Immortal1 75g journey (12.24.2019) - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1795Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 850 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 01:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Now that I am running a bit more light I have been paying a bit more attention to the tank hoping I did not end up with algae problem. I typically have a bit of gsa on the glass weekly and on some plants but lately it has gotten worse. So, given @Greggz s recent water testing of Nitrate and Phosphate I though why not, lets see if anything has changed (today was the 3rd macro day of the week). Well, surprise surprise my Phosphate level was 0.5ppm in my tank and 0.25ppm in the wifes tank. Oops. Guess my weekly phosphate total listed in Greggs micro dosing thread is WAY off! So, guess I will be adjusting my E.I. macro dosing a bit - hopefully this helps.

As for the plants, not much to update yet. Other than the need for an extreme trim this afternoon.
Interesting. All I can say is that my own personal experience, I have created more problems dosing too little rather than too many ferts. Especially when you turn up the lights, then you are driving the demand for everything else, both ferts and CO2.

And for me, I have to dose more than EI on Phosphates, or my tank doesn't like it. And I think in many ways your tank is very similar to mine, in that you have a larger than normal fish stocking.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes for you, and I am glad to see you pushing things a bit further. Going to be time soon to send a new batch of plants to try. Let me know when you are ready.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 850 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
:-) Yes I am pushing things a bit harder than I used to. The way I see it I have 2 issues to resolve before I take you up on your offer.
Get my ferts right and get Mother Nature to quit being so damn cold, LOL
Have a few new plants waiting to be sent from StrungOut - just have to wait a bit so I don't end up with beautiful blocks of ice.

Hopefully the added Phosphate with get things looking better again. Funny thing is not that long ago I was running 4-5ppm Phosphate using roughly the same done. Guess things change a bit when you step on the gas pedal.
Greggz, Greggz, mbkemp and 1 others like this.

post #153 of 850 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Time for a few updates. Was recently following along on a thread dealing with MGSO4 dosing/deficiencies which got me thinking (dangerous?). So I ended up asking @Seattle_Aquarist a few questions and of course that lead to some great answers and then more questions LOL. In the end I learned I am very likely running low on Magnesium and likely a few other items as well. Gave my first dose of Equilibrium last nite and subsequently learned just how cloudy I could make my tank water :-(
But, I have a feeling things will be improving even more in the near future. During this process I also learned where the manual camera settings are on my LG-G6 phone! This has proven to be VERY handy in getting pictures to LOOK like they do in person.

As a good example, this is pretty close to what I see in person with regards to my dwarf rotala - it is actually changing color to something other than typical green!!!

This picture is one that Roy spent some time commenting on. I am guess some experienced eyeballs can see some of the issues that have been eluding me for many months. Hey, at least I am learning what to look for - feel like I finally graduated Deficiencies 101

Kinda another pic of the same grouping of plants but I think it shows some of the color progression using the stronger lighting. With any luck the additional Phosphate will help minimize the GSA on the older leaves.

Got my fingers crossed that in a couple weeks I will have some impressive new growth :-)

post #154 of 850 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 10:14 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (124/100%)
Looking good man. How much Ca/Mg did you have before and what are you adding now? Just curious about the exact change...
Greggz and Greggz like this.

post #155 of 850 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Honestly don't know exactly how much Ca I have/had. My GH is 13-14 and my KH is 8. I have a pretty nice Red Sea tester for Magnesium but I have to modify the testing method to get a decent result (5ml test water instead of 2ml. This gave me a 4ppm resolution instead of the 20ppm resolution of the standard kit). With all that said, best guess was 12ppm Magnesium. The local water report show Magnesium was ND Water Quality Report

As for what I did - I added approximately 6 tsp of Equilibrium to my estimated 58 gallons water column. This should have given me a 2 degree increase in the GH if I understand things correctly. Likely won't notice anything yet, but am curious how the tank looks when I get home from work tonite.

post #156 of 850 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Uh Oh.........higher light, more ferts, dosing Mg/Ca, getting more color from your plants.............looks like you are going down the rabbit hole now!!

And once you get started, tough to go back.

Like what I am seeing, and looking forward to seeing what comes next.

---
---
post #157 of 850 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Captain

I really hope there is something good at the bottom - kinda scarry looking......

post #158 of 850 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
I really hope there is something good at the bottom - kinda scarry looking......
Trust Me!
It's really good at the bottom!
Been there forever!
Greggz, Greggz, Immortal1 and 1 others like this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #159 of 850 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Ok, time for some more pics now that I thin I got these manual settings figured out on my phone...

Pogo Kimberly is starting to look very nice. Now I just have to wait a few weeks (months) to get some nice health "complete" stems vs just the tops.

As for the Mermaid Weed, the top leaves are a little less deformed and getting more yellow every day

The Ludwigia Rubin just keeps getting darker red (or less green, I guess), the new growth on the Limnophila aromatica 'mini' seems to be nice and healthy and the Myrio guyana 'mini' just grows like a weed!

Now, whats really crazy (at least to me) is how my 20g low tech tank is looking these days. Originally this tank was just a place to store excess plants while I figured out what to do with them. Eventually I noticed that some of the plants that did not like growing in my 75g seemed to love being in the 20g. Gregg and I have discussed several times how much we just love Telanthera Cardinalis (Alternanthera reineckii cardinalis) - it just hated being in my 75g. Well, in the 20g it actually grew to the water surface!!! The jungle val on the far left just keeps growing. the other odd one is the Staurogyne repens which is just right of the Jungle Val - it looks totally different in my 75g tank (short and compact). On a whim I added some of the Limnophila aromatica 'mini' from the 75g to the 20g (just right of the S Repens) and was surprised again at how much healthier it looks in the 20g. Oh well, maybe one of these days I will figure all this stuff out, LOL
Greggz, Greggz, rzn7z7 and 7 others like this.

post #160 of 850 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Did a video as well, just had to wait for it to upload....

post #161 of 850 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 11:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Linn that Rubin looks like it is getting happier. And the 20G is really nice. We've seen this before where people have the same plant in two seemingly similar tanks, and the plants react quite differently. Just goes to show what a fine line it is sometimes.

And I love seeing the video. Looks like the Bows and other fish are doing well. Always nice to convey the sense of movement. One of the favorite parts of my tank.

---
---
post #162 of 850 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Well, this is a bit of a surprise. Was doing regular maintenance and water change today and noticed something a bit odd with my Crinum Calamistratum (see pic below). Evidently these things and/do flower!!! Have had this plant for at lease 2 years and never knew this. Went to Google Images and actually found many pictures of the flower - very cool. So, with any luck this stub will actually turn into a beautiful flower... maybe.

post #163 of 850 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Captain

So, today was a pretty good day :-)
Received 2 different packages of plants today. Thankyou to @burr740 and @StrungOut. Everything arrived in excellent condition before our weather turned to $#!^
In this pic, you can see the new Barclaya Longifolia Red and Myriophyllum Red Stem along with a Lobelia Cardinalis along with a new Eriocaulon Lineare and some Syngonanthus :-)

In this pic, you can see how the Pogo Kimberly and Mermaid Weed are doing since I started adding some MGSO4 and/or Equalibrium based on input from @Seattle_Aquarist

And of course, this would not be a complete post without a FTS...

Definitely learning the dwarf rotala grows like a weed when parameters are close to correct and lights are bright! Bet I can get more than 1" per week. Really looking forward to how some of the older plants look in a few weeks - hoping new growth is looking the way it should instead of deformed and wilted.

Last edited by Immortal1; 01-12-2018 at 01:17 AM. Reason: <?>
post #164 of 850 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Getting better all the time!

I've seen this coming for a while. How are you enjoying the transition?

---
---
post #165 of 850 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi @Immortal1,

Glad to see the positive results!

Based upon the 1/6/18 pictures you posted of the Mermaid Weed it looks like a little more Equilibrium and/or calcium is needed and either your NO3 or Fe is low. You still have leaf tip 'hooking' on the new leaves (Ca) and the new leaves shouldn't be that yellow, if the veins were green I would say Fe but they look overall yellow so it could be NO3. Have you checked your nutrient ppm's lately; with the improved growth the nutrient uptake may have increased.
mbkemp and mbkemp like this.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode