The Story So Far... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The Story So Far...

Evening all,

just uploaded a video of my tank if anyone fancies a 7 minute chillout...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50eWGG2Msa4

It's my first planted tank, did a lot of research but still wasn't sure I got it right, everythings growing though.

Not sure what else should go in fish-wise, gonna have a think for a few weeks.

hope you enjoy it!

Last edited by braidsta; 04-11-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Nice tank! Love 'em with lots of rocks. How big is it?

I wouldn't add anymore fish, personally, looks like you have a serious community already. Only thing I would add is more Microsorum and Anubias species. That would be a great Rift Lake tank.

How bout some actual pictures?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ah thanks man, its 85gal mate. Its bigger than it seems in the video I'm well proud of it.

Used to be home to a load of mbunas but I took most of the rock out when I moved back home and rescued it.

I love watching it from above, cichlids especially have beautiful top profiles. There's a load of caves etc but no camera will ever get to them. Real shame my plec didn't come out he's a character. The corys are usually brave and kick up a right storm at feeding time!

I thought I had an anubia, but as I said I'm no pro... the LFS doesn't label them so I just picked out some nice ones that looked fairly tough.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Oh yeah, you have one, a few maybe if I recall. And some Microsorum (java fern) too. There's many different species of both, add more different species is what I meant. Check out the plant profile link up top. With all that hardscape and the number of large fish, they're ideal plants. Check out Bolbitis, also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

wicked mate cheers, love your angelfish btw never seen the like round here.
I think I might brave an online store, at least I know what I'll be getting.
They look like the kinda thing I was after when I went to buy plants in the first place. No LFS round here seem to bother with plants.

I'm having trouble with java moss, just turns brown and breaks down after a while. My T5 54W gives life to the moss balls at the bottom, as well as the shorter plants, the moss is on the mopani right near the top, plenty of light and it dies! not as hardy as I imagined.

Also, I've never had algae in my tanks - ever. I'm liking it in this one I wanted that green vibe. The top rocks though have tiny balled tufts of brown / blackish fluff - just checking is this algae? is it safe?

glad you enjyed the tank mate, never done a vid before.

My tank.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 05:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The tufts sound like black brush algae, which would imply too much light/ not enough CO2. Sometimes it grows in high flow areas no matter how much CO2 you have. Lowering light is usually more effective then, but I would try dosing Seachem Flourish Excel first. Spot treat the tufts daily with 10mL Excel in a med syringe, filters off for about ten minutes, repeat daily until it turns red or grey and wastes away, then change to regular daily doses to the water column, 10 to 15mL should do to maintain a good carbon source for plants and keep the algae at bay.

Excel works as a fert and an algacide, being that it contains gluteraldahyde. Don';t know if you can get the stuff there, I've heard of people using something called Easy Carbo which I believe is the same thing as far as carbon goes, but don't know if it contains gluteraldahyde or has any direct algacidal properties.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode