291Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #286 of 471 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
mot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeygmzmg View Post
Very nice mot, I like the way the stone descends down to the front of the tank. Can't wait to see the HC soften some of the edges around them. May have misses it in the thread, but are you going to tie some moss to the branches or leave them bare?
Thanks. Yea there is some moss on the branches. We will see if it takes as it was dry started for a few days to get it to cling but the fungus is really thick so it may not make it.

-JP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #287 of 471 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Thanks. Yea there is some moss on the branches. We will see if it takes as it was dry started for a few days to get it to cling but the fungus is really thick so it may not make it.
In my experience, fungus is very good at destroying any plants that it touches. I hope the otos will be diligent in cleaning that up for the plants.

This tank is looking very nice. The hardscape looks so good together. I like how the rock angles all point towards the focal point.

I love using tissue culture plants because it's always exactly the plant that you're looking for and they're easy to clean and work with. This scape already looks very nice and will look even better once grown in.

What other plants do you have planned for this or is that a secret?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
post #288 of 471 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 08:13 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Can you please share where you sourced the Tropica tissue culture plants?

20g Long Dutch | 20g High |
|
| 1/2g Vases & Bowl |

Find me on the:
|

post #289 of 471 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
mot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdR_CHRIS View Post
Can you please share where you sourced the Tropica tissue culture plants?
Sure from Invertebrates by Msjinkzd

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bereninga View Post
In my experience, fungus is very good at destroying any plants that it touches. I hope the otos will be diligent in cleaning that up for the plants.

This tank is looking very nice. The hardscape looks so good together. I like how the rock angles all point towards the focal point.

I love using tissue culture plants because it's always exactly the plant that you're looking for and they're easy to clean and work with. This scape already looks very nice and will look even better once grown in.

What other plants do you have planned for this or is that a secret?
Yea the fungus is no fun. Otos and amanos wont go in until the cycle has run its course. So in the meantime it is manual removal with the daily water change.

-JP
post #290 of 471 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 09:04 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Shipment arrived.
5 pots HC
1 pot eleocharis mini
1 pot flame moss

This was first time using all Tropica tissue culture plants and it was by far the easiest and quickest plant session I've done. It took me about 40 minutes to plant this morning.

Mot, you will have great success on those cultures. I used that brand too !
they are healthy, clean and grow fast !! love them !
BBogdan and BBogdan like this.
post #291 of 471 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:19 AM

Hi,
I found your wood fish tank stand picture on Pinterest and I am trying to replicate it. I can't seem to find the corner braces that you used anywhere, do you remember where you got them?
Thanks.
post #292 of 471 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 02:56 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Shipment arrived.
5 pots HC
1 pot eleocharis mini
1 pot flame moss

This was first time using all Tropica tissue culture plants and it was by far the easiest and quickest plant session I've done. It took me about 40 minutes to plant this morning.

Where do you guys find these pieces of wood?!?! I haven't come across ANYTHING like this piece of wood here what is it?

130G tank, DIY paintball co2 injection, inline co2 reactor, Eheim 2217,fluval g6 Eheim pimp #437, 2x 54w 48" aquaticlife T5HO 3 300w heater, 3 bags play sand java fern, Microsorum pteropus 'narrow', Cryptocoryne wendtii 'tropica', Anubias barteri (nana,) Hygrophila difformis (wisteria), Sagittaria platyphylla, Rotala indica (Rotala roundifolia), Amazon sword 3 bala shark, 3 clown loach, 8 ottos, Red tailed black shark, 3 swordtails, Malasian trumpet snails

The Fraternity of Dirt #181
post #293 of 471 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaga43 View Post
Where do you guys find these pieces of wood?!?! I haven't come across ANYTHING like this piece of wood here what is it?
It's spider wood. i think it's also sometimes called red moor

post #294 of 471 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
mot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingAlongWithTsing View Post
It's spider wood. i think it's also sometimes called red moor
It is spiderwood and that is 5 pieces that I cut and assembled to get the shape I wanted.

-JP
post #295 of 471 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 05:02 PM
Dou
Algae Grower

I love #2 and #3. Great work - I wish I could try a tank this size... One day. Thanks for posting all these updates! And your office set-up looks great. Too bad housing here in Vancouver BC is absolutely horrible =(.
post #296 of 471 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
mot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here is a tank I did three years ago with same basic concept as my current scape. Pretty fun to look to the past and see how far I've come in a short period of time. Aquascaping is all about materials, practice and practice.

Taken 9/2013

Taken 6/2016

The old scape photo is flipped horizontally btw just to align it with the current scape.
Tyrone, Tyrone, Opare and 5 others like this.

-JP

Last edited by mot; 06-16-2016 at 12:24 AM. Reason: typo
post #297 of 471 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 05:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
The recent scape is much better! It looks more cohesive and the hardscape placement is so much more natural. The old scape is no slouch though.

||
||
post #298 of 471 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 03:04 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
It is spiderwood and that is 5 pieces that I cut and assembled to get the shape I wanted.

Do you buy this locally or online? If online, whats the website
post #299 of 471 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
mot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bereninga View Post
The recent scape is much better! It looks more cohesive and the hardscape placement is so much more natural. The old scape is no slouch though.
Yea the new one has much better proportions, flow and shape. My scaping techniques have changed dramatically as I've lived and learned.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdela View Post
Do you buy this locally or online? If online, whats the website
Both, If I see a nice piece at a fair price Ill buy it. I've bought quite a bit from the for sale section of these forums. There are a few sellers that will do wysiwyg.

-JP
post #300 of 471 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
mot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I have my 2 x 30 cm cubes setup under my 120p. One of the cubes has a pair of apistogramma cacatuoides which to my delight have fry again. The last two batches of fry stood no chance in my 120p with the other fish.

Having fry again is amazing because the male actually died or was mostly dead. I found him on the carpet the morning after I put the pair in the tank. He was dried out and not moving. Perfect example of a fish chip. Placed him in the tank just to make sure and somehow he came back to life. Never seen anything like that before. After about 5 minutes of holding him upright in the water he started breathing again. Later that day he started swimming. The next day he was taking food. And now 2 weeks later I have fry. Was like the Princess Bride story where he was only mostly dead and had to get back to his true love....hah yea whatever.

Good photo except the dog hair on the glass...geez.
Tyrone, Tyrone, Opare and 9 others like this.

-JP

Last edited by mot; 06-17-2016 at 04:08 PM. Reason: typo

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode