Immortal1 75g journey (New PLANTS 4/8/20) - Page 61 - The Planted Tank Forum
 2022Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #901 of 910 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
Those are some fantastic pictures, Linn! I really hope you get a bloom out of it!

Have you had to toss any of the new plants or are they all settling in pretty well?

Thank you Grobbins. Really hoping it flowers - would be spectacular!
As for the new plants....

01-Rotala mexicana gopias This plant got moved to her 40g. Very small leafed plant did not show up well in my tank.
02-Staurogyne purple This plants seems to be doing well - more vertical growth than 08
03-Ludwigia senegalensis Growing nicely. started out about 2" tall - now maybe 3" from the surface
04-Eriocaulon kannurense This plant melted within a few days. I left the stump but have not seen anything yet
05-Ludwigia curly tornado Very happy in my tank. Looking healthy
06-Hygrophila parawitota Also seems to be doing well. Not the fastest grower
07-Syngonanthus giant Doing very well. Already trimmed once
08-Stautogyne porto velho This version seem to be happier growing sideways along the substrate.
09-Tonina fluviatilis Wow - very happy. Made it almost to the surface and then I cut it in half. Will see how the stump grows back in.
10-Limnophila green wavy Doing well. Not fast but at least healty.
Greggz and Grobbins48 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 910 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Nothing overly stellar but I figured I would post something :-)

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #903 of 910 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Well, that was fun...
In the picture above I noticed thread algae. According to this article it could either be excess ammonia or organic waste. Ok - I have been trying to keep the tanks and filters pretty clean so I decided to test for ammonia. All 3 of my tanks tested 0.25ppm ammonia. WHAT?

So, that lead to a bunch of testing of my RO water, tap water, the distilled water I buy from the store that I fully trusted to be pure (see where I am going here?) and the various equipment I use to collect water samples which I assumed to be clean (never assume).

After many, many tests it was determined that my trusty sampling syringe (medical grade 10ml) was not as clean as I assumed. Also, the "high quality" distilled water I get from the store may not be as "quality" as I assumed.

Using proven - cleaned equipment I was able to consistently produce 0.0ppm ammonia tests of my RO water and tank water. Guess the end result is I need to keep my tanks / filters cleaner! Oh, and stop assuming!

Greggz, rzn7z7 and Ken Keating1 like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

post #904 of 910 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 03:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
hmm. if I didn't know any better, I'd said you were "cleaning" your stuff in chlorine/chloramine laced tap water!

That ammonia kit isn't hard to register 0, I practically dip the tube into my tank, seal with my finger, measure out with my thumb on the top, and still get good results!

To see you go through such exacting scientific methods to get a clean reading is intriguing.

Then again, maybe my kit is bad

Good to see the tank doing well otherwise!
Greggz, Immortal1 and Ken Keating1 like this.

post #905 of 910 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 03:40 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Nothing overly stellar but I figured I would post something :-)
Were you able to remedy that hair algae? I'm battling with some myself. Curious to know what you are doing to eradicate it.
post #906 of 910 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 06:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendy8888 View Post
I did the same thing using K2CO3 for K, just be aware it is hygroscopic. Mine picked up significant moisture being stored in the basement over summer. I believe it led to some problems under dosing K and led me to supplement with K2SO4.
Interesting that you would say this. I tested my RO water for K after adding enough to raise to 1dKH. The test picked up less than 5ppm of K. Should have around 14ppm. Has me scratching my head.
post #907 of 910 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Captain

@Squids - the hair algae in the wifes 40g has gotten better. In my case, the PO4 levels in her tank and my 75g tank were exceedingly high (think 15-20ppm). My guess is, as the plant health went down, the PO4 accumulated faster. GDA was getting worse also so I added a bit more PO4 but did not really "test" that closely for how much was accumulating in the tanks. Once I finally figured out, what I assume to be the problem, I lowered the PO4 level drastically thru water changes and now the plants seem much healthier.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #908 of 910 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Captain

@Discusluv - thought I would give you a small update on the 20g low tech tank :-)
The existing "ketchup" shrimp seem to be doing just fine. At the moment, I can only see the one "mustard" but I am sure there are more of them in there :-)

FTS during water change

A little Ketchup...

And some nice mustard :-)

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #909 of 910 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 04:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
@Discusluv - thought I would give you a small update on the 20g low tech tank :-)
The existing "ketchup" shrimp seem to be doing just fine. At the moment, I can only see the one "mustard" but I am sure there are more of them in there :-)

FTS during water change

A little Ketchup...

And some nice mustard :-)
Haha! Ketchup and mustard! Great combination
Well, if you dont see more mustards in next month- we can have another trade and ill send you more mature ones. The little ones I sent you might have been gobbled up by fish!
Immortal1 and Grobbins48 like this.

Amy
post #910 of 910 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Small update - been working on lowering my PO4 level from roughly 15ppm to 3 or 4ppm in the tank. My GSA algae issues have improved, and plant growth is definitely showing progress!
Thinking this weekend will involve a lot of trimming in both of the high tech tanks.
FTS from a couple days ago
Hendy8888, Greggz, rzn7z7 and 4 others like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode