Immortal1 75g journey (New PLANTS 4/8/20) - Page 59 - The Planted Tank Forum
 2022Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #871 of 910 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well, seeing as I am "working from home" for awhile, I guess it's time for me to add a few pics to you know, keep up with everybody else :-)
Gotta love @Ken Keating1 latest fish pics!

Guess it can't ALL be about the bows... well, maybe

Gotta throw a little love towards the wife's tank :-)

And will you look at that - a Buce flower - that's NEVER happened to me before...

Guess in my haste to post this, I completely forgot about my other 2 pics...

Greggz, Bettatail, rzn7z7 and 5 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

Last edited by Immortal1; 03-24-2020 at 10:09 PM. Reason: <?>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 910 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Won't really have any rainbow pics or plant pics this weekend. Pretty much spent the entire weekend (so far) re-arranging most of the items under the 75g tank in preparation for a new canister filter. The original 20g water storage tank had to go - just not enough room. The 10# CO2 tank and regulator also had to go to a new home. The opening on the right side of the cabinet simply was not wide enough for the new canister filter to fit.
Saturday pretty much involved reloacating the CO2 system to where the air pumps previously were stacked. The air pumps were then re-located to under the 75g tank. The 20g storage tank was pulled out and put in storage. Then is was onto re-plumbing water to the new 10g storage tank and all the little things that want with that.

Today I picked up some new 1" ribbed pond tubing and some 1" hose barbs - assuming everything would go together easily... yeah.
I could not get the ribbed pond tubing on the hose barbs but it slid nicely onto the Fluval hose connection. And thats where the pictures begin

So, after all that I was able to turn on the new filter and evaluate how it was working. Was hoping to have a little more flow that what the old AquaTOP CF500 had. So far I am happy. Something to note in the initial part of the video below. Watch the small leaf floating on the surface - it gets pulled nicely towards the skimmer bar as intended.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #873 of 910 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 08:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Great write up, I really enjoy the details and notes. And don't worry, you're not the only one who's ground barbs to make them fit, I've spent hours doing that on the grinder. And is seems like the barbs either won't go on at all or are just a little too loose, so there's a fine line on the grinding. And same with boiling water to loosen the tubing, I've been there lots of times.

Funny, not sure how many actually enjoy the detailed notes, I feel like I'm one of the very few. I find it fun, it's almost as if I was there doing the work myself!
burr740, Immortal1 and Grobbins48 like this.

post #874 of 910 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post

Funny, not sure how many actually enjoy the detailed notes, I feel like I'm one of the very few. I find it fun, it's almost as if I was there doing the work myself!
You can count me in this crowd!

Linn- I'll be very curious to know how this filter works out for you! From the pH drop through the cerges, to cleaning and more! Nice write up!
Greggz likes this.

|

post #875 of 910 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
You can count me in this crowd!

Linn- I'll be very curious to know how this filter works out for you! From the pH drop through the cerges, to cleaning and more! Nice write up!
Thank-you @Ken Keating1 and Grobbins48 - was hoping some would enjoy all the non-plant pics :-)

As for the filter - there are many pluses that I can see.

Plus #1 - the drain. As some of you know I have a stub of a stand pipe built into the stand. Great for draining water. Now with the new filter I can drain the water out of the filter easily before servicing it. Makes it a lot easier to carry!!!.
Plus #2 - the drain. Something I realized is I can drain water out of the 75g tank, thru the dirty side of the filter and right out the drain. This will help to keep the dirty side of the filter cleaner. Trust me, the brown/black gunk that comes out of the old filter after 3 or 4 weeks is pretty gross.
Plus #3 - the lid. Getting all the trays back in just right and getting the top to close on the AquaTOP pretty much sucked. Always trial & error. The new FX4 is almost idiot proof - which can be handy!
Plus #4 - the shut off valves. These seem WAY sturdier than the garbage that was on the AquaTOP filter.

Plus #5 - flow! Probably don't need to say much here :-)

Now for the "possible" negatives...
Negative #1 - In the AquaTOP, I used filter floss to polish the water. Did a good job until it got mucked up. After 3 weeks it was pretty much full of fine debris and useless. But... it probably had 2x the surface area of the area for a filter floss in the FX4. This has me a bit worried. But... If I can simply drain off some dirty water every week it may last longer. Time will tell.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #876 of 910 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 10:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

When you say drain off the dirty water, do you mean you can essentially back flush this filter?

|

post #877 of 910 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
When you say drain off the dirty water, do you mean you can essentially back flush this filter?
Sort of. Tank water comes into the filter and goes to the bottom, outer ring (sealed off from the inner column). Then from the bottom, outer ring the water goes up and thru the course filters and then up, over the top of the inner column and down to the pump.
The really dirty muck, in theory, settles at the bottom of the outer ring. The built in drain will drain off the water from that outer ring. So, again in theory, you flush out the really dirty water.

Another item of note (well, 2) - the way I have the filter set up, the fine filter floss is in the very top of the center column. If I want to check/change that filter floss, all I need to do is turn off the filter, close the in/out valves and pop the top. Don't even need to move the filter out :-)
2nd item of note - this thing is dead quiet!!!! WAY better than the AquaTOP which I could hear with the TV on and the cabinet door closed.
Greggz and vvDO like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #878 of 910 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Something to note if anybody finds this thread and/or uses the Tetra Pond Tubing - the plastic ribbing in the tubing is set up in a spiral pattern and is much stronger than it would appear. That being said, a standard hose clamp works good for holding the tubing onto a fitting but will not guarantee a water proof connection. All 4 connections on the pressure side of my set up weeped some and actually got worse as I tried tightening the hose clamp.
In my case I found that plumbing thread paste works wonders for sealing the connection between the tubing and the fitting. (specifically, Harvey brand TFE Paste. Slow setting pipe thread compound)
I tightened the hose clamp only tight enough to keep the hose from moving on the fitting (not very tight).

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #879 of 910 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Another interesting tid bit of information...
the Fluval FX4 puts out more pump pressure than the AquaTOP CF500. I know this in part because of @Greggz and @Bettatail. My Porter flow meter was in operation long enough with the CF500 to know that 14 on the scale worked out nicely for my co2. not so much with the FX4... On several occasions I had to turn on the air stones early as most of the fish were at the surface (not good). Soon realized that the added water pressure was squeezing more co2 into the return water and at a faster rate - oops.
So, thanks to the guys above my new flow meter is making it easier to find the "new" sweet spot for co2 flow. Current at reading 11 - probably go to 10 for tomorrow.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #880 of 910 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Captain

Well this should be an interesting "new" direction for my tank. Huge thank-you to @burr740 for the following. Now I just have to work my butt off to keep these beauties alive :-)
Pics soon
01-Rotala mexicana gopias
02-Staurogyne purple (ya know I like purple)
03-Ludwigia senegalensis (wow, love the color of this one. Really hope it grow well)
04-Eriocaulon kannurense (I have a lot of textures in the tank - but nothing like this)
05-Ludwigia curly tornado (crazy looking plant - should be fun)
06-Hygrophila parawitota (what I like about this one-it is a different shade of green from anything else)
07-Syngonanthus giant (never thought I would get one of these - fingers crossed)
08-Stautogyne porto velho (similar in form to 02 above, but green)
09-Tonina fluviatilis (another one of those on my wish list)
10-Limnophila green wavy (could be a new favorite)

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #881 of 910 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Captain

As promised :-)

Granted, once the new plants start growing and I learn more about them I will probably move them around. But for now I think I will just work on keeping them happy...
Hendy8888, Greggz, rzn7z7 and 5 others like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #882 of 910 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wow Linn that is a LOT of new plants.

You'll have some tough decisions to make once they start filling in. I'm in the same boat, can't keep them all.

Always interesting to see how new species adapt. Look forward to seeing where it goes from here.
Immortal1 and Grobbins48 like this.

---
---
post #883 of 910 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Wow Linn that is a LOT of new plants.

You'll have some tough decisions to make once they start filling in. I'm in the same boat, can't keep them all.

Always interesting to see how new species adapt. Look forward to seeing where it goes from here.
Thanks Gregg. And your right - can't keep them all.

Sitting here looking at the tank, the right side has some contrast with the greens, a little red and the bronze. The challenge will be building contrast on the left side.

The Syngonanthus giant and the Tonina fluviatilis have almost the same shade of green but significantly different leaf shapes. The Ludwigia curly tornado is very unique so it should stand out. As the Hygrophila parawitota grows out, it's darker green color should make a nice statement. A nice dense group of Ludwigia senegalensis with it's reddish color should be a nice addition on the left side. And, a grown out version of the Erio kannurense will look really nice.

Now, who's on the cutting block...
If the Hygrophila parawitota grows big, the Hygrophila 53b will be gone. Bacopa colorata may go as well.
Greggz and Ken Keating1 like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #884 of 910 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

No joke with a lot of plants! Looking forward to seeing how the do! I am in the process of selecting some favorites to keep right now as well- gotta keep crisp presentstion!

Good luck with them!
Immortal1 and Ken Keating1 like this.

|

post #885 of 910 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Captain

It would seem I did not do a very good job at "keeping ALL the new plants healthy" :-(

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode