450 Gallon starfire planted manzy tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 120 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
450 Gallon starfire planted manzy tank

This is a small tank, perhaps the right size for many of us, it's in a client's office.
The tank is a euro braces starfire glass made by LeMar in LA area. Nice tank. Lighting is about a tad under 2 W/gal and then it's more T12 lighting than PC(one bank only).

CO2 is done via 4x AM100 reactors and there are 6 top of the line ehiems on this tank, 2 with internal heaters and 2 x 40 W UV's.

Sediment is Black flourite sand.

CO2 is measured and will be controlled via aprtial pressure meter and Neptune controller using the mV input and scaling the out puts to mV = 20 mV for each ppm of CO2. A 50 Ohm resistor is used for this conversion since input is in mA.

Wood is all old, aged Manzanita and a single piece of Redwood root for terracing only.

The display will be fairly simple, hair grass, some dwarf hygro, a few swords in the back, some Crypts, open in the middle, and anubias on some of the branches, the wood needs to be shown through, not covered too much.

After having worked with these folks together for several projects now, we will start doing smaller versions for other clients. We have an excellent carpenter, plumbing person, a LFS with good work and basics, and then myself. For even larger projects, we employee Tenji for large scale public sized aquariums.

This is not just me, I do the scaping and after work mostly. It's a team and includes the client's input more than anything. These are made for them and their taste.

This tank should be fairly easy to care for, Tony placed a semi automated water change system in the office that's hidden from view. Very easy and not mess/work to change 50%.

Ehiems are also very easy to care for, and with low light, this is going to be a fairly easy tank to maintain. 1000 Green neons will go in here. Perhaps CRS and Amanos.

The goal is to have the balls of schooling fish dart from one group of wood to the other.

Enjoy

Need to plant it sometime soon.

The tank has been leak tested, and ran, and the wood and hardscape have been water tested for stability also.

Nothing moves.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 120 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
This is a small tank,
Indeed. That's a lot of them filters.

Nice one, thanks for sharing, just wanna be in for the ride.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 120 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
Awesome tank. It seems like a great size. What are the dimensions on the tank, looks like 8 ft x 2 ft wide x 4 ft deep?

John

post #4 of 120 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/98%)
When I grow up tom, I wanna be like you

I'm not a doctor in real life but I play one on this forum

post #5 of 120 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
wow...I love the wood, where did they get it from?
post #6 of 120 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
What are the proposed lighting specs Tom? I see you briefly explained it, but was curious if its a retrofit of some kind or just some generic fixture. Are T-12's going to be enough light to penetrate all that water for the HG?

Surprised they are going with foreground plants. Will be a bit of a bear to maintain, no?

Just out of curiosity, how much does a tank like that cost. From build to delivery?

How thick is the glass?

post #7 of 120 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to timme278
wow, this is awsome, gonna take a mission to fill

post #8 of 120 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I will go along with all the other comments, wow!
First class setup, Tom
You guys do some of the best!
Md
post #9 of 120 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

the filter pic made me giddy ....and your right this is a perfect size tank for most of us subscribed

125 gallon journal
post #10 of 120 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
I really like the plan for 1000 green neons. That will make for a great school. I like massive schools of small fish in big aquariums.

post #11 of 120 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Very cool tank. But I can't imagine having to try to reach down to the bottom of that thing for trimming.
post #12 of 120 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

wow, nice filtration.

post #13 of 120 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (50/98%)
When I move to CA I'm going to apply to work with this "team" !
post #14 of 120 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 12:54 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Can't wait to see how it comes out
post #15 of 120 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 01:01 AM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesjason View Post
I really like the plan for 1000 green neons. That will make for a great school. I like massive schools of small fish in big aquariums.
X2! I'm assuming that this wood is from your recent collecting trip? I am definately green with envy. Can't wait to see this filled and planted.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode