Immortal1 75g journey (Pics from Seattle) - Page 24 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #346 of 739 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
NOOOOOO!!! I loved the vintage filter. Now I have to go back and try to find another source of older photos. My cameras don't have filters like that.

On the plus side, things are looking great! If I may suggest, move the stump over in front of the Pogostemon. It's a little too close to the middle and is a pretty strong visual element. Moving it to the right will help with focal points. Is that other piece of wood serving any purpose in there? It looks like it was put in there just to have another piece of wood in the tank with it stuck back there behind the plants.
Sorry Phil, vintage filter simply had to go! Maybe I will bring it back at the beginning of each month
So, I did a little rearranging in the tank this morning. The wood piece on the far right got downsized a bit - removed a part that had dissolved a bit too far and split the slate bottom in half. Then I pushed it a little further into the back right corner. As for a "purpose", sorta - both bristle nose plecos sleep on the under side of that particular piece of wood.

Will have to get a pic of it later once the water clears up but I did attach the Anubias Nana Petite to the base V of that piece of wood. Hoping as it grows it will follow the wood "up" to the top. Should add a nice bit of green in the back right.

The stump then had room to be moved further off center. I did have to move the Amazon Sword from the right of the wood stump to the left of the wood stump. I have a feeling the Amazon sword will be going to the LFS in the near future once I find something to replace it.

As the Mermaid weed seems to like the light (as it grew closer to the surface, it bent more towards the center), I switch positions of the Mermaid weed and the Ludwigia sp Red. If the sp Red twists a bit towards the light I don't think it will look as odd as the plant seems to grow in many directions at once.

In time, I am hoping the Pogo Kimberly gets a little taller and I will try to keep the Mermaid weed a little shorter.

Ok, with all that said - thoughts?

Greggz, Greggz, Dempsey and 11 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Immortal1; 05-13-2018 at 05:35 PM. Reason: <?>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #347 of 739 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 05:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Sorry Phil, vintage filter simply had to go! Maybe I will bring it back at the beginning of each month
So, I did a little rearranging in the tank this morning. The wood piece on the far right got downsized a bit - removed a part that had dissolved a bit too far and split the slate bottom in half. Then I pushed it a little further into the back right corner. Will have to get a pic of it later once the water clears up but I did attach the Anubias Nana Petite to the base V of the wood. Hoping as it grows it will follow the wood "up".

The stump then had room to be moved further off center. I did have to move the Amazon Sword from the right of the wood stump to the left of the wood stump. I have a feeling the Amazon sword will be going to the LFS in the near future once I find something to replace it.

As the Mermaid weed seems to like the light (as it grew closer to the surface, it bent more towards the center), I switch positions of the Mermaid weed and the Ludwigia sp Red. If the sp Red twists a bit towards the light I don't think it will look as odd as the plant seems to grow in many directions at once.

In time, I am hoping the Pogo Kimberly gets a little taller and I will try to keep the Mermaid weed a little shorter.

Ok, with all that said - thoughts?

This looks great! I hope my 75g tank looks even half this good. Its not full dutch, but the plant groupings are excellent and I love the natural substrate.

post #348 of 739 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Thank-you @ChrisX - its been an interesting journey to this point.

post #349 of 739 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Who/what is your image host? I can't see any pics &#x1f61e;

My tank journal.

post #350 of 739 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaldurak View Post
Who/what is your image host? I can't see any pics &#x1f61e;
I actually use this site, The Planted Tank, to host my images.

post #351 of 739 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Captain

Ok, got some better pics o look at. First, as I have never had this plant, will the Anubis Nana follow up the piece of wood naturally or will I need some brute force to keep it in line?

And hopefully this is a little better FTS now that things have calmed down a bit from this morning. Also a couple shots from above with the filter off...

Greggz, Greggz, Dempsey and 11 others like this.

post #352 of 739 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 11:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

That's already looking a lot better, even without the filter. As far as the Anubias, with the way you've got it oriented it's going to grow toward the Pogo. You'll want to orient the rhizome in the direction you want it to grow, with that newest leaf in the growing direction. If you need to lay it on its side a bit to get that, go ahead. I've had to do that with a bunch of them in the past since some of the wood was too thick for the roots to go around.
Immortal1 and Immortal1 like this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #353 of 739 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like the shots from above looking down into the tank Linn. They are always tricky to get with the reflection of the lights.

If you compare your FTS from just a week ago, you see substantial growth. And those overhead shots show a lot of plant mass is starting to develop.

Before long you better sharpen your scissors. Taming that plant mass and keeping just a little elbow room between the species will become more of a weekly event, and be important to the health of your plants. You are well on your way now, good to see the progress.

------------------
post #354 of 739 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Captain

@Phil Edwards - will have to see if I can get the Anubias point in the right direction :-) Thank-you for your input on the tank.
@Greggz - Yes, those above shots are a bit of a pain considering all the reflection from the light. But, the new settings on the phone seem to be working better at making adjustments.
Yes, the plants (at least some of them) are growing alot! As I'm sure you have asked yourself in the past - if I can grow the heck out of those plants, why do these plants seem to die? Age old mystery, lol.

Speaking of LOL, well sorta. Was awakend last nite about 11:00pm to a loud noise. Went downstairs and found a lot of water on the floor in the living room and the kitchen.... what the heck? I then noticed one of the 2 cats was under the kitchen table - obviously wet!
Uh oh... Well first off, they got locked in the basement for the nite. Then I began my groggy investigation. Seems the cat likes sitting/sleeping on the top of one of the bearded dragon cages. Also seems her "former" favorite way up there was to walk across the top of the 20g tank and jump. Well, I guess those flimsy glass lids are NOT strong enough. My guess is the back glass panel shattered when she tried to jump and, well, got a good soaking. I did get most of the glass out of the tank and soaked 2 towels cleaning up the mess.

So, I had a few minutes at lunch time today and I think I may have come up with a solution. A bit ugly, but it should work for now. FYI, the material is corrugated plastic board used for various yard signs.

post #355 of 739 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Any restaurants nearby that could use the vermin?
Greggz and Greggz like this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #356 of 739 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 10:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
@Phil Edwards - will have to see if I can get the Anubias point in the right direction :-) Thank-you for your input on the tank.
@Greggz - Yes, those above shots are a bit of a pain considering all the reflection from the light. But, the new settings on the phone seem to be working better at making adjustments.
Yes, the plants (at least some of them) are growing alot! As I'm sure you have asked yourself in the past - if I can grow the heck out of those plants, why do these plants seem to die? Age old mystery, lol.

Speaking of LOL, well sorta. Was awakend last nite about 11:00pm to a loud noise. Went downstairs and found a lot of water on the floor in the living room and the kitchen.... what the heck? I then noticed one of the 2 cats was under the kitchen table - obviously wet!
Uh oh... Well first off, they got locked in the basement for the nite. Then I began my groggy investigation. Seems the cat likes sitting/sleeping on the top of one of the bearded dragon cages. Also seems her "former" favorite way up there was to walk across the top of the 20g tank and jump. Well, I guess those flimsy glass lids are NOT strong enough. My guess is the back glass panel shattered when she tried to jump and, well, got a good soaking. I did get most of the glass out of the tank and soaked 2 towels cleaning up the mess.

So, I had a few minutes at lunch time today and I think I may have come up with a solution. A bit ugly, but it should work for now. FYI, the material is corrugated plastic board used for various yard signs.

The cat will just climb your curtains now.
Phil Edwards and Phil Edwards like this.

post #357 of 739 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Captain

@Maryland Guppy - Sure, plenty. Although non officially, lol. Actually kinda like the cats - most of the time.

Bump: @ChrisX - I see any of that and the claw trimmers are coming out! And I don't play nice with those things.

post #358 of 739 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 12:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm sorry Linn, I just have to laugh. That's something my boys would do and is why I either have a full wood canopy or open top on my tanks. They know from firstpaw experience what happens when they try to get in/on a full open top tank. Daddy's a mean teacher.
Immortal1 and Immortal1 like this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #359 of 739 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Well, one things for sure - I seem to be able to grow plants! Even if there is still GDA on the front glass every 3-4 days.
This pic is from May 13, 2018

And this one is from May 19, 2018

Gonna sharpen up the scissors and get to trimming! Hopefully I can even things out a bit

post #360 of 739 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Linn could we get one of those pics in "vintage" mode too?

Plants look nice and growing well it seems!
Greggz, Greggz, vvDO and 3 others like this.

Growing is not that difficult.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode