George of the Jungle - My five year old betta - RIP (56k) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
George of the Jungle - My five year old betta - RIP (56k)

To celebrate George’s 5 year old birthday, I decided to make him a special journal. My husband bought him for me after seeing him in so little water he had to lay sideways to stay under. The water was so dirty, the ammonia levels were off the charts.

I put him in a gallon bowl and he looked so happy swimming around in that giant bowl. I thought all was right in the world until he started getting bigger and looked bored swimming in circles all day long.

So I bought him a 5 gallon critter keeper and a plastic plant. He was George of the Jungle. Hence, the name George was coined. A little later, I added some java moss and he loved it so much, he would flare at me “protecting” his treasure.

And then I found TPT and information on bettas. I snooped for days and found Karackle’s 5 gallon tank for her betta. He had a filter, bubbles and a heater! Wow, I wanted that for George.

So I dug my 10 gallon out of the attic and filled it with water and fluorite. I waited for leaks. After all was well and the dust settled, I put George in his new home. He has went from an occasional joker to a full time jester. I cleaned up his tank and organized it a bit this past week and am including some photos of the progression. I’ll warn you, I was really bad a pictures in the beginning.....middle.....and end.

Happy Birthday George!

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sewingalot; 11-23-2009 at 08:38 PM. Reason: removed broken photo links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Happy birthday George!

I have one that was left abandoned in the hallway of an apartment building in a tiny bowl.
For a while I had him in with my guppies, until he learned to hunt and got too good at it. Now he has his own 10 gallon. Still gets an occasional extra guppy here and there for a treat.

I didn't think they were that long lived? How long do they live?
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
Long live George!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
happy birthday george!

well done! I've heard of bettas living to 8 years old looks like george is headed in that direction

cheers-K
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
just out of curiousity- is Jesus in the critter keeper with George?
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltonorr View Post
Long live George!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle3 View Post
happy birthday george!

Thanks Coltonorr! He's such a ham.

well done! I've heard of bettas living to 8 years old looks like george is headed in that direction

cheers-K
With any luck, he will. I love him so much. He was really sick a few months ago. I think it was him getting used to going from a non-temperature controlled bowl to a filtered, heated tn gallon. He is my favorite fish of all time. Don't tell the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle3 View Post
just out of curiousity- is Jesus in the critter keeper with George?
Lol, it does look like that. No, Jesus was behind George. It was a gift from a really sweet lady from our church to watch over our pets (and us).

post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 10:49 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
So far Jesus is doing a fine job with George!

post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Happy Birthday George!

Heehee I'm so glad my tank was so inspirational for you! That's wonderful, and that's what this forum and hobby are all about, helping each other find new ideas to keep our fish and plants happy and healthy! He looks so happy in his huge 10g home! He has such a lush garden to swim through, I love it!

Those last two pictures of him are great! I love when they pose for the camera And I LOVE the picture of him in front of the plastic plant (your old avatar), I know it's plastic, but the way his colors show up against the plant, he matches it and it's just a really cool composition! For a long time I didn't even realize your avatar was a fish, i thought it was just a really cool swirl of pretty colors!

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Coltonorr - I think so, too.

Snap, "Karackle," Pop - George is such a ham. He loves his picture taken. My last avatar picture is one of my favorites of George. He is a handsome man, ain't he? (Asks the proud mom with a warning in her eye not to disagree - lol.) I must admit, the silk plants are a lot better than the older plastic ones. Especially if you soak them in hot water first.

Last edited by sewingalot; 11-23-2009 at 08:40 PM. Reason: removed broken photo link
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Bettas seem to know they're getting their pictures taken don't they? heehee, such hams! And yes, he's a VERY handsome man!

I definitely have to agree on the silk plants, I use them in my QT tanks a lot so the fishies have soft leaves to hide in, but i don't have to worry about the plants dying and fouling the water, they are certainly a VAST improvement from plastic.

And it's extra cool when they match your betta!

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #11 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 03:50 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What a beautiful fish!

It might just be the pictures, but he seems to have changed colour with age.

5 years is amazing though, you've done a really great job with him.

The tank is lovely too
post #12 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matticusfinch92 View Post
What a beautiful fish!

It might just be the pictures, but he seems to have changed colour with age.

5 years is amazing though, you've done a really great job with him.

The tank is lovely too
Thank you. He looks just like his mother, me! Haha. Yeah, I am impressed that he is five years old and still kicking. He has to rest a lot more than he used to and is blind in one eye, but he still has a lot of spunk.

They do change colors with age. He lost a lot of his iridescence and his red actually became a much bright shade. Another interesting note is his fins have grown quite a bit over the years. He is a double-veil tail. I'll try to get a picture of him flaring to show you his pretty tail feather shake, lol!

post #13 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 05:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Good job getting a proper sized tank!

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #14 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via AIM to suebe333
awwwww, what a sweet story

45G long - Planted- Guppies,cory's,Panda Gara
20G high -brigs,Gouramis,cory's

-
planted;RCS, albino cory's,& albino bushynose plecos
post #15 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooTycoonMaster View Post
Good job getting a proper sized tank!
Quote:
Originally Posted by suebe333 View Post
awwwww, what a sweet story
Thanks you guys. I took some pictures of our "play time." Check it out. Some of the pictures will have a little glare from the mirror.

Once again, another fight one. George has yet to loose a fight with this other "fish." You can see the other guy retreating on the left (the mirror).

I really think keeping George active has really helped him stay young and active at heart. He actually looks forward to the mirror game.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode