Osaka155 - new fish update 10/11/09 (56k alert!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking Osaka155 - new fish update 10/11/09 (56k alert!)

Hi folks,

So here's my journal for my first proper big, planted tank. I've run a 2 foot coldwater many years ago, and a tropical nano for my daughter (complete with the brightest plastic plants etc she can find!) the last couple of years but I've finally had permission from SWMBO to get something a little more adventurous Any comments on the curtains can be directed to her too... if you're very brave

All other comments - good,bad and ugly - happily accepted. If I'm walking into a big problem somewhere, please let me know!

There are many Fluval Osaka 155s, but this one's mine:

That comes out at 45 US gallons I believe (I'm UK) so not the largest, but plenty for our house. Lighting is 2x24w T5 HO tubes (one life-glo, one power-glo IIRC)... I'm not really sure how T5HOs work on the watts per gallon low/med/high business, so I'm ignoring it and see how we go

Sadly, the wall where that picture was taken is now home to a new sofa, and the tank has had to go in front of a radiator Obviously, this is less than ideal, so I made up a plywood board with several layers of insulation (kinda like bubble wrap sandwiched between two sheets of silver mylar) on it to sit between the cabinet/tank and the radiator. I also added a side piece which hides the pipework wires etc and painted that the same colour as the wall. From a lot of the room, you will get the side view of the tank so this makes things a lot neater.

Now, my other half is slightly worried about evaporation (this house has had some damp issues in the past, all sorted now, but it's still in her head) from an open tank, and I worry a little about the cat too, so I've made up a perspex cover and supports for it. I've not used acrylic since school, so it didn't come out quite as well as I hoped, quite a few extra scratches etc. But the supports worked well (and are hidden by the top silver trim) so if the cover gets messy, I'll send it off as a sort of pattern to some professionals and get something tidy made instead. My only worry now is that the acrylic may reflect/cut down on the light into the water... if the plants don't seem happy enough, I may cut a big hole under the tubes!

Then I added some sockets inside the cabinet for easy use and access:

Sunday I spent 2 or 3 hours getting the black background stuck on with oil... sticking it on is easy... making sure every single air bubble is out takes longer!

Tonight I spent an hour washing 3 bags of Flourite Dark (I decided the black was too harsh for me. I choose Flourite because of it's reported long term stability - I don't want to be working all the time on this tank once it's up and running, and I hope it will last for years rather than months) and putting it in the tank. I've been soaking the tannins out of some bogwood for the last 3 weeks and so that went in too.

I ordered some HC yesterday so hopefully that'll arrive shortly. I'm going to plant it up and try getting it established emersed for 2-3 weeks before going any further.

My plan is to have about 6 varities of plant, starting with bare substrate to the middle and front of the left hand side, then HC across the front of the wood, then plants getting taller as you go to the RHS and back, then across the back from right to left - a sort of sweeping spiral going upwards around the wood. I hope not to have to go for CO2 as I'm happy to have slower plants and less maintainence (not to mention the cost) but I am planning to use easycarbo (liquid carbon) to help get the plants established then reduce and keep an eye out for the dreaded algae....

I'm looking at a small shoal of dither fish (maybe a dozen rasborras), 3 or 4 pearl gourami, a pair of rams and some cherry shrimp (and maybe some ottos).

I will deny this entirely in 3-6 months time when none of that has worked at all!

Aquaone 320 28l (technically my daughter's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
); Fluval Osaka 155 just beginning

Last edited by defblade; 10-11-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Nice tank!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Looks like you have a fun project ahead of you. I like the setup so far.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the nice comments and support guys.

Hit a snag tho tonight.....

.........mine, of course, is a leaker

Spent an hour and a half planting my HC and added about 6 litres of water + ferts to saok the gravel.

Just admiring the miniscus along the gravel as seen through the glass when I thought I'd better have a quick check round.

"Oh no" or or something less repeatable.
Water drip-drip-drip as fast as you can say it coming from behind and over the bottom silver trim in the back corner

Hoiked about half the water back out, pushing the gravel away from the rear right corner (luckily, the carpet is front left so an hour and a half's planting wasn't wrecked) and now I've got the cabinet sloped up on a book to keep the rest of the water under the plants but away from the leaking corner. I'll give it till the morning to dry out some more, then slap aquarium silicone over the whole corner. Only saving grace is it'll be under the gravel and in the corner that's against the corner of the room, so I can use loads and never see it.

GRRRRRRR

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to organic sideburns
so sorry t hear about the leak, i hope ur past the worst of it!

My 20 gallon long journal:

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yep, past the worst now. I've kept the tank up on a slant for the past 3 days while the big slob of silicone I've covered the corner with went off, lowered and refilled this morning.... touch wood, no problems. There's 2 or 3 bits of HC at the uphill end which look a bit dried out/unhappy, but looks like I got away with it 99%

I'm going to be ultra cautious when I fill it completely now tho..... could take all day, checking all round after every litre!

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 05:07 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Best of luck to you. That really sucks to have a new tank leak like that.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just a quick update so it doesn't look like I've given up

HC has been growing emersed nicely for the last four weeks.

From this at planting:

To this now:

While it's clearly got a good hold, and I am keen to order the rest of my plants and start filling her up, I think I should probably really give it another couple of weeks to carpet over more fully.....
.....what do you guys think?

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Algae Grower

Sad to see that your tank was a faulty one, and a Fluval too!
Hope everything is smooth sailing from here onwards.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
I would let it fill in more and then add the other plants, but if you are like me I would be biting the bit to add more now. I hate to wait! Looking good so far.

75g, pair of gold rams , ABN, 1 adult 2 young discus, 2oto's, 6ADF's, 3 anglefish. 96w 6700k-light 6hrs raised, No C02, Excel, EI dry macro's and micro's, Eheim 2126, 18w UV, 2 Nano 270 powerhead. wall of bubbles for more O2 for such a deep tank.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Another few weeks have passed, the HC is filling in, but soooo slowly that I've decided to get on and order the rest of the plants I want, and include another pot of HC which I will plant in some of the gaps I've still got, but I'll leave it in bigger clumps this time rather than individual strands.

By the way, got a new camera which is why the colours look rather different, seems to make the HC look a bit yellower overall than it is to the eye. Also the tank was full just before this was taken, so everything is wet.

Talking of filling the tank, I had more leakage from higher up the same seam that gave me trouble even with the emersed water load. So more swearing Friday combined with more silicone Saturday has finally led to a successful, leak free, fill and drain tonight. I hate filling for the first time - too stressfull! And don't say I should have checked it outside first, before bringing it into the house... I sort of know that, but it wasn't really possible at the time...

....on with the plants!

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:51 PM

Keep it up matey. A good place to join would be ukaps.org, plenty of useful people willing to help with plant cuttings etc.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Plants arrived today

All Tropica from Green Machine. Very well packed, leaves seem in good condition, mostly with very healthy root growth (except the C. Thalictroides - roots seemed very short and a bit manky below, so we shall see.... the stems and leaves looked healthy tho).

First up as planned last week, I added another pot of HC in bigger bunches to help fill some carpet gaps.

I have disturbed the HC a lot more than I hoped as I did the rest of the planting so not a 100% success but hopefully it will settle down again in time with its head start. As the water clouded up, it was hard to see exactly what needed doing where, so I think some targeted remedial work in a day or two will be in order when it's cleared.

Anyway, before adding water:

I didn't really know how many plants to order, so I had 2 of each variety. As it turns out, you get a lot of plant in each pot from these guys and I probably could have got away with 1 pot of each. I seemed to be able to get a good 3 or 4 bunches without too much bother from each pot; I could have spread them a lot further with extra splitting effort.

Still, this way I get a lot of effect very quickly Assuming they all survive... I'm dosing easycarbo and profito at least until they get established then plan to drop the supplement levels to reduce maintainence and see how we go with the algae.

I ended up taking a few goes to get happy with the crypts (where a lot of the HC messing about came from) but the rest seemed to go OK despite rapidly falling visibilty in the tank.

So, here's a few photos. The rising-to-the-back effect I'm after is appearent already from the side view - hopefully this will stay as they grow. (If not, there's clippers ). I'm also happy with the amount of free water for the fish that are to come, and that the external filter seems to be moving the water around the tank nicely just as I've set it up.

During planting:

Front view:

Side view:

3/4s:

All comments greatfully recieved - especially if you can see I've done something wrong, while there still may be time to put it right!

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
The tank is looking good!

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Algae Grower

Tank looks good, I have wanted one of those combos since they came out but oh well. Keep it up she looks great.

V P #8
Me, no Iphone nope not I. Heck I would not even have a cell if I was not married.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode