Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Beautiful fish and tank!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 761 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
@burr740 - the plant I think you are referring to is a Crinum calamistratum. And thanks for the compliments!

@Greggz - right now I am dosing a somewhat modified PPS Pro method. The micros are dosed daily (1mL per 10 gallons) with a goal of .12ppm weekly FE using CSM+B. As for the macros, I am using
KH2PO4_Add 4 gm to 500ML, KNO3_Add 33 gm to 500ML, K2SO4_Add 40 gm to 500ML, MGSO4_Add 20 gm to 500ML and dosing about 1.5mL per 10 gallons daily. If you look at the plants in the 3rd and 5th pics above you can see some pretty rough looking old growth. The new growth is looking much better.
@Jaye - Thank-you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 761 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 01:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pretty tank, love the bows!
Greggz, Greggz, Immortal1 and 1 others like this.

post #34 of 761 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Figured I would give a small update to this journal. Fish are doing great. Plants, well most are doing good and some are doing better. I seem to do very well at growing Amazon sword, Melon sword, Crypt wendii, Java fern and Anubias barterii. Both Crinum (calamistratum & thaianum) seem to be doing pretty good as well. The Dwarf red lily is in there somewhere - shooting up runners on a regular basis. The AR Mini is a pita - it grows but looks like crap. The newest growth is looking better so hopefully I am doing something right. The Ludwigia sp red also grows well - I am finally learning how to trim it to look better. The Rotala is looking better than it has - at least it's growing.
Then there is the new kid on the block - Mermaid weed from GreggZ. Still young but looking good so far. Thankyou Gregg!

75g video - 10/23/2016

post #35 of 761 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Captain

https://youtu.be/v9gjDYkk838
Well this is interesting - I am now dosing around 2/3 to 3/4 EI level of ferts, 30ppm co2, and have the lights on full power. First time I have ever seen this much (really any) pearling.
Should have moved to EI levels a long time ago.
Greggz, Greggz, burr740 and 1 others like this.

post #36 of 761 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hey Linn that's great to hear. Sounds a lot like my recent experience. My plants didn't like going lean. More of everything and they are happy again.

The tank is looking great, and the Rainbows continue to mature. You need a longer video next time.

And Merry Christmas to you and your family!

------------------
post #37 of 761 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Captain

Thanks @Greggz! Once I get rid of the "ugly" plant parts in my tank and get it looking beautiful again I will definitely post up a longer video. Learned something yesterday - thought my single amazon sword was dying as I had many leaves rotting off at the base and floating to the surface (might have been from lean mixture). So, while pruning off the last of the ugly leaves I realized there are what looks like 3 distinct sword plants back there. Wow! Anyway, the pearl weed is looking better. Main part of each leaf is getting thicker and the overall diameter of each new layer is getting bigger so I feel the new fert routine is definitely a better way to go.
Not sure on the Ludwigia Red - it seems to be doing better as well. As for the AR mini, the tops are looking good - just have to give it a few more weeks to see if I will actually be able to properly grow them (well, not like Burr but better than I have in the past LOL).

Merry Christmas!

post #38 of 761 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Well, seeing as this is the start of a new year and the fact that I did promise to upload a better video, I figured I had better get busy with the camera (cell phone).

Linn's 75 Gallon rainbow tank - This video has a maximum setting of 1080p at 60 fps - if you internet connection can handle it.

As for the plants;
  • My crypt bronze was looking a little rough after I removed and sold off about 60% of what I had. I now see a bunch of new leaves sprouting up so I can only assume it is happy once again.
  • My Melon & Amazon swords are once again sprouting nice new leaves now that I have switched over to full EI dosing.
  • What I currently have of the True Rotala indica pretty much looks like crap. I will likely pull it all out when the weather gets warmer and I can buy some more ( @burr740 )
  • I am not going to say I have won my battle with the Alternanthera reineckii cardinalis but the tops that I re-planted are looking much better.
  • As for the Ludwigia sp red - the top 3-4" is looking very good and growing pretty fast. I am hoping to build up a much better grouping of this plant!
  • The Anubias Barterii is pretty much always happy. In the last 4 months I probably have removed atleast 6" of total rhizome from the two that are down there somewhere.
  • The Java fern & Crinum calamistratum seem a little more difficult to tell if they are happy with the EI dosing. They just seem to slowly grow no mater what.
  • Now, my newest addition is the mermaid weed from @Greggz - it started out a little rough but lately I have noticed the leaves are fattening up and spreading out more. Pretty sure it will live :-)

As for the fish - well, they were pretty much the highlight of the video. For those who might ask, I have the following;
  • Desert Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia splendida tatei) - 2 males (my big boys) and 3 females.
  • Yellow Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi) - 2 males (amazed at how bright the yellow is) and 3 females. (Males have the bright orange tails, females have clear tails)
  • New Guinea Red Rainbow (Glossolepis incisus) - 2 males (they get very red when they are happy) and 2 females. (Females look more like a dirty gold color)
  • Panda Garra (Garra flavatra) - 3 total, boy, girl, ? have no idea.
  • Albino Aeneus Cory Cat (Corydoras aeneus) - 5 total. I think 2 are females.
  • Bushy Nose Pleco (Ancistrus sp. L144) - 2 males.
  • Bushy Nose Pleco (Ancistrus sp.) - 1 female.
  • Black Skirt Tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi) - 4 of my original fish.
  • Serpae Tetra (Hyphessobycon eques) - 6 of my original fish.
  • Siamese Algea Eater (Crossocheilus siamensis) - 2. Guessing 1 male and 1 female.

Thats pretty much it for the update. Big thankyou to TPT - have learned a lot in the last year!
Greggz, Greggz, burr740 and 5 others like this.

Last edited by Immortal1; 01-02-2017 at 06:02 PM. Reason: <?>
post #39 of 761 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 06:23 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (122/100%)
Stay on the grind man!

Looking forward to see the newest rendition!

post #40 of 761 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice update Linn. Tank is looking great, and your Rainbows are getting to a nice impressive size.

Will be interested to hear follow ups on your new dosing. Glad to hear some plants have responded well, hopefully it continues for you. I see that Mermaid Weed is still hanging on. When it gets nearer the light it should really take off.

Keep the updates coming.

------------------
post #41 of 761 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Note really an update, just wanted a good place for some information.
dGH-16, dKH-8, Ca-100ppm, Mg-20ppm (5:1) before water change. Approximately 60 gallons water in tank. Drained 30 gallons of water.
Added 5 gallons distilled water and 25 gallons tap water. Also added 4 tsp MGSO4 (+2.07dGH, +9ppm Mg, +11.9 S).
dGH-14, dKH-8, Ca-100ppm, Mg-40ppm (2.5:1) AFTER water change. No additional MGSO4 @ next water change. Re-Test Mg after 2 weeks.

post #42 of 761 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Captain

Been taking pictures on a regular basis of my various fish and plants. Every once in a while I run across what I feel is a good pic so I figured I would share :-)

So, are you new here?

post #43 of 761 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Great shot Linn!

Good looking Bow, and that is one the best pictures I've seen of a BN.

Keep them coming.

------------------
post #44 of 761 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Captain

Thank-you Gregg! Can't remember if I ever posted one of these pics but figured I would add it to this collection :-)
For some reason my other BN pleco likes laying on his back while dining on cucumber. Silly fish.

post #45 of 761 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Good morning everyone! Was pretty bored yesterday sitting at how so I decided to take a few pics of the fish in my tank. Well as some of you know, that can take more time than you would think to get a few good shots. Especially when you are using your cell phone LOL. Anyway, here is what I came up with...

Melanotaenia splendida tatei - Male, Pretty much the biggest of my rainbows.

Melanotaenia splendida tatei - Female, figured I would include what the girls look like.

Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodia - Male, The 2 males of this group have colored up very nicely.

Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodia - Female, The girls are not as colorful but I still enjoy having them in the tank.

Glossolepis incisus - Male, These guy get serious bright red when the get frisky with the girls!

Glossolepis incisus - Femal, The girls of this group have a more gold color to them - oh well.

Marci Rainbow - Male. Found out after my purchase that this is a Hybred fish (oops). Will have to see how he colors up in the coming months.

Overly bright Flower shrimp (bamboo shrimp?). I'm sure these guys have a scientific name, just never bothered to look it up.

Garra flavatrac, My tank simply would not be complete with out these 3 characters - lot of fun to watch.

Will see if I can get some pics of the newest plant growth in the next post.
Greggz, Greggz, Milkman and 15 others like this.

Last edited by Immortal1; 03-11-2017 at 07:51 PM. Reason: <?>

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode