Crypts and rocks - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Crypts and rocks

Some preface. Planted aquariums have been in my home on and off for the past eight years. None have ever been at the level of many of the better aquascapers but overall they have been relatively algae free with decent growth. More recently my workplace has setup tanks and created aquarium related products because of the owners interest in the area. We have 5*2*2 and 3ft tall planted as well as a 4*2*2 marine setup in the office.

My home has been tank free for well over three years at this point (the aquariums at work were spawned by my desk cube setup) but looking after the ones in the office have left me wanting more at home.

The idea of a lower maintenance tank is appealing. Without the hassles of CO2 or frequent dosing, which are already present at work. Also due to space restrictions in my current living arrangement I am attempting do this unfiltered. Plant wise this rules out things that need frequent trimming which is less of a concern on low tech but something to keep in mind.

If forced to select a tank that has inspired me in the past several years it would be Toms Bucket of Mud. The low maintenance and aesthetics are awesome.

Setup
50*40*35 Custom low iron glass aquarium. From MS Aquariums for those in Sydney. Competitive prices and they will build custom tanks.

Ikea Besta Stand. This is a temporary solution as I am planning to move in the next 12-18 months so should be sufficient until something more suitable is sorted.

Initially water circulation was to be provided by a singlhttp://www.amazon.com/Tunze-USA-5024-040-Compact-Water/dp/B00H6YVWZ0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428044798&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Universal+pump+Mini+5024.04.

Then decided that 300L/h was not enough so ordered a pair of [Ebay Link Removed] 12v pumps[/URL] off [Ebay Link Removed] One of these was given a DIY spraybar using acrylic tubing.

A few days after setup the main downside of these pumps was discovered. The intake on the base is directly below the impeller and small fish cannot escape if they swim close. The Tunze on the other hand has grille inlet all over the bottom except below the impeller, expanding the intake area significantly.

So the tank ended up having the Tunze and one of the ebay pumps with a pad of foam installed underneath it.

Lighting

Lighting is provided by a Licah CitiiAqua LDP-500 dimmable fixture. This was a bit of a gamble as there are few reviews of this brand. Because the tank is quite small penetration is not a problem, however deeper tanks may have issues with the 0.5w LEDs on this unit. Blue and red mix was opted for (customisable by contacting the seller prior to purchase) but the default setup has too much red, giving the tank a hideous pink hue. In hindsight two rows should have been replaced with whites - instead masking tape was used to black out the offending rows.

Dimming is provided by an extra additional controller unit and the setup will be more than enough at 50% power for how the tank is intended to run. The overall build quality is decent for the price and if anyone is interested in a more indepth write up please leave a post or PM me.

Substrate is 3mm sand. Originally a compost layer was going to be added but without a filter and having never used similar before it was dropped and osmocote and root tabs added in its place. The two main rocks (purported to be ying shi) are positioned using triangular slabs of hard foam.

Plants
Cryptocoryne parva
Cryptocoryne petchie
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Lilaeopsis brisbanica
Echinodorus “Nile Queen”

But the bulk of the plants are an unknown type of crypt that is my favorite. They are regularly available from my LFS. Will post up some pictures for ID when they have grown in.

Currently the entire water surface is covered with some sort of floating plant from my garden pond.

Four spotted blue eyes are the tanks inhabitants currently.

Here is a fts and rock detail a week after setup. The floating layer has been removed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 02:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
very nice little tank! I like the rock formation

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looks great except for that uglly spray bar.
FWIW it is not needed
I took them off all of my tanks ( much larger 55,75 40 etc)

Regards,
Aquaticz

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Mid June

Late August

|
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 12:15 AM
Planted Member

Oh this is amazing! It's basically exactly the tank I want to build for my bed room! I take it youre from oz?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 12:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

Aww, it is looking really good. Amazing how a couple of months makes a difference once the plants start to grow well.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
looks super good grown in! Great job

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 05:23 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Love the scape. Looks really good, I enjoy the sand and the centered position of rock and plants.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie1001 View Post
I take it youre from oz?
Yeah.

Some more musings.

My intention for unfiltered was two fold. Firstly I did not have space where the tank was to be setup. Secondly I wanted a clean, low clutter tank. Initially there was going to be a single powerhead. Lastly I did not want to maintain a filter, but this was not a huge driver in my choice to go this route.

Then a second powerhead was added.

Then a heater was added as it was obviously going to be too cold over winter.

Then a surface skimmer because of excessive surface scum + rust + cat hair looking revolting.

So the final outcome ended up being more cluttered than what I initially planned. I guess it runs fine without a filter (and fairly light stocking) but I did not achieve what I set out to do.

If I had to do over I would probably look at a small reef wave maker.

Overall very happy with the amount of maintenance required.

|
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 01:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

Ha ha, that's one of my favorite scenes, a snail surface skimming!

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Slow going. From December. Been growing microherbs. Very few fish left, the majority jumped on a 40+ degree day.

|

Last edited by drink; 01-14-2016 at 10:11 PM. Reason: update img url
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 06:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Saw this beautiful tank when I was going through the Low-tech show and tell a few weeks back! Splendid job and looks to be a super slow growing, but simple tank. Definitely looks great - I love it.

||
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Been a while. Tank was neglected but still stayed relatively clean outside of dirty rocks.

Moved and replanted a few weeks ago. Some old, some new.

kyle3, kyle3, Tyrone and 3 others like this.

|
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 04:23 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I love the simplicity, yet with so much depth that you have achieved with this scape. Keep it up!

Eheim Pimp #520
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_EHBNG8v08

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode