super tiger shrimp - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (158/99%)
super tiger shrimp

super tiger shrimp.... what makes them super.... i dont know but i think they look better the normal tigers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via AIM to suebe333
Wow , those are super !!

45G long - Planted- Guppies,cory's,Panda Gara
20G high -brigs,Gouramis,cory's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
planted;RCS, albino cory's,& albino bushynose plecos
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I don't have any but I have read that they get up to 50% larger than normal tigers. Can anyone verify this?

75 gallon Journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

mine are still small.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Now i want some of these. They are so cool
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)
I believe they get a bit larger than normal Tigers and they have broader stripes with white linings. You've got yourself some nice stock there. Are they wild?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 04:37 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (32/100%)
That's awesome.
I want super cherry shrimps too! Bigger than 2 inches!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 07:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
I honestly don't know how the whole "Super Tiger Shrimp" fad caught on, but super tigers are just regular tigers that popped out strong stripes. If you get a good stock of tigers, you'll most likely find yourself with "super tigers". I have bought tiger shrimp from someone in this forum last year labeled as tiger shrimp. Those shrimp have bred for me and popped out various types of tigers. From teal to regular colored ones, as well as nicely defined stripes such as the picture above. I guess people would call those "super tigers". In any case, super tigers was just a name given to ordinary tigers to get better sales. These white stripes come and go in each set of babies. Some have it, some don't.

And to answer the question of whether or not they get bigger than tiger shrimp... The answer is no, they don't. As I stated before, they're just regular tigers who got the white stripe gene. That's all.
I don't think the white stripe breeds consistently though, if you pair up a white stripe + white stripe. Maybe the chances of getting a similar look is higher but you'll still get regular tigers out of them.

I've seen some tigers with good black stripes on them, nice and thick. Others have very thin ones and faint. I'm not sure what triggers this difference. Nonetheless, they're all the same. Mix em all up to create better genetics I guess.

It's not like the CRS grading system.

Shrimp Keeper
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

yea i dont must much stock into any of the names. i dont get caught up in crs grades or some of the super red cherry shrimp lol i got them as tiger shrimp and saw they were different then the others i have had so i started to look info on them.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebichua View Post
I honestly don't know how the whole "Super Tiger Shrimp" fad caught on, but super tigers are just regular tigers that popped out strong stripes. If you get a good stock of tigers, you'll most likely find yourself with "super tigers". I have bought tiger shrimp from someone in this forum last year labeled as tiger shrimp. Those shrimp have bred for me and popped out various types of tigers. From teal to regular colored ones, as well as nicely defined stripes such as the picture above. I guess people would call those "super tigers". In any case, super tigers was just a name given to ordinary tigers to get better sales. These white stripes come and go in each set of babies. Some have it, some don't.

And to answer the question of whether or not they get bigger than tiger shrimp... The answer is no, they don't. As I stated before, they're just regular tigers who got the white stripe gene. That's all.
I don't think the white stripe breeds consistently though, if you pair up a white stripe + white stripe. Maybe the chances of getting a similar look is higher but you'll still get regular tigers out of them.

I've seen some tigers with good black stripes on them, nice and thick. Others have very thin ones and faint. I'm not sure what triggers this difference. Nonetheless, they're all the same. Mix em all up to create better genetics I guess.

totally agree-this whole "super tiger" thing is kind of decieving consider that they are just good looking tigers. Making a new name for a nice specimen? Seems to me that people should just try to improve the avrage stock instead of trying to make a new class.

No offense meant to the OP-it is not like they falsified information themselves, or meant to spread iffy info

This whole issue just kind of bugs me. Especially because the "original" super tiger shrimp that caused the name to be created was most likey a cross between a CBS and a tiger, now nice tigers are being called this.

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebichua View Post

actually super tiger is double the size of a tiger shrimp
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 08:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotconnect View Post

Double the size of regular tigers??? Is this true? Could anyone please verify this or have seen this personally? I'll have some supers tigers in a few days. Can't wait

Knowledge is power. Sharing knowledge is....freedom
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
i think they have a utility belt also

neat shrimp.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotconnect View Post
This is not true. I don't know where you got this info from.

Quote:
Double the size of regular tigers??? Is this true? Could anyone please verify this or have seen this personally? I'll have some supers tigers in a few days. Can't wait
Misinformation. Read my first post in this thread.

I'm not trying to bash Mgamer's sales or anything, haha! Sorry if it seems that way, I just want to inform people about this misconception of super tigers being a whole new level. It's not. They just look better but in terms of its stability in reproduction, it is still quite random. You can buy a pair of "regular" tigers and get supers out of them. Anyone who has kept tiger shrimp before (or still is, like me) and/or are breeding them can verify this.

Still, those white lines are certainly nice. The first and probably the most popular super tiger shrimp picture is more than likely a hybrid between a black crystal and a tiger shrimp. It was a giveaway when there was a black crystal in that picture. The coloration was also a bit too much as well, to have been a pure breed tiger. True tigers with the white stripes can be seen above in the OP's images.

Shrimp Keeper
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Everyone is missing the main characteristic. Look closely at the small reflection. See the S on the chest.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode