Anmaera Pheon- 10 gallon (Now with Cories!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool Anmaera Pheon- 10 gallon (Now with Cories!)

Anmaera Pheon (pronounced ahn-May-ehra FEE-on) literally means Miniature Ocean. It comes from a language I am working on. Yes, I'm making an entire new language (though I doubt anyone other than me will ever use it..)

My 10-gallon had a past life that was absolutely terrible. It had obviously fake ornaments and a FAKE PLANT. I now wince even when typing those two words. Fauna was one black bullhead catfish named The Eliminator.

But here's a picture of the 10-gallon in the horrible past life:

It was also horribly dirty.

Then I moved the catfish into a 29 gallon tank and bought my first live plant, an anubius, and decided that I would have no more fake plants.

Then I found out about aquascaping. It blew my mind. So I spent the next three months contemplating, questioning, and absorbing as much knowledge as my brain would allow. Which brings me here.

I'm revitalizing the 10-gallon, making it a planted tank, and I can't wait to get started! But I know patience is key with aquascaping, so I'm not going to rush into it, rather, I'm going to bide my time and gradually add different elements necessary for a successful planted tank.

So, I've started. Here's where I stand:

Flora- One small Anubius

Fauna- None

Hardscape- two medium-sized white rocks and three small pieces clustered in a corner

CO2- none added yet (looking into DIY yeast method)

Filter- something ancient that I found to churn the water around just long enough so that I can buy a decent filter (going to Petsmart and the LFS tomorrow)

Lighting- One 60 watt lamp, turned on its side to shine across the whole aquarium (also going to buy a light fixture at either Petsmart or the LFS)

There's probably some important parameter I've forgotten...
Oh yeah, pH! I currently don't have a very accurate test kit, but it says my water is between 6.8 and 7.2, so it isn't that bad. (Again, going to buy a good test kit at the LFS or Petsmart)

So, without further ado, here it is! (there's not much to see, though)

IMG]http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv203/therealorangejuice/IMG_0403.jpg[/IMG]

The Germ-X is being used to show that I don't have a background yet. (When I do, I'm probably just going to get a plain black one)

View from front (filter makes a lot of bubbles)

View from the top (the things on the surface of the water are air bubbles, because I turned the filter off like two minutes before)

The small anubius and the small pile of rocks in the corner.

My pathetic Lighting system

Another pic of interest, a small shoot of what I presume to be an anubius piece that fell and grew roots, since it is the only aquatic plant I own at the moment, grew, and now it's about a half an inch tall.

As far as plans for the aquascape go, I'm going to get some riccia fluitans and tie it onto the rocks (except the small pile) and buy some glosso as a carpet. (yes, I know it needs high light and CO2, I'm not going to make the common newbie mistake of "Anything must be able to go into my tank!") Also, I'm going to have several larger plants towards the back. (Haven't decided what they'll be yet)

As far as fauna goes, I'll stick with some type of tetra as the main type, but I'm also getting some type of shrimp (either Amano or CRS) and probably a vietnamese algae eater (I think it was Vietnamese, might be wrong though)

Anyway, for those of you that read this entire thing (or even most of it)
Thank You.

Comments are appreciated.

May the plants always grow in your favor,

The Real Orange Juice, A.K.A. Robert Stevens

Last edited by therealorangejuice; 04-15-2009 at 02:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
One small step for therealorangejuice, one giant step for the planted tank world.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
More like

I like the "minimalism" though I can tell you put a decent amount of thought in to this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Psst, that means they like it.

Heads up, anubias are epiphytes like java ferns, the rhizome mustn't be buried as you have it now.

I think you may be thinking of a Siamese Algae Eater (SAE), I've never heard of a Vietnamese one.

As for a light fixture, definitely read up lighting before you buy anything. Going to the store without a plan is a wallet draining horror just waiting to happen. In the interim if you have a compact fluorescent bulb in your desk lamp you can make do.

Riccia and glosso will both survive/grow in lower light without CO2, just not as fast or in the case of glosso, not always horizontally. May I recommend Elatine tiandra as a nice carpet plant instead? I have it in my 10g shrimp tank, it grows very nicely under 20 watts of compact fluorescents.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Last edited by imeridian; 04-13-2009 at 07:09 AM. Reason: elaboration
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 02:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Are you planning on filling the entire tank with plants? I think it would actually be a pretty interesting look if you just left it lightly planted. Like, with small groups of plants spread everywhere with a good amount of space in between. Then a school of boraras brigittae

Does that make sense to anyone other than me? It would be a kind of... desert look.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 07:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)
I like your hardscape, but like others mentioned, that anubias rhizome shouldn't be buried, it should be tied to a rock instead.

Uhm, I don't think you need that pronounciation guide, btw.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Woah, lots of responses already!

And now the anubius has an above-ground rhizome.

@Imeridian- That's it, a Siamese algae eater, not a Vietnamese one! Couldn't think of the name. And I've been researching lighting recently (like for the past week and two days) I'm moving through the various subjects of aquascaping, one by one, though I have a basic knowledge of all of them. I'll research the carpet you suggested as well.

EDIT: Love it's look! Amazing. Forget glosso, this stuff's waaay cooler!

@danakin- Yeah, that picture is more like it. And the tank will not exactly be minimalistic when I'm done with it. It will have elements of both minimalistic and non-minimalistic style, and I'm hoping that they will blend together nicely.

@ Neoman- that does seem quite an interesting look. I'll jot it down in my notebook of possible future aquascapes/tank log. If used, I give credit where credit is due, and if I was to use that 'scape, I would put you as the inspiration behind it.

Many thanks,

Troj
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealorangejuice View Post
@Imeridian- That's it, a Siamese algae eater, not a Vietnamese one! Couldn't think of the name. And I've been researching lighting recently (like for the past week and two days) I'm moving through the various subjects of aquascaping, one by one, though I have a basic knowledge of all of them. I'll research the carpet you suggested as well.
Lol they grow too big for a 10 gallon

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Indeed, the phrase "bull in a china shop" comes to mind... even if the Mythbusters showed they were very careful animals, haha. SAEs, in my opinion, are only worthwhile additions -- even to bigger tanks -- if you have black beard/brush algae. They're really not all that amazing at eating any other algae, but are very proficient at eating fine leaved plants.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
|

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Okay then. Yeah, I never did any research on them, if I was ever going to put them in, it would be a long time from now. But apparently, I'll just not put them in it. I'll research other possible algae-eating fish.

And I went to the LFS today and bought a 2.5 gallon and I'm about to set it up. Guess I'll make another tank journal for it because I think it has a lot of possibility. And I like to be able to track the changes in my tanks over time. It's quite interesting. Maybe I'll just make this the combined tank journal of both the 10 gallon and the 2.5.

What do you guys think?

Combine them, or make a new one..
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 09:49 PM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Your scape is awesome. I like the sand, is it any kind in particular? I want some! I would do separate journals. It's easier in the long run.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Oh thank you! It's very far from complete at the moment, actually, but I figured I should start onte sooner rather than later, so that I could see the progress in the tank as it evolved.

As for the sand, it's from the Mississippi River! And it's like super-fertile. Plants love it.

And I'll make a new journal for the 2.5g then.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 02:11 AM
Planted Member

Very nice scape.
What kind of theme you trying to make for both tank?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to fuse elements of minimalism with what I call "maximalism", (having lots of plants and textures and really elaborate setups) so that it will hopefully come out good.

Same for the 2.5g, pretty much.

I'll start the tank journal for the 2.5 tomorrow in the Nano tanks section. I have all the equipment and such, I just have to set it up. And it's already 10:00 PM where I live, so I think I'll just wait until tomorrow to start it. (Yeah, I'm being lazy =P)
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Cories?!?!

Peppered Cories, to be exact.

One of them munching on the tiny bit of water mold on one of my rocks (glad I won't have to deal with that stuff anymore )

Both of them together! I think I'll name them Jack and Jill

Here's a close-up of Jill (apparently she likes to model for people)

They really loved that water mold...

And that's all for today. I'm probably going to end up with four cories, but I just wanted two for now. I would have only gotten one, but it would be lonely since they're schooling fish, so I got two. The one with four(ish) vertical bands on it's tail is Jack, the one with fewer than that (twoish) is Jill.

Oh, and I bought (and began dosing) ferts in my ten gallon and my 2.5g nano. I'm going to make it's tank journal right after I'm done with this post. Well, that's all today.

May the wind be always at your back,

TheRealOrangeJuice

Tags
aquascaping, begin, nano tank, start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode