McQueen 20G High, high tech. Updated 9-15-09 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
McQueen 20G High, high tech. Updated 9-15-09

Everything changed scroll to bottom for changes

Everyone always complains about back pains setting up their new tanks. I made a tall temporary stand as I set up and cycle this tank. Strut makes a solid base, 600lbs per foot supported. I will make a much smaller, much more aesthetically pleasing tank once I'm happy with the overall layout.

Wood was considered.

When I was thinking some stuff showed up.

I decided against wood.

My QT tank.

Does this filtration system setup make sense? It's a Eheim 2213. Is it set up correctly? I'm currently waiting on a 48 watt 24" Nova Extreme SLR T-5 set up for 10 hours a day with a small compact fluorescent 20 watt set for 3-4 hours a day.

CO2 is pressurized from Orlando's paintball CO2 Reg.

It will be mildly planted at first. Just to get the jist of things, I'll be adding more plants, fish and shrimp as the tank permits. Thank you for the views and hopefully advise.

Last edited by SteveMcQueen; 09-16-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Drs Foster Smith just back ordered my light for an additional 10 days so hopefully the plants will make it until then. To compensate, I'm leaving the light on 24 hours a day. Still dosing excel and got 2 bubbles a second on the co2.

But the good news is, its planted, I don't really know anything about planting plants or what looks good. I just know I like lots of color and and rocks and don't like wood. Any suggestions would rock.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
The intake strainer is a bit long You wanna try cutting it back a bit? Well it may be too late now...

But I like the plant choices! What light are you planning to get?

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooTycoonMaster View Post
The intake strainer is a bit long You wanna try cutting it back a bit? Well it may be too late now...

But I like the plant choices! What light are you planning to get?
Ya, this setup is all just temporary. I wanted to get it set up at my parents house, its close to the beach for rocks and stuff, and I don't want to have any mistakes in my apartment (water...everywhere). I'll definitely cut everything down when its time. Researching tank stands and whatnot.

I ordered the Current Orbit 24". Should be more than enough for a 20H with co2 and ferts.

Put my long finned Danios in yesterday. They freaked out for a couple minutes but now they are chasing each other around all day just like the old tanks. I'm pretty sure they don't sleep.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have a root problem.

Is this just an issue of new plants growing, will the problem stop naturally? Should I be dosing more ferts? Should I be snipping these roots off?

PH is very low, Nitrates, Nitrites and Ammonia are non-existent. I'm using pressurized CO2 and its going at about a bubble and a half a second. I'm dosing Exel at a cap full every other day. Lighting is my weak spot, still only that 20 watt but I'm leaving it on 16 hours a day to try and make up for it until the real deal gets here.

Fish on crack.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 01:43 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Very impressive tank SteveMcQueen!

Love your layout, nice plant selection too.
I believe the "root problem" is just natural. Happened to one of my plants a while back, they just fell off after a while..
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Did some work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fish7.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	15250  

Name:	fish5.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	15252  

Name:	fish4.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	15253  

Name:	fish3.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	15254  

Name:	fish1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	15255  

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Warning! I don't know any name of any plant, so I'm just calling them as I see um. Also, sorry for the bad pics, my normal lens broke and it was daylight when I took the pics.

Sooo, I had a huge algae outbreak and lack of filtration in my last set up. Now Im running basically the same setup but the CO2 system is more reliable (thanks Orlando you rock). Begged and pleaded for other more awesome members scraps (thanks PlantedTank), and threw them in here to see what would grow. Surprisingly everything, and very quick as this tank is less than 2 months old. I think what helped me was just letting the tank do its thing and stop screwing with it every day. The high quality plants surely helped as well.

I know I'm prolly due for my first trim. I think I want to take the plants on the right down to like 3-4 inches and have a longer stem plant like those totally freakin awesome ones that look like green pincones hatched, the dudes in the second pics background. I dunno something to set that side of the tank off without distracting from the reddish orange plants in the front area of the tank. Those long dudes that are touching the water might work too.

I don't know what the parameters are, don't really care as long as stuff doesn't start dying. One light on at 8 and off at 6. One on at 10 and off at 5. CO2 on one hour before lights come on and off one hour before they turn off. 1 ml of iron and fert every day 40% change every weekend.

Stocking
3 Marble Hatchets (ultra boring)
4 Neon Tetras (boring)
2 Dawrf Puffers (Best fish ever)
4 Ottos (Clean Machines)
10-15 Cherry Shrimp that the puffers seem to ignore

Plants
dunno.

Then I got tired of that metal abomination I first built and spent 30 bucks on some 1x1's and screws and adjustable feet, found a piece of 1/4 underlayment in a scrapbox, painted that bad boy black and built me a stand. Sorry, forgot to take final pictures.

Anyways. Any suggestions for how to trim would rock. If you think it looks like hell tell me what to change.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Good start Steve. The stand looks cool so far.

Where did your username come from? Are you a classic movie fan?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Modesty is the only sure bait when fishing for praise."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode