My First Attempt 55gal all the way from Barbados - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My First Attempt 55gal all the way from Barbados

Hey All,

Ok so here it is my first attempt at Planted tanks.

Specs:

tank: 55gal
C02: Pressurized 10lb cylinder with bubble counter and Power Head
Light: 4 ft Nova Extreme 1 bank running 2x54W (1 10k and 1 67k)
Substrate: Eco Complete Black
Filter: Aqua Clear 70
Heating: None our climate is tropical

Let me know what you think and of course pointers! And thanks for those who helped me!

ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3219.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	12992[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3214.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	12990  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3217.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	12991  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to organic sideburns
the wood and open space look great, im not a big fan on swords tho, but it all looks nice! 55's are hard to scape.

My 20 gallon long journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks at least i got one comment! lol anyways that wood actually goes from one corner to another im getting some serious BBA growing on it and on some plants right now any suggestions for that? I'm in the process of getting some dry ferts from a very helpful member of the forum. But thanks for your complement!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to organic sideburns
sry i know next to nothing about algae. but yea sometimes u get no comments, then all of a sudden ull get like 5 in a hour. i went a couple days b4 anyone commented in my tank journal hehe.

My 20 gallon long journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Nice growth!

I would remove the sword, it is out of place up front and there is surely not enough room for it in the back. Or perhaps carve out a spot for it in the Cabomba on the right (that is a nice bush there, I wouldn't even touch it other than a nice trim).

I'd also move the Myriophyllum (?) on the left behind the Ludwigia or whatever is behind the sword.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok at least im not the only one thats not so much in the know lol your tank looks great to by the way!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

BBA is a sure sign that the light/CO2 relationship is wrong, as in more light to CO2. Either lower wattage/ photoperiod, or increase CO2. Spot treating BBA with Flourish Excel while filters are off should kill it immediately (results after a few days), but won't fix the light/CO2 relationship.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
BBA is a sure sign that the light/CO2 relationship is wrong, as in more light to CO2. Either lower wattage/ photoperiod, or increase CO2. Spot treating BBA with Flourish Excel while filters are off should kill it immediately (results after a few days), but won't fix the light/CO2 relationship.

When you say spot treat can you explain that further? i run my lights for 6hrs i am getting a drop checker soon so i will have a better idea on the co2
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 02:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonno View Post
When you say spot treat can you explain that further?
Prepare a solution using :
25 mL of Excel in 500 mL ( 1:20 ) for the plants.
You can take the out the wood of the tank and spray it, leaving it for 30-45 minutes. I do that from time to time. Even increasing the CO2 BBA shows up on the wood, powerhead or the filters. Sometimes I spray pure Excel directly on the powerhead or filters and it starts to die !
hope that helps

"No se vive celebrando victorias, sino superando derrotas."
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Until your ferts and drop checker arrive if excel is available you can do a starter dose by label instructions and dose 15ml per day along with your CO2 as long as you keep up on your weekly water changes no harm no fowl. BBA will turn pink and start to die off after about 3 days you should see the color start to change. If you use a UV unit turn it off while using excel as it will break it down chemically. Swords due get big in a 55g tank but it makes a nice starter plant.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonno View Post
When you say spot treat can you explain that further?
Click

Turn the filter off and use that to squirt Excel onto BBA slowly (5 to 10mL). Move your arm slowly as well. Do this once daily, partial areas at a time if needed. Be careful not to add more than two or three times the recommended daily dosage (5mL per 50gl), certain plants can melt or livestock is affected.

Either that or pull the wood or plants out and treat them directly as pandapr stated. Keep in mind that some plants are said to melt from Excel overdose or direct contact.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 03:30 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Nice 55 scape! Looks like there is a lot of depth because of the wood. Is that Limnophila Sessiflora in there? Very healthy plant. I like your congo tetras. Want to get more people to look at your journal? I suggest not using thumbnails and actually posting the image into the journal. There are people like me that are too lazy to click on the thumbnail most of the time.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode