18 gallon work in progress - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
18 gallon work in progress

Hello all. I am new to this site, but not to fish keeping. I have been in this hobby my entire life, thanks to my parents. They bred and raised various species of cichlids before the kids came along. The aquatic passion was passed along to me. My grade 8 graduation present was a 90 gallon aquarium with the works.

I am going to keep this thread as a photo journal of the new aquarium I am expecting to get next weekend (April 25th) The tank is 30" L x 12" W x 12" H making it 18.7 gallons empty. I think with substrate, fish, plants, and equipment, it will probably be in the range of about 15 gallons.

It's an older style tank, and has been suggested by the seller to redo the silicon job on it. It has thin white trim which I will probably be removing (love the trimless look) Here's a photo from the seller.

I'm getting that tank, with about 25 MTS snails, some duckweed and water lettuce all from the same seller. Awesome deal, I'm very excited. The tank also comes with a hood of sorts. Its an old style fluorescent, so I'll be unable to use a timer with it. But I don't use timers anyway.

Substrate will probably be black sand. I have used both eco-complete and flourolite and I've found no real increase or "boost" to my plants in the least. (I have the F in a 20 gallon high, and eco-complete in a 6 gallon Eclipse) I'll be dosing with Excel as prescribed on the bottle. Maybe root tabs, we'll see how it goes.

Lighting, I'm waiting to see what the hood will be like. Otherwise, I'll be taking the light from my 20 high, which is a 15watt T8. Might double that, I have its twin in the garage.

Equipment, Aquaclear 20, and Aqueon rated for a 20 gallon. Technically 40 gallons of filtration which I know hardly means anything. One at each end of the tank for circulation. No CO2. Minimal dosing, just Excel.

Prospective Flora List::
Java Moss (possible carpet, we'll see how close it grows to the ground)
Narrow Leaf Java Fern. This plant is currently very unhappy in my 6.
Hygro Difformis.
Hornwort and duckweed as floaters
Sagittaria, also unhappy in the 20 & 6

Prospective Fauna List::
Ottos, 3. Can be replaced by nerite(sp?) snails. Just want some form of algea help.
Pictus Catfish, 1 (not negotiable, I already have the guy in the 20 high and he hates it. I hope the long is more his style, otherwise I'll toss him in my 90)

Now, the real debate. To turn this into a sorority tank of female bettas (I currently have 2), or into just the general live-bearer jungle. I just sold the last of my platys on Saturday. I can easily get some nice guppies from my boyfriend. I also have a bolivian ram (male) of which I could make this a showcase tank for him. But I also love the look of a Cockatoo Cichlid.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode