Hvuong 60-P High Tech - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hvuong 60-P High Tech

After many months of planning im finally starting up my first serious tank and ive made a list of my expenses.

Tank: ADA 60-P $120
Filter: Eheim 2215 $110
Light: 24" Coralife aqualight 96w $40
CO2: 10# pressurized co2 with jbj regulator and DIY inline reactor w/ inline heater $50 (bought a full set-up and parted everything out except the CO2 system)
Substrate: ADA AS and ADA PS $50
Misc (tubing, ferts, check valves): $50

The tank is in my room, which is my garage, and on top of a counter top my dad put in there for me for my clothes and stuff. The granite is drilled for my filter tubing and electrical wires.

Flora so far:
HC
Lobelia Cardinalis
Limnophila Aromatica
Eichhornia Diversifolia
Polygonum Praetermissum 'ruby'
Poaceae Purple bamboo
Rotala Indica
Ludwigia Glandulosa

Fauna:
My cousin has a pair of GBR that have been trying to breed for the past month or so without success, either ill wait for the offspring or borrrow them for a month and try to breed them myself
3x otocinclus

Havent decided on the hardscape yet and ill be dosing EI

When the plants come they will be in a holding tank, waiting for my HC to come first so i can grow it emmersed unless i get impatient.

should i put some water into the AS just to cover the substrate in the meantime to let some bacteria form?

Like i said, this is my first serious tank and help/criticism is welcome

Last edited by hvuong; 06-03-2009 at 04:48 AM. Reason: added pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 09:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (98/100%)
Interested in some rocks for ur 60p?

Eheim 2217 #346

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by niptek View Post
Interested in some rocks for ur 60p?
I think im going with manzanita for the 60-p but the 10gal next to it will be iwagumi style, can you pm me details of your rocks?

Planted the HC today and letting it grow emmersed for now and my plants should come in monday or tuesday

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	13142  

Last edited by hvuong; 04-21-2009 at 06:10 AM.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 02:10 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Most of the pics don't work

-Chris

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hmm... i can see the pictures on my computer so im not sure how to fix it for you. does anyone else see the pictures?

PS i received a package of plants from another person on the forum but they seem to have MTS on it and i dont want to introduce any hitchhikers into my tank and luckily the plants are still in another tank. how can i make sure no snails get into my tank, especially MTS.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (98/100%)
check sig for more info on rocks. I have two types ryouh stone (10lb) and ADG type (12lb leftover same type i used for my 60P).

Eheim 2217 #346

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So i just received my plants today. My filter seems to be too strong for the tank so ill have to drill more holes on the spray bar tomorrow. I hate planting HC, its so annoying trying to keep it in the gravel. The tank has a lot of bubbles on the glass and stuff right now so ill take pictures of it later tonight or tomorrow.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 01:48 AM
ER9
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
i can only see two pics....all the rest are red X's.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hopefully the pictures work now. i made some more holes onto the spray bar so its not too strong anymore. planted the tanks but the plants are not in its permanent position yet, probably going to get a rock for a focal point or a piece of wood and get more plants of course.

I ordered my drop checker but it wont be here for atleast another week, is it fine to turn the co2 up a little high right now or will i get an algae outbreak or something?

I used water purchased from the store (filtered, RO) will i need to add seachem equilibrium?

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 03:27 AM
ER9
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
my guess would be that it would be ok to up the co2 if there are no fish and back it down when you get the drop checker. it always amazes me that i think i'm overdoing the co2 but in reality it never seems i have it high enough.

i'm not sure about the equlibrium though.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think i added my plants in too soon because my tank hasnt finished cycling yet... Theres brown spots on the plants and my ammonia is really high, nitrite and nitrate are at 0 or close to 0. PH is around 6 if i remember correctly.

Not sure if youll be able to see it clearly because i used my phone to take the picture

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 03:45 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
You can crank the co2 as long as there is no wild life. However, I would be hesitant to do it too long simply for the fact you may run out of co2 faster, lol. Just add some filler plants if you are worried. I like to add fast growing stems when starting up a new tank to help speed up the cycling. I am going to love this tank, I can already tell.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update:

Still waiting for my tank to finish the cycling... I have 3 ottos and a shrimp in a container floating in the tank, i hope it survives by the time i can release it into the tank.

I bought some zebra rock impulsively and i might be regretting it now. probably will get some more to finish the hardscape

I ordered a blyxa aubertii and some anubias petite.

FTS

Whole shot of set up

Piping through the granite

The powerhouse
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
Nice setup. the plants should assist in the cycling process.

Patience is the name of the game.

|
|
|
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ugh... the cycling is taking a long time so i took a filter pad from another tank and placed it into a breeder thats floating in the tank... i hope if finishes soon

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode