30 gal brand new - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
30 gal brand new

Today I received two plant shipments (F. fontanus and Willow moss) and decided that since my driftwood had soaked enough that I would set up the tank I've been waiting to set up for about a month now.

After some deliberation, mainly with paint, and my lacking 'artistic' skills I went with a dungle river layout, and I am looking to complete the layout as a split-in-the-middle layout. The substrate (eco complete black) is divided by desert sand in the middle, which divides like a river splitting. ( below I added a basic paint scheme to depict the layout.) I lined the "river edges" with small pebbles and added bigger stones into the middle to depict boulders. My driftwood serves as a bridge across the river and is resting on a stone base on one side and on another piece of driftwood on the other side. The Willow moss is hanging off the large driftwood's "fingers" and I will snake a bunch of anubias petite up one of the fingers to represent a climbing vine plant. The 'river' will divide two areas of heavy planting, the right and left back corners.

I tied the Fissidens and willow moss down, and added some crypt wendtii 'bronze'. In the middle of the river divide I thought of putting a Tiger Lotus. Although I think the picture will speak for itself.

Specs:

Light: T5 HO 24W
Substrate: Eco complete black
Filter: HOB
CO2: soon to come

If anyone has any suggestions for plants, I'm all ears. I wanted to divide longer stem plants into each back corner (bushy growth) and then smaller ones (HC and others) in the front. Around the stones and the smaller root, I wanted to plant something like. E. tenellus or B. japonica.

Let me know what you guys are thinking. I am very open to suggestions and would like to hear some input to make the tank as good-looking as possible.

Last edited by Hobbes1911; 01-24-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (98/100%)
looking for hc? i have some forsale.

Eheim 2217 #346

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Time for an update. Today, after I noticed that my moss seems to be suffering, I bought some Anubias nana to act as shade above the moss. I have also hung the light from the ceiling to eliminate any adverse effect increased temperature might have on the moss, due to the light being too close.

I also added a close-up picture of my F. fontanus and I planted some H. difformis in the back.

Last edited by Hobbes1911; 01-24-2011 at 12:56 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I just realized how much my f. fontanus has filled in.
And how lazy I am.

Last edited by Hobbes1911; 01-24-2011 at 12:55 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

constant work in progress this is. THe bag had shrimp in it. Obviously there are also much more plants. ANd I am still in the process of acquiring pressurized CO2. I have the set up only the cylinder is missing. Plus my attention has sort of shifted to my other 5 tanks which breed shrimp and darters and one is cycling right now.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 04:26 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)
What kind of fish do you have in there?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

desert goby, blue lampeye, zebra danios, gold rams, sterbai cory, otos, cory hastatus..... amano shrimp and rcs.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode