LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 739 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sprint
Place called ROE in Rock Island, IL
Aquatic Enviroments in Davenport, IA

Andrew, thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 739 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 02:53 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Wow, some local compatriots!

Teske's has some interesting fish as well. They have locations in Davenport, IA and Moline, IL.

post #18 of 739 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Captain

Finally decided to post a small update. Been working on learning to grow plants and added a few more fish. Dwarf lily is growing like mad for some reason. Still trying to figure out why they call it dwarf, lol. Regardless, on to the pic

post #19 of 739 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Captain

https://youtu.be/-qJUtMNr3Io

Finally got around to shooting a decent video of the tank with my cell phone (sorry for the quality). Kind of a progress video to look back on :-)

https://youtu.be/doXfS75XKDk

Kinda a nice video of the various fish in the tank.

Last edited by Immortal1; 07-04-2015 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Added another video
post #20 of 739 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Captain

Been a bit of time since I updated this thread so I figured I had better add a new pic. Everything has definitely grown in. Been trimming the Amazon Sword back atleast once a week. The crypts in the front right corner have filled in nicely. My java fern in the front left corner is nice and green. The wisteria in the back left really should be pruned back a bit but oh well :-)

post #21 of 739 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Some various videos of my 75 gallon tank. p.s., please ignore the TV playing in the background LOL and also the Table lamp reflections (yes, I suck at doing professional videos).

Feeding Time - what do you think? Too much food? Video is only 58 seconds long. By the time 2 minutes have passed there is really no visible food left.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk-MI0YsYpg

Fat SAE - what do you think? Is this a female or am I over feeding them?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpK9Yh4k-vU
ecoaqaurist and ecoaqaurist like this.

Last edited by Immortal1; 08-20-2015 at 08:56 PM. Reason: I need more experience posting things...
post #22 of 739 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 11:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
LOVE the setup! I'm waiting on some disability back-pay from the VA & we'll have our house paid off, just to turn around & have one built. Our living room will have built-ins for 4-6 120-H's. I'll be a busy man!

I found out that the "H" in 120-H stands for HERNIA

GLA Mini M "Divorce Papers"
ADA 60-P Mist "A Beautiful Place Out In The Country"

PROUD US Army Disabled Veteran 1994-2004
post #23 of 739 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 11:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
What brand drop checker do you use?, i wish i didnt have to lug 5-gallon buckets around, but my tank is on the 2nd floor, so i cant run a drain pipe or water pipes
post #24 of 739 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
What brand drop checker do you use?, i wish i didnt have to lug 5-gallon buckets around, but my tank is on the 2nd floor, so i cant run a drain pipe or water pipes
Drop checker is a Cal Aqua Labs unit. Sorry to hear about your lack of options, was worth the effort in my case.

post #25 of 739 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Captain

Another update video of the tank. Am amazed how much things have grown in just 2 months. The blyxa haponica hase gotten much larger and the java fern in the front left is also much fuller. Seems like once or twice a week I am cutting our Amazon sword leaves. Did not realize then grow so fast. Anyway, enough rambling, onto the show...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGBomlW1wi8
kalawai2000 and kalawai2000 like this.

post #26 of 739 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 02:44 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
May I suggest you make those plugs under your fish tanks GFCI receptacles for your own protection and your fishes too. You can change the circuit breaker out for one that serves also as a GFCI breaker. A GFCI receptacle needs good grounding too, so make sure you have that right or they wont work correctly and protect you. I have witnessed what 120 volts can do to someone and am a firm believer in GFCI receptacles. 120 volts will short circuit your nervous system freezing your muscles and paralyzing that part of your body leaving you immobilized as it cooks your muscles from the inside out and eventually kills you.

75 gallon planted low tech
10 gallon quarantine planted low tech
5 gallon planted (sons) low tech
Plant heavily, fertilize well, stock lightly, change water weekly, and most importantly do not use too much light.

post #27 of 739 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Captain

LOL, guess I have not looked at or updated this in awhile. FYI jcstank, all the electrical under the tanks are routed to a GFCI breaker that is mounted under the outside corner of the adjacent 40g tank. From there the power comes from a dedicated circuit located just outside the footprint of the tanks.
I am ok with eating fish - but definitely did not "cook" or zap the fish in my tanks :-)
ecoaqaurist and ecoaqaurist like this.

post #28 of 739 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Captain

Well, according to @Greggz it's about time I updated my build thread instead of commenting on everybody elses threads :-)
Currently working on getting my ferts back in order (or maybe getting my plants to be happy with what I am giving them). At one point I was pretty certain I was overdosing the micros. So, after getting that mess worked out I decided (according to the always accurate API Nitrate test) that I was dosing too much macros so I reduced the KNO3 dose to nothing (the others were bumped up a bit). Well, I finally figured out I was starving my poor plants so now I am back to hopefully back to dosing the correct micros and macros. I also decided to take after Gregg and throw in some pics of the beautiful fish along with a full tank shot of the plants :-)

The Yellow Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi) are coloring up nicely

The New Guinea Red Rainbow (Glossolepis incisus) are not even 1 year old and looking pretty damn good!

My albino corys are always a barrel of laughs. Pretty sure they are blind cause nothing bothers them and they will swim into just about anything LOL

And here are my 2 big boys. Still working out the pecking order - usually on a daily basis. FYI, they are Desert Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia splendida tatei)

And just really liked this pic. Was surprised how many different fish I got in this pic. (can you see at lease 12?)

And I suppose this post would not be complete with out this girl

And of course, a nice full tank shot to finish things off.

post #29 of 739 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 04:26 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (120/100%)
Looking sweet! I like the crypts in front, and the balansae (or what ever that is) is really cool
Immortal1 and Immortal1 like this.

post #30 of 739 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 12:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The whole tank is looking great, both fish and fauna.

The Herbertaxelrodi and the Incisus have really colored up. And the Splendida's look like they have really filled in, and are just looking great.

If you get time, I'd like to hear more about your dosing , and where you are at with it now. I am experimenting a bit myself, and always curious to see what is (or isn't) working for others.

And if your plants keep growing like that, your Rainbows won't have any room left to swim.

------------------

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode