Starfire 50 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Starfire 50

Well it is finally here. It has been a long process, I originally ordered an ADA set up through the only Canadian dealer(RIP) but it fell through and got this one made by a local aquarium store. I think the builder did a solid job on the stand and the starfire glass looks great. It has taken me almost 8 months to accumulate the equipment for this set up as it was very costly but i wanted to get it right the first time (so I thought).

The dimensions are 36*18*18, 50 gallon.
Tek lighting T5 HO, 4*39 watts.
5lb CO2 diffused with a DIY PVC inline.
Calaqua Lab Lilly pipes and drop checker.
ADA Amazonia Soil and Power Sand.
Inline 200 watt hydor heater.
Eheim classic 2215

Right now Have Flow issues:
I've hooked up the plumbing for a test run and yuk. The flow rate of the 2215 was sub par hooked up alone and now with everything inline, its cut in half. So what do i do????

- Put a pump inline after the cansiter

- Get a larger filter 2217, but i can already tell that flow rate will still be low for the entire tank, and the lilly pipes are for 1/2 inch both ways and 2217 has 5/8 on intake yuk.

-ditch the reactor for a glass diffuser and add a power head in the tank for flow(last last resort, as i bought all that glass to hide equipment)

I'm feeling discouraged by these issues. I want to get started on the scape.
Any insight on the flow related issues would be great
Devon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bought conduit at Home Depot and a nice guy in the rental department helped me bend it for free.

Here is how i'm hanging the lights. They are aluminum sleeves, hope they hold??? Seem to be strong enough.

Here is my DIY reactor. At a plumbing store they drilled that air valve into the top for me.

And this is my plumbing, mabe i'm doing something wrong. I was thinking an extra pump between the reactor and the heater?

post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 05:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Looking good so far

-O

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 06:18 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
I dont think the single 2217 (264gph) is gonna cut for you either. I have a Ehiem 2026 (250gph) on my 40 breeder which is about the same dimensions as your tank just a little shorter and the flow is not sufficient. I have a duetto 100 placed above my diffusor for extra flow, then again I dont have the beautiful tank you do and its behind my jungle of plants.

Personally I would get an additional filter and run the heater on one and the reactor on the other. Thats my next investment on my tank.

Are you gonna set up a Iwagumi style scape? The tank looks awesome, hope to see it set up soon.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

With iwagumi i would doubt he would need much flow though ... because the top is relatively clear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 08:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Getting flow right in an 18 inch deep tank can be a real pain.
Have you thought about running a magdrive fractioning pump for the CO2?
You can run it either inline with the canister, or with it's own input and output.

At any rate, you are definitely doing it right the first time! The set up looks great, what are your plans for the 'scape?

post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
With iwagumi i would doubt he would need much flow though ... because the top is relatively clear.
Somewhat true but I don't see any mention of an iwagumi style scape.

I would consider Minsc' suggestion of maybe trying a fractioning/needlewheel pump for the co2.

Beautiful set up btw.

post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
This is a beautiful setup.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am going to make an iwagumi type scape to look like the rocky mountains. Hair grass for fields, HC for leafy trees and flame moss for evergreens, riccia would look awesome too but i've experimented with it and tying it down/the way it grows out etc will be too high maintenance and not permanent. Other suggestions would be great but those are the best plants i can think of so far. I made little clay models for scale when i was really bored (I also made 2 5 gallon scapes while waiting for this tank) to give an idea of the scale of plants and rock. There is also a member on another forum named Octopus who has some pretty incredible ideas, he uses some sort of crystal to replicate water streams within a tank and i've thought about doing that between the mountians.
I want to put a school of 30-40 greenfire tetra. I've never seen a tetra school as well as these guys, i also like the diversity between males and females and the different colors depending on age and breeding.

So the plan right now is to sort out this flow issue, wait for the snow to melt so i can go to a rock quarry and pick some out. Then order flame moss on the internet, i have the rest. I wish i had easier access to manten stone or seiryu but ordering from the states would be tooo much. I still can't believe i spent hundreds on substrate.

As for the needle wheel to bump flow. I was reading posts about it last night and am still a bit unsure. I would like to hook it up inline. Could you guys suggest a pump size or type. From what i read danner sounds like it could be good, but i heard it is a bit loud?
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you see any nice rocks, give me a heads up!
And looks like you were really bored with that clay model.
So out of curiousity, how many tanks do you have still running ?

EDIT: Also you still have that 2232 ? might as well put that on the other side .

||

Last edited by Kayen; 03-22-2009 at 04:23 AM.
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
just get another 2215 or even a 2213 and run them on different sides of the tank. you'll be gravy...
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 06:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
Wow this is looking gooooood
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the flow advice. Ideally i would like to run another filter but that would mean more tubes, lily pipes etc in the tank and i want to try to avoid that. It would also be the most expensive route.
So i'm going to try to put an external pump between the reactor and heater of similar or a bit higher flow rating then the canister. So between 200 and 300 GPH, and try to get it used and cheap since its kind of an experiment.
If that is not a success, I will ditch the reactor and buy a diffuser: Rhinox or Cal aqua lab (anyone have a preference) and see if i can live with the flow for now.
Thanks for the advice, it helps
Devon
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 04:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi. I'm just wondering what you are using for filter inlet/outlet. They seem to be metal to me...
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
I would think a pump inline would do the trick. rinox is ok for a diffuser, cal aqua is bad ass, but also pricey and will reduce flow(but less than the reactor and like I said it just looks so cool).

I have the same size tank and have one 2213 and a tom rapids until I can get another one...I think having two outlets is a MUCH better idea and more even flow...but that's just me...

I would dish out the extra dough for another filter and set of pipes. Its like owning land...you always have some equity in case of another stock crash... i.e. you could always sell the filter and pipes later...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode