Gwen's 38 gallon Grows Up - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Gwen's 38 gallon Grows Up

Hi all,

I've had planted aquariums since I was 10, though I just got into trying to actually grow plants in the last few years, and this is my first real attempt at an aquascape.

Specs:
38 Gallons
120 watts flourescent
flourite and flourite black
Rena XP1
pressurized CO2
dosing EI minus the GH booster because I have really hard water.

Fish:
2 Clown Loaches
4 Otos
Planned: a school of emerald eye rasboras. I got 11 but they started dying so the remaining 4 are being treated in QT and I'm debating over whether I should get more or return them and get something else.

Plants:
anubias nana
Java fern
crypt wendtii
Rotala of undetermined type
Red plant sold to my boyfriend as "scarlet temple", I'm not sure what it is but it may be ludwigia glandulosa...?
Hygro 'compact'
Hygro 'angustifolia'
Utricularia Graminifolia

I just got the last of the plants I ordered yesterday and didn't have much time to plant them so I put them approximately where I wanted them. Thus they still need tweaking, but here's the tank as it is now:

Excuse the window glare and the dental floss holding the plants to the wood, they aren't quite rooted yet.

Comments, suggestions, and criticism are welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
Glad to see the UG I sent you going to good use. It will look great once it fills in. I think the scarlet temple is Alternanthera reineckii. The Hygro 'angustifolia' will likely be too large for your tank. I had some in my 75 gal and it grew so much that it started blocking light to the plants below. I caught it in time and was able to trim it back to save the plants under it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I like how you have the plants and driftwood laid out. I really like the driftwood piece on the left. From what I can tell, it is going to look great when it grows out.
Now if only I can figure out what to do with my tank...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
OOO....it'll be real cool lookin when that UG starts to spread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 01:51 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
This is going to be awesome once it starts to grow in!

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah925 View Post
Glad to see the UG I sent you going to good use. It will look great once it fills in. I think the scarlet temple is Alternanthera reineckii. The Hygro 'angustifolia' will likely be too large for your tank. I had some in my 75 gal and it grew so much that it started blocking light to the plants below. I caught it in time and was able to trim it back to save the plants under it.
I'm loving the UG.
Thanks for the ID, after looking up Alternanthera reineckii I believe you're right. And I've had trouble in the past getting things to grow all the way to the top of that tank and thrive, so I hope the angustifolia gets there. It may get annoying after a while, but it will be very exciting at first.

After some rearranging and tidying:
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

We have regression.

The Hygro 'angustifolia' was damaged when it got here, though I thought it would fare better than it has. Most of it has rotted away, but what has survived has new growth at least.

And the ottos are not keeping up with the diatoms.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I pretty much forgot about this journal, but I think it's about time to update.

This tank has gone through a lot of changes in the last several months.
My loaches hated the UG (or loved digging it up) so sadly that didn't make it, but I'm having lots of success with HC.
A few weeks ago I added some didiplis diandra which was a beautiful red-orange when I got it but all it's new growth is quite green. I'm hoping it will red up a bit as it grows closer to the lights.
Ludwigia only ever likes me until I trim it, so I think the one remaining sad piece of it on the right will be going away soon.

I added a school of 13 golden tetras, but they're so fast they don't really show up in photos.

I'm battling a bit of BBA on my driftwood and anubias, but i'm not real worried about that, it's getting better. However, right before the picture below was taken I did a blackout because BGA was starting to take hold, so some of the plants look a bit leggy and sparse.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Very nice tank. The way you have the driftwood set up, almost looks like what alot of people do with rocks for the wigwami (or how ever it is spelt) set ups. I likey.

Back ground is a bit stark... but I know how hard it is to put in background plants on a 38 (my tank size as well) without losing a look of depth.

The golden ratio might help the tank as well.

Keep it up! I will certainly be waiting for the next update.

----------The Tank---------------------------The Car--------------------------The Life-----------
Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
Tank is looking really nice...Looking forward to seeing it fill in more!

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update. It's almost time for another trim already.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
you should consider adding some red plants in there for contrast... nice plants tho

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode