Nice... I think the best thing about RO is the stability... and of course knowing that nothing else is in your water unless you added it. I’ve had issues with seasonal changes in my tap. GH anywhere from 0-1 to 5.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed - stability is what I am looking for. As our tap water is derived from the "muddy" Mississippi River, we are somewhat at the mercy of what the various watersheds that feed the river provide us. During times of flooding from snow melt, we get pretty good water. Other times we get a lot of fertilizer run off from the surrounding farm land. As you stated, your GH is 0-1 to 5. During flooding mine has dropped to maybe 7dGH. Right now it is running 14dGH and a lot of that is from Calcium.
My hope (goal?) is to try and control as many variables as I can. As @Greggz
has stated many times, find someones tank you like and learn what they are doing to get there. The Share Your Dosing thread https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ng-thread.html
has given me a lot of useful input as to various nutrient levels that seem to work.
Hopefully this weekend I can document a few changes that I have already noticed. The Lagenandra meeboldii "Pink" from Burr740 has been an interesting plant. For the longest time it would produce a new leaf but the would quickly get covered by algae. The leaf stems seemed rather short and the leaves stayed close to the substraight. In the picture above I have noticed that the leaves and stems are much more vertical. Almost like the plant has transitioned from slumped over to tall and happy (best I can explain it). Look at the picture below and compare it to the picture above - Lagenandra looks a lot happier.
The Rotala Sri Lanka Bronze in the back right corner seems to be growing at a faster rate and with a bit more color.
The Rotala Rotundafolia and the Rotala Magenta seem to have bigger leaves and straighter stems.
The other thing I was noticing several weeks ago is the Erio Vietnam was getting covered by a lot of GDA and just looking unhappy in general. Last weekend I pulled all of it, separated the various clumps and saved what I thought was the best portions. With any luck a few weeks in better water will return it to a nice lush green appearance.
One of my other "standards" is the Mermaid weed that I have had forever. Last summer and fall I noted that the lowest leaves looked healthy and were well attached to the stem when I was doing my weekend trimming. This past December and January I noted that most of the lower leaves were getting covered with algae and the lowest leaves weren't holding on as well - obviously something was up.
Ok, so I have rambled enough. Stop back on Sunday and hopefully I will have more to add