ekalb's 72gal tank jornal... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking ekalb's 72gal tank jornal...

I guess first things first... an introduction

My name is Blake, pretty much, this is my first aquarium, minus the one I had when I was 14yrs old, which was 22 yrs ago. Anyways, one of my friends had this 72 gallon tank that they were trying to sell. Needless to say, it never sold, and I always told them that I would take it off their hands. Well, they bought a house, and wanted to get a different shaped aquarium, one that would fit in the corner, anyways, he called me up and said I could have it. So, now I have this beautiful tank, and learning all sorts of information that I would have never guessed that would require to maintain an aquarium. My friend also failed to mention how much money it costs. Go figure, another hobby that I get involved with that breaks the bank.

Now for the best part.... My co-worker introduced me to this forum and has talked about live plants, and well, he got me hooked. Thanks a lot Russ. He has been a huge help, offers great advice, asks me if I'm on crack when I mention who I talk to for advice, ok, not really, but he is quick to shoot me over to a thread on this forum to do more research.

This has been truly learning experience so far, and a costly one. I bought 4 bags of this white and black rocks from petsmart. Let the filter run for a week, went to do a water change since it was not clear like it should be. When I stirred up the rocks, the water turned black. The paint on the rocks was coming off. So, back to square one. Ended up buying pool sand and some eco-complete, which looks a 100% better anyways.

Ok, introduction is done, I guess. Here is what I have so far:

Equipment/Setup:
* 72 gallon tank w/stand and hood
* 2 bags of pool sand from home depot
* 2 bags of eco-complete - non contamintated
* a bunch of greek looking decor, doesnt look bad actually
* JALLI A11 lamp, I think they are T8s
* RENA Filstar XP4
* RENA SmartHeater 300 Watt
* RENA Air 400
- yeah, I know, all RENA, I like finding a one stop shop company
* and misc chemicals and test sets

Plants:
Ordered the following: http://www.freshwateraquariumplants....PROD/PAP/57GSF

Fish:
none yet, maybe tomorrow, depending on the water tests.

pics:
forgive me, but it's late, I'm getting tired, and I'm feeling lazy. In the meantime, here are some pics taken with a crappy cell phone camera.
http://www.zereaux.net/aqua/
I'll try and clean them up and actually put them in this post.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode