Immortal1 75g journey (12.24.2019) - Page 34 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1796Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #496 of 850 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 07:28 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (125/100%)
I see that Barclaya is finally taking off, put some green behind it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #497 of 850 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Various FTS from todays weekly water change day...

Did a major trim on the 75g. Also re-arranged a few groups based on the above suggestion ;-)
Now I just have to wait and see how the changes fill in...

Wifes 40g - still needs a major trim but only had time for a water change.

One of the Betta tanks (really should have cleaned the glass).

The other Betta tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #498 of 850 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Well, now this is interesting - can't say I have ever seen a 2 tone leaf...

And have to give a shout out to Joe @burr740 for some new plants for my addiction - a few stems of limnophila butterfly and several pogostemon helferi downoi

And of course a FTS
Greggz, rzn7z7, burr740 and 2 others like this.

post #499 of 850 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Finally, what I think is a good FTS

post #500 of 850 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice pic!

Much better color rendition than the last one.

Messing around with Pro mode settings?

---
---
post #501 of 850 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Nice pic!

Much better color rendition than the last one.

Messing around with Pro mode settings?

I have been, but in this shot it's actually the lights that made the difference - they are at maybe 20-30% of normal 2pm brightness.

Just sitting here on the couch typing away and I looked over and though... hey that looks good! Wonder what the camera will see?

If I had time, what I should do is fashion some sort of stand for the cell phone, then take a picture every 10 or 15 minutes during the ramp up period of the lights. Maybe then I could figure out when to take my best FTS shot?

Ok, too much work LOL

Edit: in the FTS from the previous post the lights were at full power and I was trying to adjust settings in the pro mode. So, either I suck at pro mode or..... :-)

See, here's what I guess I havn't figured out yet - how can I turn up the light power for better color and yet get a black foreground and nearly black tank background? FYI, this is a pic from Facebook that I found literally minutes after I posted my pic.

Greggz and RainbowRob like this.

Last edited by Immortal1; 09-22-2018 at 05:52 PM. Reason: <?>
post #502 of 850 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 08:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
"If I had time, what I should do is fashion some sort of stand for the cell phone, then take a picture every 10 or 15 minutes during the ramp up period of the lights. Maybe then I could figure out when to take my best FTS shot?"

I don't think you will, j/k. Tank is awesome looking.
Greggz likes this.

Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution;
it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny. — Aristotle
post #503 of 850 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 09:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post

See, here's what I guess I havn't figured out yet - how can I turn up the light power for better color and yet get a black foreground and nearly black tank background? FYI, this is a pic from Facebook that I found literally minutes after I posted my pic.

I don't know how to answer your question. With your radions, are the color channels already being run at full?

Your tank looks really good although I agree the colors in the Facebook tank are just great. From the color bands on the wall, it appears that those are LED lights. Are they DIY or commercial lights?
Greggz likes this.

post #504 of 850 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Captain

@ChrisX I really don't know anything about the tank other than it looks much better than mine. With regards to my color channels, no they are not ALL at full power. Basically they look like this..

post #505 of 850 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 10:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

I am in the same boat, chasing the look with leds. Love your tank.

Ive noticed the substrate color makes a big difference to the overall look of the tank. And also, may influence the way the camera captures the colors.
Greggz and Immortal1 like this.

post #506 of 850 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Immortal1 75g journey (pic heavy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX View Post
I don't know how to answer your question. With your radions, are the color channels already being run at full?

Your tank looks really good although I agree the colors in the Facebook tank are just great. From the color bands on the wall, it appears that those are LED lights. Are they DIY or commercial lights?

I think his question was more towards getting the right exposure to light up all plants while keeping background and tank border well defined/dark.

You may have to play around with some photo editing software. I use adobe photoshop Lightroom cc app, free version you can edit jpegs on your phone. Mess with exposure, contrast, black point, etc.

The trick is when taking the photo make sure high light areas are not overly blown, too bright and you’ll lose detail.

Here’s an edit of the 2nd to last FTS photo you posted, an extreme edit, not very natural looking but see how you can darken certain areas like your background... hope you don’t mind...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Immortal1 likes this.

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #507 of 850 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Ive noticed the substrate color makes a big difference to the overall look of the tank. And also, may influence the way the camera captures the colors.
Good point on the substrate. A monochromatic substrate, whether it be light or dark, tends to make the plants "pop" more, and makes a scape seem more defined.

In your tank Linn, the Helferi is a good example. With a solid dark or light substrate they would "pop" much more.

As to Pro Mode settings, white balance and brightness make the most difference.

With brightness turned down a bit, you'll have less "washed out" areas where too much light causes hot/shiny spots, if that makes sense. Color will look better and deeper, and black background will disappear. Better to take the shot with less brightness, then brighten it up later if you need to.

With the LED's, you also might turn up the color channels. Big difference for me if my highly colored bulbs aren't on. Also, a dark room with no ambient light works best. IMO better to have full lighting for clarity, but adjust camera settings to compensate.

I've been using 4K white balance, but that's just trial and error to see what makes the pics look closest to what you are actually seeing.

But hey, whatever you did on that last one seems to be working pretty well already.
Immortal1 likes this.

---
---
post #508 of 850 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Captain

@vvDO - No, I definitely don't mind learning. Will have to do some experimenting with your suggestions.

"I think his question was more towards getting the right exposure to light up all plants while keeping background and tank border well defined/dark."

Exactly what I am trying to say / do!
Greggz likes this.

post #509 of 850 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 01:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

Do you guys really think it has so much to do with getting the camera settings correct as it does getting the tank / light colors correct?

Are all these wonderful tank shots a result of careful camera work?

post #510 of 850 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 01:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Do you guys really think it has so much to do with getting the camera settings correct as it does getting the tank / light colors correct?

Are all these wonderful tank shots a result of careful camera work?
The camera settings make a world of difference, regardless of the light. White balance, exposure, ISO, shutter speed, etc. can really drive what you are looking for. Not to mention all of the post photo shoot editing you can do with saturation, black levels, highlights, etc.

Now one can do this to try and achieve a picture that is as realistic a possible, or a picture that looks as 'perfect' as can be. Each has their own merits and times to use. I personally attempt to replicate what I see, but at times it is quite a bit of fun to play with different setting in pro editor or lightroom cc.

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode