw some of Takashi Amano's aquariums and caught the bug? If so, welcome to the club! Not sure how much time you have spent looking around this site but you can save A LOT of money and achieve the same beauty without using exclusive ADA products (some are worth it, some maybe not). Not saying your stuff aint beautiful, Craigthor. I'm currently drooling over your superjet (does that make you the first non-ADA representative to own one?). Or are you now officially considered an ADA representative? Anyway, it might be worthwhile to take a look around and see what others are doing. If not, your going to have an amazing setup that will cost you an arm and leg. Don't forget all the extra essentials you have to buy like:

Substrate: ADA Amazonia I (actually worth it), Powersand, etc...
Ferts: ADA line
Hardscape: ADA stone/wood
etc...

(Continues drooling over Craigthor's filter)

Nope not a rep. I could.n't afford that as I wouldn't sell I would keep it all....

The super Jet is probably the nicest filter I've bought ever. I could blow the house up and it would still run by the looks of it.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I plan on ordering the Super Jet Monday, along with a few other items. I spoke with Jeff @ ADGSHOP, and he was very helpful. I felt as though he was trying to help me, not just sell me stuff. He said that the System 74 would work for a 60-P but not to expect more that a month out of a cartridge. I am very torn on which CO2 system to use. I like the minimalistic look of the System 74, but I do want something that will be efficient on my tank.

Thanks for all the help and advice. I will be sure to post pictures and keep everyone posted on my progress.

~Michael
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I plan on ordering the Super Jet Monday, along with a few other items. I spoke with Jeff @ ADGSHOP, and he was very helpful. I felt as though he was trying to help me, not just sell me stuff. He said that the System 74 would work for a 60-P but not to expect more that a month out of a cartridge. I am very torn on which CO2 system to use. I like the minimalistic look of the System 74, but I do want something that will be efficient on my tank.

Thanks for all the help and advice. I will be sure to post pictures and keep everyone posted on my progress.

~Michael
I was getting 4-5 weeks out of the System 74 on my Mini M 5.15g. I think you will be really disappointed with it on your 60P. I would guess at around getting CO2 around 30ppm in that tank you would be at the 2-3 week mark for the canisters.

In the end its up to you. If you decide to go with the ADA 74 system I have the metal Cap Stand that is super nice I would sell for a discount. Much nicer and is SS compared to plastic.

Also remeber those replacement canisters will cost you $13-15 ea by the time you ship them. I can refill my 5lb tank for $12.80. I spent the extra cash and bought an aluminum tank so it is shiny with the rest of my equipment.

I did run the ADA 74 for 4 months, it was great being small but will cost you more in the long run. Both Jeff at ADG and Steve at AFA are great to deal with.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
If your torn between CO2, listen to Craigthor. Look at his setup and copy it. In the long run your going to appreciate the 5 pound tank more than the 74 system.

10g- future shrimp wonderland/breeder

29g- in progress

A Pimp Named Eheim 350
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice. I am leaning toward the larger co2 system.

~Michael
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (98/100%)
10lb cylinder the way to go. 10$ to refill a 5lb at my local gas store few bucks more to refill a 10lb tank.

Also, If you plan to buy ADA product get it from ADG shop tax free =) I saved over 150$

Eheim 2217 #346

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
An Eheim filter will work well with the lily pipes, but since you plan on getting the metal stand the super jet will look better. A custom built ADA stand would allow to hide the equipment and save some $$ by getting an Eheim and regular CO2 system as well as an inline Hydor heater. ADA sells an adapter for the 74 CO2 system that allows for a paintball refillable bottle. The adapter is only available in Japan though. Maybe ADG or AFA would be willing to order one for you with their next shipment. i would just get a 5lbs CO2 tank and a Milwaukee
regulator since its the cleanest looking of the bunch. I have a 60p and a ADA solar I its alot of light but looks good. It really depends on what you want to keep and grow. CRS, and most moss don't do well in warm water. A 70watt metal halide like the one fishneedit.com sells would be better or the 70watt aquamedic pendant.

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
What ever happened to this tank? Did it get set up?

Curious to see how things turned out,

-Andrew

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode