Immortal1 75g journey (New PLANTS 4/8/20) - Page 60 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1998Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #886 of 904 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Can't recall if I have posted an overall pic since the beginning of this thread, but, following along with @Greggz and @Grobbins48 work environments - figured I would tag along.
Though I still need to work on the dosing worksheet...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #887 of 904 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Being as I am stuck at home, figured I would post an update on the tank. Well, maybe all 3 tanks ��
Anyway, long time ago I was dosing a rather high level of NO3 – like 25-30ppm weekly. Plants were OK, but felt things could be better. NO3 dosing was eventually brought down to 8ppm NO3 weekly and the plants honestly began looking a bit better and many of the algae issues seemed to disappear. Around the beginning of this year I was noticing less plant growth and more GDA issues on the glass, hard scape, and especially some of the plants. *always assumed GDA was due to excessive NO3*. Anyway, on a whim I raised the weekly NO3 to 12ppm – plants looked happier. Now my weekly dosing is 16/6/19 N/P/K and I would say for some of the plants – this is the happiest I have seen them.

The existing leaves of the Lagenandra meeboldii “pink” looked terrible most of this year with excessive amounts of GDA. New growth looked good, but it did not last. The Rotala Magenta was doing OK, but now it is grow faster and bigger. The Penthorum sedoides is now looking very happy. My new Staurogyne purple (middle of pic) also looks like it is growing well. Really liking the leaf color of the Barclaya longifolia red – much better without all the GDA.

The new Tonina fluviatilis is growing nicely. The Bacopa “sp” colorada is finally looking good again. Was mostly green w/GDA on the leaves (look at the older leaves for an idea). Interesting observation – the Mermaid weed now has a lot of skinny leaves at the top as opposed to the fat leaves that I have had since I got the plant.

The Hygro 53B, which is now in the back, is looking better (honestly). Used to have a lot of GDA on the leaves. What remains seems to be some GSA on the older leaves, which at this point I can deal with. If you look at the wood feature you can see it is covered with GDA – not sure what I will do about that. Maybe leave it?

My Pogo Kimberly in the 75g has been unhappy for awhile. In the pic below I am holding out hope that the healthy new growth will continue. The new Syngonanthus giant, and Stautogyne porto velho seem to be doing well. As I have never had it – wondering if the S. porto velho will be more of a carpet plant vs vertical stem plant? The Rotala Mexicana gopias is, at this point, a very small leafed plant. May just take some time to get bigger / denser?

This is the best pic I have so far of this area. The older Ludwigia senegalensis leaves are showing some GDA, but everything at the top seems to look pretty healthy. The Hygrophila parawitota seems to be doing well. I moved it a bit more forward in the tank – maybe give it a bit more light. As for the Ludwigia curly tornado – I should have guessed from the “Ludwigia” name it would be a bit of a weed ��. Probably has doubled in size since I got it.

Gotta thru a little love towards the wifes tank. This pic is a bit over exposed, but it at least gives you some idea of the vibrance of the tank. The Anubias nana has GDA on the oldest leaves, but all the newer stuff seems to be doing well. The Rotala rotundifolia, which is from my tank, is growing like an absolute weed – at least 3” per week, maybe 4”. Pretty good considering PAR in this tank is 70-80 at best.

And then there is the lowly low tech 20g tank. Honestly this tank was a disaster earlier this year. Plants looked sickly, BGA was rampant, and it was in need of some serious maintenance. 1 month later and this is what I have. Right now I am seeing what plants grow well in a low tech environment with decent conditions. Also ditched the Current Satellite Plus Pro light in favor of a pair of Fluval 3.0 Nano LED lights.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #888 of 904 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 12:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice update Linn.

No surprise to me plants are responding well to a bit more dosing. I know you were dosing very lean for a bit, and I was wondering how that was working out.

How many species you have in that 75G now? Looks like collectoritis is going full steam ahead!!
Ken Keating1 likes this.

---
---

post #889 of 904 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Nice update Linn.

No surprise to me plants are responding well to a bit more dosing. I know you were dosing very lean for a bit, and I was wondering how that was working out.

How many species you have in that 75G now? Looks like collectoritis is going full steam ahead!!
Thankyou Gregg. Really should have raised the dosing earlier - just figured the lower dosing was the ultimate answer.

Yeah... gonna have to schedule a visit with the family doctor soon. unfortunately I don't think his cure will help

1. Crinum Calamistratum
2. Ludwigia repens ‘Rubin’
3. Ludwigia sp. Atlantis
4. Ludwigia polycarpa
5. Hygrophila Balsamica
6. Tonina fluviatilis
7. Limnophila green wavy
8. Bacopa Caroliniana
9. Bacopa sp. Colorata
10. Compacta Hygrophila Corymbosa
11. Mermaid Weed (Proserpinaca palustris)
12. Rotala Magenta
13. Barclaya Longifolia Red
14. Penthorun Sedoides
15. Lagenandra meeboldii "Pink"
16. Staurogyne purple
17. Pogo Kimberley (Pogostemon sp. Kimberley)
18. Rotala Sri Lanka Bronze
19. Cardinal Flower (Lobelia Cardinalis)
20. Anubias nana
21. Ludwigia palustris "Super Red"
22. Eriocaulon Sp Vietnam
23. Stautogyne porto velho
24. Syngonanthus giant
25. Hygrophila parawitota
26. Ludwigia curly tornado
27. Ludwigia senegalensis
28. Rotala mexicana gopias
29. Hygrophila 'Siamensis 53B'

Pretty sure the above list is correct. As the new plants grow I suspect the list will get shorter - or the new medication helps, LOL.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

Last edited by Immortal1; 04-24-2020 at 01:21 AM. Reason: <?>
post #890 of 904 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 06:08 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
Nice updates. Thats a very nice and chill looking room you have there.
Immortal1 likes this.

post #891 of 904 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 06:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

Very cool fish room!
Immortal1 likes this.

my 20 gallon journal:

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:
post #892 of 904 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Captain

Thinking I am gonna have a busy day tomorrow trimming plants

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #893 of 904 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah Linn you gotta give them Rainbows some room to swim.......although I do like the "jungle" look you got going there.

Look forward to seeing the "after" pic.

---
---
post #894 of 904 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Just gonna leave this here as a reminder to me. Finally switched over to K2CO3 Potassium Carbonate for my dKH. The interesting thing about this product is the "K". Because of what it adds to the RO water, I have now stopped dosing K2SO4 with my macros.
Still a bit curious about my GDA issue in the 75g tank. Last week I dosed the NO3 listed below (front load). Tank looked great Monday thru Thursday. Friday & Saturday showed an increase in GDA.
When I was dosing a much lower NO3 previously (6ppm range weekly) the GDA was pretty much rampant and plant growth was - less.
So, this week I think I will try adding 2-3ppm NO3 on Wednesday. Hopefully I get a little less GDA, and more plant growth (is that really what I need now?).
Anyway, will have tank shots later tonite.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #895 of 904 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 02:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I did the same thing using K2CO3 for K, just be aware it is hygroscopic. Mine picked up significant moisture being stored in the basement over summer. I believe it led to some problems under dosing K and led me to supplement with K2SO4.
Greggz and Ken Keating1 like this.

post #896 of 904 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendy8888 View Post
I did the same thing using K2CO3 for K, just be aware it is hygroscopic. Mine picked up significant moisture being stored in the basement over summer. I believe it led to some problems under dosing K and led me to supplement with K2SO4.
Good info to know - thank you! Going to find an appropriate container to keep it "sealed"
Ken Keating1 likes this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #897 of 904 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Used the Pro mode for this FTS - maybe a little dark?

Used the basic camera setting for this FTS

Eitherway, there is a lot more room for the bows to roam - which they seem to do happily.
Will be interesting to see how this week goes - a little less light, a little more NO3. Fingers crossed.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #898 of 904 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Used the Pro mode for this FTS - maybe a little dark?

Used the basic camera setting for this FTS

Eitherway, there is a lot more room for the bows to roam - which they seem to do happily.
Will be interesting to see how this week goes - a little less light, a little more NO3. Fingers crossed.

Looks great! Looks like the syno’s are doing well! Makes me want to try them again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #899 of 904 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Some random plant pics that I took earlier in the week.

I also found a surprise in my tank last Sunday. Was talking to Phil Edwards this evening and he confirmed what it was. Fingers crossed I can get it to reach the surface

For those that don't know - Crinum calamistratum can flower. And if I'm lucky...

Forgot to add the pic I just took of the wifes 40g cube

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

Last edited by Immortal1; 05-07-2020 at 11:54 PM. Reason: <?>
post #900 of 904 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 09:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Those are some fantastic pictures, Linn! I really hope you get a bloom out of it!

Have you had to toss any of the new plants or are they all settling in pretty well?
Immortal1 likes this.

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode