Being as I am stuck at home, figured I would post an update on the tank. Well, maybe all 3 tanks
Anyway, long time ago I was dosing a rather high level of NO3 – like 25-30ppm weekly. Plants were OK, but felt things could be better. NO3 dosing was eventually brought down to 8ppm NO3 weekly and the plants honestly began looking a bit better and many of the algae issues seemed to disappear. Around the beginning of this year I was noticing less plant growth and more GDA issues on the glass, hard scape, and especially some of the plants. *always assumed GDA was due to excessive NO3*. Anyway, on a whim I raised the weekly NO3 to 12ppm – plants looked happier. Now my weekly dosing is 16/6/19 N/P/K and I would say for some of the plants – this is the happiest I have seen them.
The existing leaves of the Lagenandra meeboldii “pink” looked terrible most of this year with excessive amounts of GDA. New growth looked good, but it did not last. The Rotala Magenta was doing OK, but now it is grow faster and bigger. The Penthorum sedoides is now looking very happy. My new Staurogyne purple (middle of pic) also looks like it is growing well. Really liking the leaf color of the Barclaya longifolia red – much better without all the GDA.
The new Tonina fluviatilis is growing nicely. The Bacopa “sp” colorada is finally looking good again. Was mostly green w/GDA on the leaves (look at the older leaves for an idea). Interesting observation – the Mermaid weed now has a lot of skinny leaves at the top as opposed to the fat leaves that I have had since I got the plant.
The Hygro 53B, which is now in the back, is looking better (honestly). Used to have a lot of GDA on the leaves. What remains seems to be some GSA on the older leaves, which at this point I can deal with. If you look at the wood feature you can see it is covered with GDA – not sure what I will do about that. Maybe leave it?
My Pogo Kimberly in the 75g has been unhappy for awhile. In the pic below I am holding out hope that the healthy new growth will continue. The new Syngonanthus giant, and Stautogyne porto velho seem to be doing well. As I have never had it – wondering if the S. porto velho will be more of a carpet plant vs vertical stem plant? The Rotala Mexicana gopias is, at this point, a very small leafed plant. May just take some time to get bigger / denser?
This is the best pic I have so far of this area. The older Ludwigia senegalensis leaves are showing some GDA, but everything at the top seems to look pretty healthy. The Hygrophila parawitota seems to be doing well. I moved it a bit more forward in the tank – maybe give it a bit more light. As for the Ludwigia curly tornado – I should have guessed from the “Ludwigia” name it would be a bit of a weed . Probably has doubled in size since I got it.
Gotta thru a little love towards the wifes tank. This pic is a bit over exposed, but it at least gives you some idea of the vibrance of the tank. The Anubias nana has GDA on the oldest leaves, but all the newer stuff seems to be doing well. The Rotala rotundifolia, which is from my tank, is growing like an absolute weed – at least 3” per week, maybe 4”. Pretty good considering PAR in this tank is 70-80 at best.
And then there is the lowly low tech 20g tank. Honestly this tank was a disaster earlier this year. Plants looked sickly, BGA was rampant, and it was in need of some serious maintenance. 1 month later and this is what I have. Right now I am seeing what plants grow well in a low tech environment with decent conditions. Also ditched the Current Satellite Plus Pro light in favor of a pair of Fluval 3.0 Nano LED lights.