75g High Techs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
75g High Techs

What are the odds? Two sets spawned and looks like a third paired in the same 75 gallon tank. SAME DAY!

This one and one in house born marble egged this sword leaf today.

The gold veils have spawned on the kliener bar in the right front.

The little male marble keeps bluff charging the gold pair.

There will be war and NO peace I'm sure for the next 72 hrs. (at least)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wkndracer; 07-25-2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: trying to get it right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm very excited and amazed that this happened in one day that's just crazy!

There are 7 adult angels in the tank with 2 sets spawned and a third pair acting like their getting ready too. That makes for extremely territorial and aggressive fish right now. The third set is staying toward the back and the odd man out has nowhere to go. Everybody is pushing against everybody else and I don't think any of the fish ate tonight.

I'm ashamed to say I didn't know it occurred until feeding tonight. My attention was on my quarantine tank and low tech 55 gallon most of the day and family doings.

2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Did you buy the veils as a pair? Im curious as to how angels pair. Do they typically choose a mate that looks like them (same variety/color)?

Btw - Congrats. But be careful with all that aggression. Those are big fish, even in a 75 gallon, and remember they ARE cichlids.

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyNYC View Post
Did you buy the veils as a pair? Im curious as to how angels pair. Do they typically choose a mate that looks like them (same variety/color)?

Btw - Congrats. But be careful with all that aggression. Those are big fish, even in a 75 gallon, and remember they ARE cichlids.
They pair by choice and will swap mates if you move them from tank to tank changing their options. Once a spawn occurs and you ID M/F you can separate them to a 29g or larger tank and they will spawn, in mixed company their choice. All my fish were purchased at nickle to quarter size based on form at the time. The golds are two remaining after culling the third from the original purchase. Two LFS while not carrying any fish of desirable quality to me are quite happy to except my culls. While not the king 'Discus' are referred to as Angels have always been my favorite species.

post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 02:11 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Yikes!

You don't have any tanks to divide them up? I think once the fry hatch you may have some serious issues...

Had you just done a water change or fed live or frozen food? That's always what triggers my GBRs...

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Yikes!

You don't have any tanks to divide them up? I think once the fry hatch you may have some serious issues...

Had you just done a water change or fed live or frozen food? That's always what triggers my GBRs...
Water changes are Sunday afternoon. No food changes either. I just think it was good conditions and time, their all about the same age. Its been an interesting 24 hrs now that we've seen whats going on that's for sure. Once we get our DD Veil cleared up so the smaller tank is empty I'll be in better shape for nature to do its thing. When we have wigglers we can use a fry basket for two weeks and isolate that way. We currently have two fish quarantined which fill our spare tank. 29g starter sets are cheap so there's always that route.

post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Last of the last

Lights up at 1430 and the last of the eggs are off the leaf. I think it was more of an adhesion issue as apposed to a caviar dinning event There were decreasing numbers each day on the leaves. On a couple of positive notes there were only 3 white eggs on one batch so all should have been fertile and we've positively identified two females and two males.

post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Wow so all of the eggs were eaten out of all 3 spawns?

How long have you been breeding angels?

post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hi lauraleellbp,
2 spawns and a pair displaying behavior is what we had posted about. We were surprised that it all happened at once.
These fish are young and it was the first spawn for both pairs. Being housed in community display tank with a full compliment of tank mates we really expected something to happen. To spawn a pair and raise fry we separate the breeders to an open tank. Our current set ups include the two living room displays and a 55g with four angels in the home office. Had this happened in the 55g there's enough room stocked as it is for the hatch to have a good chance. We weren't setting this up it just happened. We have established relationships with three LFS so we have an outlet for the fish. The breeding is just an offshoot of good conditions and healthy fish.

Does help me add tanks though as my wife helps me shop when her maternal instincts kick in.

post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Nice that your wife is supportive of your hobby. Nice also that you've established good relationships with your LFS to help distribute the fry.

Will you separate out the pairs now, are will you wait a while?

post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Nice that your wife is supportive of your hobby. Nice also that you've established good relationships with your LFS to help distribute the fry.

Will you separate out the pairs now, are will you wait a while?
We're currently looking at Craig's List and sent inquiries out on five listings,
3 - 110 gallon, 1 - 125 gallon, AND one 275 gallon!!!! We have a very large kitchen and it will receive the new tank. Amazing what fish eggs do to a women There will always be approx. 6 angels in our living room 75g tanks but the golds for sure will be placed to allow breeding. The other type I'm wanting to produce are double dark super veils. This I fully intend to be our last tank addition. (LMAO)

post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

275 Gal. Aquarium $500
This Aquarium is 6 long, 3 tall and 2 wide. My son can snorkel in it to do the maintenance if we end up with this one!

post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

LOL

Nice steal!

What part of Hernando are you in?

post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
LOL

Nice steal!

What part of Hernando are you in?
The town of (There's nothing really here) North of Inverness, Citrus County

post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

I grew up in Tampa and went to High School in G'ville, so I've been through there quite a bit. Pretty area.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode