Immortal1 75g journey (Pics from Seattle) - Page 50 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1568Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #736 of 779 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Not so much that I am concerned with the ppm value of these 2 samples - as I am concerned with the right hand tube being darker than the left hand tube.
Left is NO3 in tap water. Right is NO3 in 75g tank water. Bearing in mind I front end loaded the tank with 10ppm NO3 after a water change last Wednesday. My daughter was given a weekly pill box with a set amount of fish food for each day so as not to over feed like I typically do. And here we are, 7 days later and I still have what I would call "plenty" of NO3. Maybe I am getting the hang of things...

And, before I break out the weed wacker....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #737 of 779 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do you always have the much NO3 in the tap or is it something to do with the floods and runoff?
Greggz likes this.

|

post #738 of 779 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
Do you always have the much NO3 in the tap or is it something to do with the floods and runoff?
Actually, using the API NO3 test my tap typically does test out with some orange. Usually a light orange.
As for the floods - my first thought would be the NO3 should be lower with the floods. But it really does not look much different from what I have tested before.
Going to test TDS, GH & KH of tap here in a little bit just to see those numbers are going back up yet.

post #739 of 779 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
A few take aways from this evening...
Vin Kutty (Speaker)
Roy Slettevold (Seattle_Aquarst)
Cara Wade (Speaker)
Jason Lu (Minnesota Planted Tank Aquatics)
Looks like it was a lot of fun! I almost decided to go, just couldn't fit it into the schedule. I'm so envious!
Immortal1 likes this.

post #740 of 779 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Good morning on this rainy Memorial Day. Has been a lot of busy weekends away from the tanks this month so I was very happy to be able to spend some quality time trimming and re-arranging things in both tanks. Some curiosities to consider before seeing the pics;
With the KH now hovering around the 2dKH mark (used to be 7-8dKH) I have noticed that my 1 to 1.2 ph range has definitely shifted down from where it used to be. Yesterday I noted 5.8ph on the controller and the fish were all just fine - kinda odd seeing as there was a time when 6.2ph would result in almost all fish gasping at the surface.
And the other thing of note yesterday - after the water change (finally did my first Sunday water change this month! fwi, Sunday is the "normal" water change day) I tested the NO3 and PO4 levels in my 75g. Oddly enough to me, the NO3 level was still in the lighter red range (i.e. 20ish to 40ish?) and the PO4 level was closer to 5 than 2. So, I once again made an adjustment to the fert levels. Now granted, I am putting a lot more emphasis on how the plants look vs the marginal API test readings. But, the API readings should atleast tell me when the tank water is the same level as the tap water.
Anyway, as shocking as it may seem, this weeks Weekly dosing will be 4ppm NO3, 3ppm PO4 and a total of 13ppm K. Will probably have to stay at this level for a few weeks to see if anybody gets a little grumpy. I did notice the Pogo Kimberly had stunted some at the tops but that has happened before under much different fert dosing. The rest of the plants don't seem to be complaining much at all.

Anyway, less blah, blah - more pics :-)

From @Maryland Guppy - the Ludwigia polycarpa is really looking nice. I moved it from it's original location and trimmed off the bottom. Will have to give it a few weeks to see how it likes this location.

From @burr740 - the Hygrophila serpylla seems to be growing in nicely! This is likely the first carpeting type plant that I haven't killed.

I wanted to include this pic because this is the most "non green" I have seen Bacopa sp. 'colorata' in my tank - kinda liking it.

Sorry folks, don't have any really cool fish pics like @Greggz so I guess a FTS will be the best I can finish with. I did a fair amount of re-arranging of plants in the middle and left sides of the tank. Kinda liking it - certainly more than the overgrown mess I started with.
Greggz, ipkiss, rzn7z7 and 8 others like this.

post #741 of 779 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It will be very interesting to see how things go at that dosing level. I look forward to the updates.

And the tank is looking great......and the Bows too! You've got a nice herd going there.
burr740 and Immortal1 like this.

------------------
post #742 of 779 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice update and nice shot of the bacopa! I'm with you for the colors, always trying to snap a nice picture when it gets a bit pink.
Greggz and Immortal1 like this.

|

post #743 of 779 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
It will be very interesting to see how things go at that dosing level. I look forward to the updates.

And the tank is looking great......and the Bows too! You've got a nice herd going there.

Thanks Gregg. I have a feeling that some of the extra NO3 in the water column is from feeding the fish every day (usually, sometimes I forget and fall asleep, lol). I guess what really interests me at the moment is how low do I have to go before the API test shows I am low? Also, as you say, "the tank is looking great" - yet you and I last year would have LOL at the thought of only dosing 4ppm NO3 weekly. Yet, the pictures say all they need to. Now if I had some sort of active substrate then this would make sense. You said with lower macro dosing your glass is now clean. Mine still gets some GDA after 5-7 days. This almost helps confirm the API test that I still may actually have 20+ NO3 in the water column.

Anyway, time will tell if I am somewhat right or completely off base
Greggz likes this.

post #744 of 779 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

That's looking really good, my friend! Whatever it is you're doing, keep doing it.
Immortal1 likes this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #745 of 779 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I got some Hygrophila serpylla from same source. I have been pleasantly surprised how well its growing in my low-tech tank. Maybe ill finally have a carpet-like plant grow for me as well.

Nice tank.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #746 of 779 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
That's looking really good, my friend! Whatever it is you're doing, keep doing it.
Thankyou Phil ! I think what I really need to do better is documentation - cause when it all crashes I will really need to figure out what was working
Maryland Guppy likes this.

post #747 of 779 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
yet you and I last year would have LOL at the thought of only dosing 4ppm NO3 weekly.
My guess is the lower KH might also have something to do with it. When I lowered mine it seemed I needed less and less dosing. I actually lowered dosing again this week (NO3 = 12.5ppm) just to see what happens.

I also have been testing mine, but NO3 seems pretty steady at about 30ppm end of each week. I've been mixing tank water with RO water to dilute so that I can get a better reading.

And I would keep a close eye on things. Bottoming out takes time, so could be a delayed reaction..................or maybe you have just found a better new normal.

------------------
post #748 of 779 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Time for a Weekend Update :-)
This weeks curiosity - Pogo Kimberly. For the last several months I have been trying to keep a nice collection of 3 Pogos in the back of the tank. Recently, all 3 appeared to stunt at the same time. Really not sure why - possibly the lower NO3 dosing? Or the fact that my water change schedule has been pretty messed up for the last month. Don't know. Anyway, this is what I have now...

Where the heck did all THOSE come from? Guess I'm just gonna have to figure out how I am gonna trim this group.

In other news, the Didiplis Diandra is looking pretty nice these days. Have a feeling it's liking the softer water

And in this pic is my nice grouping of Ludwigia polycarpa with some R. Caterpillar just below it. I'm liking the polycarpa as a mid ground plant at the moment but would be curious to see home much the color changes if I let it get tall. Unfortunately at the moment I seem to have an abundance of background plants...
Greggz, chayos00, burr740 and 1 others like this.

post #749 of 779 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Time for a Weekend Update :-)
This weeks curiosity - Pogo Kimberly. For the last several months I have been trying to keep a nice collection of 3 Pogos in the back of the tank. Recently, all 3 appeared to stunt at the same time. Really not sure why - possibly the lower NO3 dosing? Or the fact that my water change schedule has been pretty messed up for the last month. Don't know. Anyway, this is what I have now...
When I get lots of side shoots from Pogo K, I let them grow and cut the top off the main stalk.

Once they get tall enough, I pull them from the stalk and plant them. A bunch of young plants seems to rejuvenate it. Good to get rid of the really fat stalks every so often and start over.
Phil Edwards and Immortal1 like this.

------------------
post #750 of 779 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
When I get lots of side shoots from Pogo K, I let them grow and cut the top off the main stalk.

Once they get tall enough, I pull them from the stalk and plant them. A bunch of young plants seems to rejuvenate it. Good to get rid of the really fat stalks every so often and start over.
Sounds like some solid advice! Just really surprised it happened in the span of around 2 weeks.
Phil Edwards and Greggz like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode