My new 20 long - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My new 20 long

what do you think of my tank i just finished setting it up earlier today. I was doing an emersed method with the baby tears, but i wanted to get everything set up already

Glo t5
40 lbs of eco complete
2 x Baby Tears
4 x Dwarf hairgrass
2 x Aqua Clear 20
Lava Rock to hold up the driftwood

i still need to set up a C02 system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 06:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
looks good so far. that looks like a pretty bright light. you'll want to set up CO2 and also get more plants in there in order to discourage algae.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 06:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Looks very promising. Be sure to update.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 07:30 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Very nice.

Now i want to get a few 20 gallons. O_o Ahh!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
20 long is one of the best choice for planted tank. It looks much bigger than a 20 gallons tank. Looks very good so far but please keep us updated. Congrats

Knowledge is power. Sharing knowledge is....freedom
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the positive feedback.

Right now im running an 18000k and a 6700k in my t5. Do you think i should do 2 x 6700? and for the C02 im still drinking my coke hopefully i'll have that set up by the end of the week.

I was also planning on doing java or riccia on the driftwood and lava rock which would you sugguest i do? (pros and cons for each if possible)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
very cool lookin...keep us updated buddy.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 01:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Im running 6700k and 10000k and I love it. 18000k is very blue, as you know. Im not sure how much of that the plants can utilize. How many watts is that light?

Java moss: Pros - indestructible. Attaches onto wood/rock on its own. Cons - Kind of ugly compared to other mosses.

Riccia: Pros - grows beautifully with CO2. Cons - Makes a total mess when it's trimmed. Also, it cannot naturally attach to anything, so when it pearls it will try to float off your driftwood.

You might consider other mosses: Weeping, willow, xmas, flame, etc. I think any of those are much more attractive than java.

Overall, nice scape. I like the wood.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 03:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Did you make the legs for the light yourself or did you buy them?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
keep the 18000k, i want to see how it turns out, try switching the 18000 and the 6700, like if right now you have 18000 in the front, put it in the back, and take pics of both, it might be interested to see the difference
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 04:07 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
I like it. It really reminds me of my first tank, except yours has a better hardscape

-Chris

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 05:17 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobplanter View Post
Thanks for the positive feedback.

Right now im running an 18000k and a 6700k in my t5. Do you think i should do 2 x 6700? and for the C02 im still drinking my coke hopefully i'll have that set up by the end of the week.

I was also planning on doing java or riccia on the driftwood and lava rock which would you sugguest i do? (pros and cons for each if possible)
i've been using the 6,700K/18,000K combo for a while now and like it. that photo posted up there is not what it really looks like (at least for me). also, my tank looks washed out if i run both tubes @ 6,700K. for a better idea of what the power glo 6,700K combo looks like, go through my journal. the power glo light spectrum actually looks a lot like the aquaflora spectrum. just a little more blue and a little less red.

as far as the diy co2, you will most likely need to use 3 2 liters, one rotated out once a week + daily excel dosing. at least that's the only way i've been able to fend off algae with my 2x24w glo retro in my 29.

oh, by the way, good job on the scape. better than my 1st try.

What would Honey Badger do?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 05:28 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Great start. I would steer clear of riccia, i had it in a nano, one of the most beautiful plants I have ever grown. if it wasn't such a PITA I would still have it.
I would make riccia stones with mesh fabric over flat rocks after a few weeks they would look awesome, then a few weeks later it would break loose and i would start over. PITA(pain in the a$$)

I know enough to know that I don't know anything
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 05:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Nice and simple plant scaping. I personally wouldn't put any moss or riccia (anything fine) on that type of wood, it'll cover the stump and look like moss walls in the corners (maybe nice looking in some peoples' opinion but not mine). Instead I would add bolbitis, anubias or needle leaf java fern to it, or a combo.

More of my opinion ... blue light makes plants look ugly. I personally only see 67k washing the red plants out, really depends on the bulb manufacturer though, some 67's I have are really white, others are yellowish, all make the tank look super green like in Chonhzilla's and Haagenize's sigs.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 06:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish
Love your tank. Very nice start. And thats a very nice driftwood you got in there

"There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental illness."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode